cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUCCESS removing frozen lock nuts on HappiJac turnbuckles

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
For the first time since we bought our camper several years ago and had it installed on our truck, I tried to loosen the lock nuts on the HappiJac turnbuckles. They won't budge. Any suggestions on how to break them loose?

I'd like to take the rig back to the dealer and have them break the nuts loose (because they overtightened them?). But the dealer is in Washington state and we're in Denver.

For Success story, see my 07/17/20 7:37 PM post below.
20 REPLIES 20

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ This.
But that is learned after a smashed finger or 3.
Sounds like it wasn’t really froze up, OP just need a Bfw and use it the right way.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
On applying the wrenches- when you have 2 wrenches positioned at wide angle and use 2 hands, there is high risk of crushing your fingers when the nut breaks loose.
I always position the wrenches with minimal angle, so I can squeeze the ends with palm of my hand. This way when the wrenches come together you don't have your fingers between and you can use both hands 1 over the other for bigger torque.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
magic43 wrote:
50-50 Acetone and Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)is an excellent penetrating oil. Once it starts moving, switch to 100% ATF.

I have found that works better than any rust buster on the market and I've tried just about all of them .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I luv the internet.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
BradW wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
I have often worked like that, but I grab out near the end of the wrench, put twist on then hit between hand and wrench. I use a hammer, because it is easier to control the hit when using right tool.

A hammer works if the bolt/nut is screwed on to something stationary. We talkin' about truck camper tie downs here which are not tie firmly to anything. All you have working for you is mass of everything except the hex nut which you are trying to break free. Mr Newton would suggest the wrench vs the hammer is this situation.

Sounds like a strokes/folks deal. The tool box I care in the truck I work with, and the box in the pickup, the only hammer is a 3 pound. Tool truck or garage, I have a drawer full of hammers.But the size i carry I can hit most things as hard as I need to. It is easy to hit gently with a big hammer, hit hard with a little one only wears you out.
My point is, even if I only need to tap it, a hammer is the right tool.
BTW, I have woken up jam nuts on a turn buckle by holding a heavy hammer head against 1 flat, taping the opposite side. Want to flex the nut, not bend it.

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Look up aero kroil it beats most penetrating oil. For jobs like this
Winnebago Access 24V

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I have Happijack fastguns who are about 20 years old.
They do have draining holes at the bottom of spring cylinder, but as I discovered years ago - those are easy to clog with dust.
So I drain the water from the assemble and cleaned the hole.
Mine are always with levels up and rod down.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
SUCCESS! The locknuts are loose! How was that accomplished?

Though I didn’t have any of the suggested brands of penetrating oil, I did have some Liquid Wrench. So I put some on several times and let it soak in. The 90+ degree day probably didn’t hurt.

One of my 3/4-inch wrenches was shorter than the other. So I put that one aside and selected a larger wrench with a longer handle. Then I put on some gloves.

I put the 3/4-inch wrench on the lock nut and the larger wrench on the hook end of the threaded rod. Making sure that my gloved hands were as close as possible to the end of each wrench, I pulled the wrenches toward each other as hard as I could.

Suddenly, the wrenches fell off and the nut was loose! Hurrah!

Thanks for your help, everyone. I think the penetrating oil, the gloves, and the increased leverage of the longer wrenches did the trick.

A further note: When we bought the camper, the HappiJac turnbuckles were installed upside down. HappiJac recommends they be installed with the threaded rod up so rain water does not run down into the business end of the cylinders. Also, when penetrating oil is applied, it will run down toward the locknut instead of away from it.

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
50-50 Acetone and Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)is an excellent penetrating oil. Once it starts moving, switch to 100% ATF.

Position two open end wrenches so that squeezing them is unscrewing/loosening. Start wrapping stretched surgical tubing around the two handles and things will happen rather quickly.
magic43

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
I have often worked like that, but I grab out near the end of the wrench, put twist on then hit between hand and wrench. I use a hammer, because it is easier to control the hit when using right tool.

A hammer works if the bolt/nut is screwed on to something stationary. We talkin' about truck camper tie downs here which are not tie firmly to anything. All you have working for you is mass of everything except the hex nut which you are trying to break free. Mr Newton would suggest the wrench vs the hammer is this situation.
Wake Up America

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
BradW wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
Impact wrench?

Nope, it's a jam nut on a long threaded stud with a hook on the end, hooked to the truck.

You can fashion a redneck shadetree impact wrench of sorts. It actually works pretty good.

1) First, soak them down as mentioned above for a day or so. PB Blaster is pretty good stuff.

2) Then get two 3/4" (mine are 3/4") combination wrenches. One will be used as a wrench and the other will be used as a hammer. Don't use a real hammer, use the wrench because you want speed, not weight.

3) Put one of the wrenches on the hex nut and hold it in place with you left hand (assuming you are right handed) by grasping around the wrench and nut. Leave the other end of the wrench exposed.

4) Take the other wrench and strike the exposed end of the wrench in your left hand as hard and sharply as you can. Make sure you are turning the nut in the correct direction. Right tightly, lefty loosey. Hang on to both wrenches so they don't go flying and knock your teeth out.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
Impact wrench?

Nope, it's a jam nut on a long threaded stud with a hook on the end, hooked to the truck.

You can fashion a redneck shadetree impact wrench of sorts. It actually works pretty good.

1) First, soak them down as mentioned above for a day or so. PB Blaster is pretty good stuff.

2) Then get two 3/4" (mine are 3/4") combination wrenches. One will be used as a wrench and the other will be used as a hammer. Don't use a real hammer, use the wrench because you want speed, not weight.

3) Put one of the wrenches on the hex nut and hold it in place with you left hand (assuming you are right handed) by grasping around the wrench and nut. Leave the other end of the wrench exposed.

4) Take the other wrench and strike the exposed end of the wrench in your left hand as hard and sharply as you can. Make sure you are turning the nut in the correct direction. Right tightly, lefty loosey. Hang on to both wrenches so they don't go flying and knock your teeth out.
Wake Up America

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
And when you get it un-stuck, use anti-seize on the threads. We've had the same set of quick loads for 12 years now and I do a little lube and maint at the begining of the season every year,
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
hedgehopper wrote:
For the first time since we bought our camper several years ago and had it installed on our truck, I tried to loosen the lock nuts on the HappiJac turnbuckles.

I'd like to take the rig back to the dealer and have them break the nuts loose (because they overtightened them?).

Not over tightened. Just rusted on from lack of maintenance.
Did you get them loose yet?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold