Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bike rack solution

roaminaround
Explorer
Explorer
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0dCgUnsQvlcLlBgtkw0LIuxhQ
Hope this pic comes thru. We had a custom wrap around receiver built that clamps on the bumper with 3 u-bolts. Then we put a ratcheting strap from the bike rack to the ladder to eliminate bouncing while on the road. You can easily remove the rack to fit in your truck receiver if you want to take the bikes somewhere. The ratcheting strap is key to making this a solid safe solution. We have used this set-up on 3 different trailers over 15 years and thousands of miles and never had an issue.

Note: Moderator edit to fix picture URL
2019 Rockwood 2608BS
2018 Ford F250 6.7 diesel
2006 Fish Rite 18' Yamaha 115 and T8
5 REPLIES 5

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
I just added a couple of eye screws to the meat on the corners of the trailer as I dont have a ladder and racket strap from left side,around bikes and hook to right side, so bikes do not bounce...
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Glad to hear no issues over 15 years. Bumpers rated for this extra weight?

Weight is not the issue. The issue is the flexing caused by the long "moment arm". The strap helps mitigate both issues.

X2 and I can see how the OP's rack could work by eliminating the flex and rocking motion caused by the bolt-on racks. Trailer bumpers are stamped sheet metal ad basically as strong as a beer can. It's not the weight but the flexing that cracks them.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:

Weight is not the issue. The issue is the flexing caused by the long "moment arm". The strap helps mitigate both issues.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
roaminaround wrote:
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0dCgUnsQvlcLlBgtkw0LIuxhQ
Hope this pic comes thru. We had a custom wrap around receiver built that clamps on the bumper with 3 u-bolts. Then we put a ratcheting strap from the bike rack to the ladder to eliminate bouncing while on the road. You can easily remove the rack to fit in your truck receiver if you want to take the bikes somewhere. The ratcheting strap is key to making this a solid safe solution. We have used this set-up on 3 different trailers over 15 years and thousands of miles and never had an issue.

Likk
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad