cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CITY WATER CONNECTION DRIP?

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
When hooked to city water the fitting on the trailer where the hose connects has a slight drip. Tightening does not cure or help. I replaced this coupling a few years ago. Is there a simple fix i can do?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
16 REPLIES 16

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The real reason I fill the on board Well the ORIGINAL reason was super chlornation of the city lines. >Took forever for the taste of bleach to go away but I recalled from my Fish Tank days if you let it sit in the supply tank (NOT under pressure) that clears quickly (like minutes).. Sure enough it worked.

Plus the city water being chlorinated keeps the system healthy.

Now... I move from park to park every two weeks. My tank lasts 3-4 weeks. So Both fresh and waste (normally) so now I only hook up at one park At the other park I always get my favorite site cause it's 50 amp, Level. Water and Electric, NO SEWER so it's perfect for me.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with keeping an adequate supply of water in the fresh tank and using the demand pump full time. This keeps water circulating through your self contained system and not letting it become stale. I let the tank run out or almost out often to make sure it remains fresh. Just requires a little attention to be sure I don't run out at 2 AM.

I keep the RV in a storage lot and having onboard water allows me to wash up occasionally.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Teflon tape has always stopped that pesky city leak here.

mfinnerty
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience, the cheap male ends of the white hoses you get at camping supply stores get flattened over time which is the cause for the leaks. Even good washers don't help. Get hoses with good brass ends (hard to find) or replace the ends with good brass fittings.
Mike & Linda Finnerty with Finn & Rosco (Golden mix brothers)

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
Teflon tape on the threads of a hose connection does absolutely nothing. The hose seal is two flat surfaces being squeezed onto the rubber washer between them. If the washer is leaking, Teflon tape won't hold the water in. In addition to the water leaking out through the threads, where your Teflon tape would be, it also leaks out the back side of the hose nut. That is open also.

huh... I guess I have been lucky for the last 56 years as almost always does teflon tape work for me,.... in fact, I just added some to my "Y" connector this past trip due to a small drip....
and obviously speaking, that is as long as the washer is in good shape as well.

Do what works for you. It certainly can't hurt anything. But, if I had to guess, I would say that when you put the Teflon tape on the threads, it lubricated the threads of the hose connection which allowed you tighten the connection down more, sealing the connection with the washer better.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You do need to replace the washer from time to time
One of the reasons I tank up and use tanked water. Re-filling as needed from City water.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
you can replace the hose washer there cheep even staples stores sell them Rubber Hose Washers at staples or any hardware store has them.
unless your hose end is all bent up or the hose inlet on the rv is bad that should cure the problem every time.

Bobbo wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
Did you replace the rubber or plastic washer? They commonly get lost.

The washer can wear out too, but still be there.

ford truck guy wrote:
all the above.. try some Teflon tape on the threads as well.

Teflon tape on the threads of a hose connection does absolutely nothing. The hose seal is two flat surfaces being squeezed onto the rubber washer between them. If the washer is leaking, Teflon tape won't hold the water in. In addition to the water leaking out through the threads, where your Teflon tape would be, it also leaks out the back side of the hose nut. That is open also.

huh... I guess I have been lucky for the last 56 years as almost always does teflon tape work for me,.... in fact, I just added some to my "Y" connector this past trip due to a small drip....
and obviously speaking, that is as long as the washer is in good shape as well.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:

The washer can wear out too, but still be there.

ford truck guy wrote:

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Check the hose end for warps or bends. I have a couple of white hoses and the threaded metal end is so thin that it is easily bent. I fix it by tapping the threaded end on a piece of wood until it's mostly round again.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
or forget the hose and use your tank and pump.

Yep.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
or forget the hose and use your tank and pump.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper