cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TrailHawk Hemi towing 27 foot TT, Blue Ox users?

lss177
Explorer
Explorer
I've been towing a 27 foot (hitch ball to trailer bumper) 4800 pound UVW travel trailer with a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk hemi with tow package... it tows pretty well, have been using the Fastway E2 WDH system, but looking for a bit more control of the dreaded "fishtail swaying", especially when semi's pass me on the left side.

The E2 WDH is a two-point sway hitch, and the Blue Ox SwayPro WDH is a 4-point system, so I'm guessing that the Blue Ox may control sway a bit better...?

Anyone have experience with towing a 27-footer and using the Blue Ox WDH setup on a JGC Hemi?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend a noisy Equalizer 4 point or Reese Straight line over the Blue Ox.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-116001.html
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
lss177, I think you're just experiencing physics buddy.

Not saying it's an inappropriate combo, actually surprised that the towing Karens haven't swarmed this thread yet, but your dog has a big of a tail as it can handle. End of story.
If you have the sway control cranked down, it aint the controller, it's just a big long sail behind a smallish tractor.

You'll spend dollars chasing dimes with this one, IMO.

Nice rig though, I love those Trailhawks! They're sweet!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried loading the trailer such that you increase the weight on the hitch by a 100 lbs (or more) to see if that helps?

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you will see any improvement for that condition, using the BlueOX. It's atually a low-friction system. In fact, it might be worse. There are lots of other reasons to use a BlueOx (it's what I use) but wind stability is not one of them.

I think the only hitch likely to improve your fishtailing is the ProPride. You simply have a lot of trailer, and not much wheelbase.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
No direct experience, but you might consider switching to LT tires if you haven't yet done so. Preferably a size or two shorter sidewall, too. Shorter, stiffer sidewalls are less susceptible to squirm when the fulcrum force of the TT acts on the back of the TV.

You have a short wheelbase vehicle, 114.7" and that works against you with such a long TT. I have towed a 23'8" Rockwood, close to 4000 lb loaded, with a 111" wb Mercury Mountaineer (2000) and it felt pretty unstable until I added the 4-point Equal-i-zer to it; then it felt very solid at all times.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point