Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Deep metal "groaning sound" from hitch. Is this normal?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Deep metal "groaning sound" from hitch. Is this normal?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
grampacc

B.c.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have the same hitch. Bought pads fron Equal-i-zer website for bars to sit on. Lubricate bar where it goes into socket. Equal-i-zer sells it too, but I now use Extreme Graphite as is less messy. Need to apply after all hook-ups.

Cheers.

joshuajim

Mojave Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/20 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve been using a Equalizer for many years. Early on I had the typical groaning. I studied the installation and discovered that when fully loaded for a trip that the bars were not 100% perpendicular with the L brackets. This resulted in the bars rubbing on a thin edge, not the full flat L bracket surface. I adjusted the L brackets to be 100% perpendicular with a carpenters square when static and the noise mysteriously went away. Now when moving at road speed the trailer will porpoise some and the bars will constantly change contact which is normal.

RVing since 1995.

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/20 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These work well to reduce noise. I'm told they reduce sway control a bit just like grease.
If you have the new L pin with the clip attached you will need the smaller pad made for that pin.
L bracket pads

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

DaveRVman

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/20 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks a bunch guys! Really answered my question. [emoticon]

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/20 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No pun intended, but do you have your ball greased and other moving parts with WD-40 or lithium grease on them. When not towing use a cut tennis ball with grease (bearing grease) in it and put it over the ball, this will keep it greased and clean.

harley4275

Belle River, On

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/20 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pads are called "bracket jackets" and well worth the 20bucks. Also a dab of grease where the bars move at the head. And on the ball too.

2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/20 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

mike-uswest wrote:

I have a Husky Center-line hitch, and it makes a lot of noise when you first start out, but does get a little better after awhile. A drop of lithe oil on the rub area seems to help, but I guess that nullifies it's main action.

Mike

Yeah that pretty well kills the swaycontrol

NO TRUE AT ALL, if it's like the Equal-i-zer system where the friction on the WD bar to frame "L" brackets are secondary to the main sway control which is from the sockets on the hitch head assembly.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/20 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LarryJM wrote:

NO TRUE AT ALL, if it's like the Equal-i-zer system where the friction on the WD bar to frame "L" brackets are secondary to the main sway control which is from the sockets on the hitch head assembly.

Larry

I agree. When I use the Equalizer for longer trips, I put a dab of grease on the L brackets as well as the head and ball. I can’t tell the difference other than it’s quiet.

2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4 66 miles
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73 107k miles
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Reese HP Trunnion 800

Kampfirekid

usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve had many Equalizer brand hitches over the past 25 years. Never a noise issue. Picked up a new trailer two weeks ago. On the way home I crossed the scales to find they set the hitch up perfectly. However, we pulled it home about 60 miles and it was noisier than expected. I figured it was new. Bars were losing paint on wear surfaces... good. It’ll quiet up. Then went another 60 for our inaugural run the next weekend. The hitch was groaning so loud. I had to take the hitch apart. I found they never lubed the hitch at all. I had no reason to think... I thought... to lube the hitch right away. It’s new! They’ll do it! Riiiiiiiggggghhhhht. In 120 miles, the head was destroyed. Gouges of metal pulled from the wearing surfaces. Metal pulling up like “ feathers” from the friction surfaces. If I could figure out how to attach a picture, I would. It’s nasty.

[image][/img]

* This post was edited 08/02/20 11:30pm by Kampfirekid *

2019 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew. 5–/2 foot bed. 3.0L Powerstroke,
Loaded. 2020 K-Z Connect SE 241BHKSE

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kampfirekid wrote:

I’ve had many Equalizer brand hitches over the past 25 years. Never a noise issue. Picked up a new trailer two weeks ago. On the way home I crossed the scales to find they set the hitch up perfectly. However, we pulled it home about 60 miles and it was noisier than expected. I figured it was new. Bars were losing paint on wear surfaces... good. It’ll quiet up. Then went another 60 for our inaugural run the next weekend. The hitch was groaning so loud. I had to take the hitch apart. I found they never lubed the hitch at all. I had no reason to think... I thought... to lube the hitch right away. It’s new! They’ll do it! Riiiiiiiggggghhhhht. In 120 miles, the head was destroyed. Gouges of metal pulled from the wearing surfaces. Metal pulling up like “ feathers” from the friction surfaces. If I could figure out how to attach a picture, I would. It’s nasty.

That's why I would never buy a steel on steel friction device or trust a dealer to do much of anything.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Deep metal "groaning sound" from hitch. Is this normal?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.