Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Fifth Wheel hitch question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fifth Wheel hitch question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Jolyne

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, we have just purchased our first fifth wheel and should be picking it up in a few day. The seller is including the Hitch and rails. I was going to look into getting a hitch with a slider since we have a short box but from this picture of the camper it looks like the hitch is a slider hitch? Can anyone let me know what you think?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/50117342467/in/dateposted-public/

[image]
Note: Moderator edit to show picture.

* This post was last edited 07/16/20 08:49am by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you ask the seller?

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/20 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It does appear to be a slider, but like above mentioned, talk to the seller. Find out the brand of hitch, age of hitch, how he liked this hitch, does it still work great? If you post the brand/model of hitch, many on here can tell you of their experience, with that model.

Welcome to the forum,

Jerry

Jolyne

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, thanks for the replys. I just could not contact them today and was wondering. [emoticon]

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/20 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just an FYI. We used to tow with a short bed pickup and added a slider. We never used it, ever. After going to a long bed, we didn't need it.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/20 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It does look like a slider hitch...but still better to confirm with the seller.

We have a slider that came with our first 5th wheel...never actually used the function.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/20 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That looks like a pretty rudimentary hitch to me. It has a slide bar latch mechanism and I can't see any side to side articulation. Those lower rails may just be attachment brackets to universal rails that are mounted in your truck. Depending on your year truck and mounting options, I would consider upgrading the hitch.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/20 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

That looks like a pretty rudimentary hitch to me. It has a slide bar latch mechanism and I can't see any side to side articulation. Those lower rails may just be attachment brackets to universal rails that are mounted in your truck. Depending on your year truck and mounting options, I would consider upgrading the hitch.

I think the problem is the hitch is spun around backwards. It looks like ours which does have side to side articulation and fits standard rails.

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/20 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

My guess it is a slider. The blue line points to what appears to be rollers. The white line points to the slider operating arm.

The yellow line points to what is the center pivot rod which gives the hitch side to side articulation.

Also it appears the hitch is slid back and not rotated. The arm used to release the king pin is on the left side. I have never seen a release arm on the right (passenger) side of a hitch.

I do not see how the type of jaws can be determined.

* This post was edited 07/17/20 11:36am by RCMAN46 *

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/20 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't state what your truck is, but does your it have the factory installed puck system for a fifth wheel hitch? BTW, that hitch looks like a piece of junk to me. Maybe usable, but a newer one would perform better.

And with that front end, you are more than likely to have contact with the cab if you don't have and use a slider - you state you have a short bed.

I'd look into a B&W Companion slider - heavy, but no chucking. Yes it is manual, but doesn't come with a lot of the issues with an auto slider - do your research. Or you can look into the Anderson hitch which places the trailer almost a foot back and is very light weight.

And people who say that they never used the slider function don't have a tight radius to make when backing. I don't use mine when backing into my storage space - but only because it a straight shot into it, and I only have to maneuver slightly. Good luck

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fifth Wheel hitch question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.