Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Lesson learned lol
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Lesson learned lol

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Shwthomas1975

MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I pulled the rod out of the hot water heater the end of last season to drain the hot water tank. Seems I should have put back in after it was empty. I just tried to scare it back in and it is so corroded I can’t get the threads to start. I write brushed both so they look ok, but I can’t get it to start. Anyone have any suggestions???
Thanks in advance.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a new one?

Terry 25

Hagerstown, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/20 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tricky to get started. Had to kind of press down on the nut while turning to get rod parallel to bottom of tank. Easier to do than to explain. Good luck. You'll get it.

2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I empty my HW tank between uses using the low point drains.. I open both and then open the pressure relief valve on the HW tank and it drains out the bottom of the tank thru the cold water line. I get pretty much 6 gallons of water out (I put a bucket under the drain). This is the first trailer I have had that has the "rod" in it.. Guess I won't know if it does any good for a few more years, but that's what I'm doing for now.. I have removed it once already, but that was before I started doing it from the low point drains..

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably have to bite the bullet and get a 3/4" NPT tap and clean up the threads. That's what I did. I tried the "cut slots in a pipe" and a couple other things, but the tap is about the only thing you can depend on to do the trick.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Probably have to bite the bullet and get a 3/4" NPT tap and clean up the threads. That's what I did. I tried the "cut slots in a pipe" and a couple other things, but the tap is about the only thing you can depend on to do the trick.

Same. Tap worked great. I tried the slots in a pipe, using a rotary wire brush, etc. None of it worked. Two minutes with the tap and all was great.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.amazon.com/Drill-America-Qua........locphy=9027230&hvtargid=pla-439296128812

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a good price for that size tap too. Since you're just chasing threads, that one should work just fine.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They can be tricky to get started sometimes. The weight of the rod tends to make it want to tip down.

Mine has been pretty corroded at times, but I have always managed to get it in.

Doesn't help with the various components in the way either.

I always start mine by hand, looking at it to make sure it is straight in and not cross threaded. You can tell by looking at it whether it is in straight or not. If you cross thread it and try cranking it in, you will mess up the threads. Then the above mentioned tap to chase the threads will become essential.

I have always used a stiff wire brush on the rod threads, and a small toothbrush sized wire brush on the tank threads.

Never had a problem that required a tap. If it comes out, it will go back in.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/20 01:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This may help in getting it started -- instead of holding it in your hand, hold it in a socket of the right size -- I think 1" and 1/16?? That enables you to keep the rod perfectly horizontal, which is not easy by hand alone.

And if the nut is too loose in the socket, put some masking tape on the nut so that the socket fits more tightly. As soon as the nut begins to thread into the hole, take the tape off the nut.

Hope this helps!!

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Lesson learned lol
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.