cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bunkhouse Feedback

MN4Runner
Explorer
Explorer
We are upgrading from a small popup to a small bunkhouse travel trailer. The list we're looking at is as follows:

Keystone Springdale Mini 1800BH
Keystone Hideout 175BH
Coachmen Clipper Cadet 17CBH
Jayco Jay Flight SLX 7 174BH
KZ Sportsmen Classic SE 180BHSE
KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
Gulf Stream Ameri-Lite 198BH
Dutchmen Aspen Trail LE 1760BH
Coleman Lantern LT 17B

Anybody have any feedback on any of these? Thank you!
17 REPLIES 17

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned a dozen entry level trailers and Jayco is the best built.

Large holding tanks on cheap trailers can literally fall to the ground. Better ones that are smaller and well engineered.

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
We recently bought a Wildwood FSX 179 DBK and are very happy with it. The features that drew us to this one are: (1) full size gas/electric fridge (2)LARGE camp side dinette window (3)double over double bunks that are open(not coffin like)with windows that open (4)large tank sizes (5)bathroom sink with mirrored medicine cabinet (6)rooftop air conditioner(stories of wall mounted leaking inside) (7) huge kitchen sink. It came with a rear mounted outside shower,blank tank flusher,solar ready,back up camera ready,wifi ready and usb plugs everywhere. It has a small"outside kitchen"which is just a small 110v fridge and a drawer which I removed to use it as a storage area. I do wish it had a little more inside storage but we manage fine. It is an entry level trailer but it is well appointed and built by Forest River,a well known name.
2022 F-150 STX 2,7 Ecoboost
2016 Jayco 23 BHM

MN4Runner
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:

What is you weight max?

Toyota says the 4Runner can take 5,000 lbs. but I'm limiting the weight to 3,500 lbs. or less.

MN4Runner
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
The biggest thing is the tanks are TINY which wasn't a huge deal in the past as we just used the bath house at the campground like we always had when tent camping.

Excellent tip, thank you!

MN4Runner
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:

Unless ofcourse your opposed to slides.

I'm not opposed to slides at all. Very neutral on them...

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I only have small BH TT experience with what I bought.
That said, I recommend you look at double axle models or look for one with a 5K axle. Mine, and many, has a 3500# axle which significantly limits CC, even with the 3877# GVWR which counts the tongue weight carried by the TV.
Second, I didn’t want to hassle with a Murphy bed. NOW I consider crawling over one another to get out of a East-west bed more of a hassle than a north-south Murphy would have been ;(
Lance has a super reputation, Jayco comes close.
Your reasons for a bunkhouse are your own. Ours was for our grandkids. I’ve since removed the upper bunk for lack of use and more space.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is a heavier by like 1000 lbs give or take a few. But does have larger tanks. Loaded im probably about 4900. Not bad. I had a 2012 sierra and tbh wasnt fun towing on long trips i was probably closer to 5400 on that one and had the truck bed full. People say they have no problems towing with a 1500 at like 8000 lbs, my experience was the exact opposite. Especially when entering the hyway or trying to keep speeeds up.

Op, how many people? And what are you towing with? Hybrids are nice also. Mine is an expandable. So it has a rear bed slide. Lots of stuff out there, just have to find the right one at the right price.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sjm9911 wrote:
afidel wrote:
Love our 181BH, but after having it a few years we're ready to move up. The biggest thing is the tanks are TINY which wasn't a huge deal in the past as we just used the bath house at the campground like we always had when tent camping. Now with covid it's becoming an issue as there's no way I'm using shared facilities so we now have to get full hookups even for a long weekend. The other big issue is it's pretty tight on bad weather days, definitely looking forward to comfortable seating for all 4 of us with the next trailer. I personally wouldn't even consider any of the other units since without the dinette slide they're absolutely cramped even on good weather days. Most of those manufacturers have a similar unit to the 181BH with the dinette in a slide, I'd strongly recommend looking at those.

That thing is light. And i see what you mean about the tabks.

I would definitely get a side slide out if you could manage it. So much more space. What is you weight max? I like mine , but if i had to do it over defently a side slide out.

My GVWR is 3,600 which is almost exactly what we weighed stocked for a 3 week trip with 5 people according to the CAT scale ticket, normally with 4 of us (we took my niece on the big trip) and a shorter trip we're a few hundred pounds under.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
Every one of those is an entry level model. The quality will be very low. I would recommend looking at a different level of trailer!

Quality of components is low across the industry, only custom units have any true quality. The advantage low end units have is they have less features, so less to break.
Equalizer 10k WDH

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 Keystone Hideout 19FLBWE.... no slide. This one was mfg. in Oregon and has been a very good unit. Towed it from Oregon to FL, nary a problem.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Every one of those is an entry level model. The quality will be very low. I would recommend looking at a different level of trailer!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
Love our 181BH, but after having it a few years we're ready to move up. The biggest thing is the tanks are TINY which wasn't a huge deal in the past as we just used the bath house at the campground like we always had when tent camping. Now with covid it's becoming an issue as there's no way I'm using shared facilities so we now have to get full hookups even for a long weekend. The other big issue is it's pretty tight on bad weather days, definitely looking forward to comfortable seating for all 4 of us with the next trailer. I personally wouldn't even consider any of the other units since without the dinette slide they're absolutely cramped even on good weather days. Most of those manufacturers have a similar unit to the 181BH with the dinette in a slide, I'd strongly recommend looking at those.

That thing is light. And i see what you mean about the tabks.

I would definitely get a side slide out if you could manage it. So much more space. What is you weight max? I like mine , but if i had to do it over defently a side slide out.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Bunk house travel trailer have become scarce. Smaller families ? Less families camping ? COVID-19 has changed that. I expect you will see more bunk house trailer, especially in the <6,000 lbs size for next model year.

IMHO, and outdoor kitchen is a waste of interior space and adds weight and cost. If you want to cook outside, get a camp table and use a portable propane stove or better, a BBQ.

Even a small slide makes a huge difference in interior room. Same with Murphy beds.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Equalizer 10k WDH