Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Airbags not working with overloads
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Airbags not working with overloads

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/20 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timbren makes a front kit for your truck, https://timbren.com/i-30497575.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/20 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BigfootBill wrote:

I just put on Airlift airbags on my 3500 and am finding that it is preventing the load from being carried on the overloads.

When I bought my camper in Ohio, it loaded up nicely and the truck sat with the frame perfectly level. I was happy with how it rode for the most part

Bill, reading your subsequent post about the eloquent solutions you're thinking of, go back to this statement. You didn't have a problem in the first place, for the most part.
Why the airbags are bottoming out before the suspension from another post, is a mystery. Possible you got 4wd bags or brackets and they're too tall for your 2 wheeler?
Like I mentioned, there's easily installed products or hacks that will engage both your overloads sooner, only raising ride height slightly and help with bottoming out. Don't over think it and use all the suspension you have on the truck before adding "more" suspension.
That's basically defeating the purpose if you want it to ride lower (more level) and some of your potential solutions will put you back in the same boat.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/20 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

Timbren makes a front kit for your truck, https://timbren.com/i-30497575.

Why would he need front timbrens? No extra weight on the front.
Are you suggesting shimming them tight so they raise the front (and ride like sht)?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WyoBull wrote:

I have not had that problem with my 2017 F350 and I have Torklift upper Stableloads in addition to Airlift 5000 Ultimate air bags.

I am wondering if it is a Dodge Ram issue as I have not heard of this before with the Super Duty's? My camper weighs 3600-3800 lbs fully wet For my camper, that means putting about 35 lbs of air in the bags.

The only issue with the Ram is how the OP is handling it. And maybe the bags are bottoming out before the springs are.
Sounds like his springs are stouter than your ford if you need 35psi to help your springs with your camper weight.
Apples and Tomatoes comparison.
$20 says if he slapped a set of wedges in the lower springs or lowered the upper overload pads (upper stable loads or other means), it would add just enough to keep from bottoming out.

The add on things are all band-aids (save for sway bars). My truck is full of them because the OE springs can't handle the weight I'm putting on them. If they could (in the OP's case) then minimizing the bolt on **** is the best method.

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
[image]
Some more advice. Take the bags off and leave the brackets on. With the truck unloaded look at the distance in between the lower and the upper bracket. Then load the truck up with your overloads engaged. It should be obvious that the space is too small for the bags to fit. I modified the lower bracket to get the space needed for the bags to fit.

You will have to cut and re-weld the lower bracket down as far as you can get. It stretches the bag out unloaded somewhat but I had to do this for the same reason. The air bags were bottoming out before the overload springs were completely functional. Don't trust that the stock brackets are correct...mine defiantly were not... the height of the bracket was incorrect. Mine works great now. Look and see if you have any space between the lower bag bracket and the spring pack bracket.
[image]

* This post was last edited 07/19/20 04:02pm by KKELLER14K *   View edit history

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/20 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had several rams with top overload springs. the problem I have found is some loads your springs are just hitting the overload springs, but when you hit a bump and "bang" the upper spring hits the overload bracket and you feel the jolt in the suspension.

now you have air bags on and it jacked up teh truck so your sitting higher, and I bet the overloads are banging even harder when you hit them.

ON my 2006 I replaced the thinner overload pads on the frame with a set of these (you will need 2 sets, or 4 bumpers)
click here
they are not designed to be used in this job, but I ran them 100,000 miles with different 5th wheels and a Wolf Creek truck camper with no problem (my brother still owns the truck with them installed). what these do is as the weight goes up, these hit the springs sooner, but because of the holes in them they compress some and take the JOLT out of the springs banging into the frame perches.

Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz.

Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range

BigfootBill

Central NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/20 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the different perspectives. I stole from several of you to get to where I am. I did various loaded and unloaded measurements and it was eye opening from several perspectives.

1 - With only the suspension loaded with the camper, air bags not present, I was about half an inch off the bumpstops, which is why I was having them hit some on my drive home after purchase.
2 - With the airbags aired down, and siting fully on the bags internal stops, the camper ended up being perfectly level taken on the refrigerator. Although the tire wells were different heights, various factors ended up combining to be where I wanted even though I didn't realize it.

With that information, I am going to play around with upper overload stop extension lengths to try to get the fully loaded suspension to be just above the air bag bump stops to try to be close to level when aired down and then air up the bags to get 1-1.5 inches of travel in the suspension when driving and see how that rides.

This will end up being a long way around to getting to where a large percentage of truckcamper+airbag users end up with the upper stable loads and airbags. Once I have the airbag pressure and overload extensions dialed in, I expect that I should be happy with the ride.

KKeller - thanks for the pictures. I had a similar thought to cut down the lower bracket for the airbags to get it sit closer to the axle (my bags replace the factory bump stop, directly under the frame) and may still do that depending on how my extension experiment goes. I can gain about 3/4 inches from that lower bracket.

2008 Ram 3500
2004 Bigfoot 10.11

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same issue and I wanted an inexpensive fix...
So I decided to do this with items I had on hand:

[image]

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

BigfootBill

Central NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

towpro wrote:

ON my 2006 I replaced the thinner overload pads on the frame with a set of these (you will need 2 sets, or 4 bumpers)
click here

I found an old post on here where someone had done this exact mod. It may have been you, I dont remember. If these end up being a similar length to what I get narrowed down I may try these, especially if the unloaded truck is slapping the overloads on bumps too much.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

$10 worth of hockey pucks after carrying my heavy camper (up to 6500 lb) for 30k miles.
Btw I sold original pads for $25.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Airbags not working with overloads
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.