cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford 550 Verses Dodge Ram 5500 Diesel

Mjonesten8
Explorer
Explorer
I’m looking at Super C. Ford or Dodge diesel chassis? Anyone having serious issues with either? Also considering Freightliner M2 just not sure it’s worth 75-80 K more. Any advice appreciated. Renegade and Dunamax brands being considered.
5 REPLIES 5

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
From what I've read, most of the CP4 failures are in rigs that are pushed to maximum horsepower, or get contaminated with water. That pump will explode if even a small amount of water gets in it. The pump has very fine tolerances, and it helps if you use 20% bio-diesel, or run an aftermarket lubrication like Optilube. I put a lift pump on my 2016 Duramax which helps the situation.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Ford or Fiat. Seems like an easy decision.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ FWIW, the CP4 disaster prevention kit is not being marketed by any companies yet that I’ve seen however there is a guy on Cumminsforum developing one.
It’s likely one of those preventative things I’d put on either truck with a CP4 just because.
As far as capability, both are de tuned versions of the pickup engines.
I haven’t driven either of the newer models just older 6.7s of both brands.
Flip a coin whether you want a blue oval or a Ram I’d say.
(I’d want a Ram....)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a `18 Ram with the CTD and I'm quite happy, but in 2019 Ram switched over to the Bosch CP4.2 injector pump that has proven to be problimatic to some because the injector pump can hand grenade and spew metal into the fuel system resulting in many thousands of dollars to repair.

Ford has been using this injector pump for many years and while there are people who've had no problems and say that this topic is akin to the sky falling, I'm sure if you had to pay out of pocket to have repaired, then you'd be singing a different tune.

There are aftermarket fuel bypass systems for the Ford that if the pump does grenade, then it will spare destruction further down the line. I'm sure something for the CTD is in the pipeline as well.

Something to research and consider before your purchase. I have a friend who has a 3/4T Ford and the interior seems roomier than mine.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
No personal experience with any/either of your options.
So, this might seem silly, but if you fire them both up, and put the engines under some acceleration stress, which one runs quieter? At idle, which one? At slower neighborhood speeds? Freeway cruising?
I'd choose the quieter one of the two/group.
Just sayin'...
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)