cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with 4cyl Sorento?

sdmia49
Explorer
Explorer
My 19 Kia Sorento (4 cylinder) has a 2000 pound towing capacity. Bought a used Pop Up that weighs 1200.
If we take our time and travel slow, will we be successful towing about 2.5 hours away in some foothill mountain regions? Thanks for all info and tips!
35 REPLIES 35

Bedlam
My 1.9 TDI and 1.6 EcoTec both had automatics and have no problem towing 1500 lbs. At the 2000 limit, I avoid mountain passes. Conservative driving will get you there and back multiple times safely. Try driving the car like it is empty and you will wear it out or break something quickly.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just FYI here. My Sorento has a great trans in it with a factory external cooler. Has a Asin Trans. Same company that Rams use.
235K on it and runs great.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bet it pulls, handles and stops better than my 1985 S10 V6 with a slightly higher rating.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
just my .02cts, no 4 bang auto was made to be a tow truck. but thats just me. the engines not made for towing,, brakes not made for towing,,tranny not made for towing. ok I,m done.I feel much better

So according to you all Subarus (4cyl) can't tow. Interesting. I wonder why I can?
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Look up the price of the front bumper for the Sorento. Bet it cost more than the axle. And than bumper would not always be the only cost if did not get stopped in time. What is that kid on a bicycle worth?

Why would i do that? I said they would be close to capacity already. I stated the fact that it wasn't built with breaks, listed the brochure showing the weight under 900 lbs and said it wasnt break ready. I never said breaks are not safer, or will help you stop better. Only that it didnt have them, and wouldn't be required.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

sdmia49
Explorer
Explorer
travisc wrote:
Take it to a scale see what it weights so you no, do a couple of panic stops with it in a controlled area, see if you comfortable with it. The decision is really yours. Good luck and enjoy it,
This is exactly the plan before our first trip. Thank you!

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
^ what kind of bike is he riding?

joking joking.
the sorento actually makes a nice tow vehicle for small trailers when properly eqiuipped. i almsot bought one before we settled on our explorer (direct competators) and a good frined has one (though he went v6). i suspect it has pleanty of stopping power. we used a gen 2 explorer to pull a 2500 lbs pop up all over the place and it was never an issue. i would be more worried about cooking the trans and even then if he keeps OD off i dont see it being a problem short term. Thats a starter trailer if ive ever seen one. When its time to upgrade after a season or few, plan to upgrade the tow vehicle as well.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

sdmia49
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
You can do it, but if you have never towed before, be aware of a couple of things.

If the Sedona has an automatic with overdrive, you should lock out the overdrive. An auto that has to hunt back and forth for the right gear all the time will cause the converter in the transmission to unlock and allow slippage, which creates heat, and heat kills trannys.

Going down a mountain grade, you must go as slowly as you went up the other side. Shift down to hold the rig back, using brakes sparingly for brief bursts. If you ride your brakes too much they'll overheat and give out, and you'll be a runaway rig.

If you decide you want to upgrade to trailer brakes, look under the trailer behind the wheel. If you see a square metal plate with probably 4 holes at the corners, that's a mounting plate for brakes; add the brake kit, wiring on tug and trailer, and you're set. If there's no backer plate for the brakes to mount, you'd need a new axle with the plates and brakes.

I once long ago towed a U-Haul 'egg' camper trailer with a 4 cyl Dodge Omni on a 2000 mile vacation from MI to CO and back. 90 HP didn't do so well, and I only drove 50 mph or less most of the time. But we had a nice vacation (other than some issues with the trailer's furnace and leaking front window). Not saying I'd do it that way again; now I'd want a few more horses (which you have double) and trailer brakes.
REALLY appreciate all of the tips and information.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Las Vegas Proud wrote:

He should be fine, if heโ€™s only towing a little over 1200lbs as long as he downshifts on hills. The car is rated for 2k they should have taken pulling and stopping into that equation. OP take it easy and you should be fine.

I don't know anything about the OP's cage, and how it is rated. But my full size pickup has a tow rating well over 2000 lbs. BUT the manual clearly states any trailer over 1000 lbs needs brakes. And that 1000 lbs would put the GCVW right at the GVWR of the pickup. The brakes are designed to stop GVWR, with some margin for safety. Pulling 1200 lb trailer, I know I would be in that margin. Is the Sorento designed to haul 1200 lbs?

Sjm9911 wrote:
It didnt have brakes when it was built, and i dont think you could put them on if you wanted to without a whole new axle.

Look up the price of the front bumper for the Sorento. Bet it cost more than the axle. And than bumper would not always be the only cost if did not get stopped in time. What is that kid on a bicycle worth?

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Something to keep in mind is your tongue weight will take away from your overall vehicle carrying capacity https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2019-Kia-Sorento-2.4L_L__4dr_Front_wheel_Drive/specs/

You and your passengers plus your gear. And trailer tongue should add up to less than gross vehicle weight to fall within manufacturer specs, if you camp like you say you do, itโ€™s looks good, take the down hills slow leave lots of space for breaking you should be good
Winnebago Access 24V

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Take it to a scale see what it weights so you no, do a couple of panic stops with it in a controlled area, see if you comfortable with it. The decision is really yours. Good luck and enjoy it,
Winnebago Access 24V

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
You can do it, but if you have never towed before, be aware of a couple of things.

If the Sedona has an automatic with overdrive, you should lock out the overdrive. An auto that has to hunt back and forth for the right gear all the time will cause the converter in the transmission to unlock and allow slippage, which creates heat, and heat kills trannys.

Going down a mountain grade, you must go as slowly as you went up the other side. Shift down to hold the rig back, using brakes sparingly for brief bursts. If you ride your brakes too much they'll overheat and give out, and you'll be a runaway rig.

If you decide you want to upgrade to trailer brakes, look under the trailer behind the wheel. If you see a square metal plate with probably 4 holes at the corners, that's a mounting plate for brakes; add the brake kit, wiring on tug and trailer, and you're set. If there's no backer plate for the brakes to mount, you'd need a new axle with the plates and brakes.

I once long ago towed a U-Haul 'egg' camper trailer with a 4 cyl Dodge Omni on a 2000 mile vacation from MI to CO and back. 90 HP didn't do so well, and I only drove 50 mph or less most of the time. But we had a nice vacation (other than some issues with the trailer's furnace and leaking front window). Not saying I'd do it that way again; now I'd want a few more horses (which you have double) and trailer brakes.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
The prices have went up a bit due to corona virus and people buying anything they can. I wouldn't be surprised if its at 2500.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You're talking about a 1994 Palomino popup here, hardly going to break the bank. If you're paying more than $1000 for it, you're paying too much. Go get it, hitch it to the Kia, bring it home, and prove it to yourself.

The trip home isn't going to kill you or the car unless something was already ready to come apart. That would be entirely on you for not properly maintaining the car.

If you don't like it you can turn around and sell the trailer for what you paid, or at worst lose a couple hundred dollars.

I am all but 100% certain you are going to hit the road and wonder what all these people with the doom and gloom predictions were talking about. Modern cars are designed with braking power to spare, because so many people drive like sausages these days. They need to panic stop more than ever, so manufacturing a car that handles and brakes well is of the utmost importance. Of course you can no longer drive like a sausage with a trailer in tow, but you knew that.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.