cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone use Quick connect for water hose?

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
As the title says, I am interested in the idea of leaving a quick connect on the water hose for our travel trailer. We have a small plastic door that has a plastic connector which is again threaded to another connector in the camper. Sorry for the vague terms. I believe what is mounted from factory is 1/2" male to 3/4" female, and that 3/4" female is what the hose connects to. 1- I would like to replace that factory adaptor with a metal one (although the rest of the system is plastic anyway so not sure it matters) and 2- I'd like to leave a threaded quick connect on the camper and on the hose. Because this connection is recessed, it's often difficult to get the hose tight enough to avoid leaking and even spraying out. A quick connect would lave that portion connected and make it easy. Anyway, I see these all over Amazon. Is anyone using them for RV's? and if so any suggestions? Thanks!
19 REPLIES 19

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use these on all my hoses....They are leak free and very secure.
Banjo connector --> https://barndoorag.com/search-results/?search_query_adv=garden+hose+banjo

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I use them. However with low pressure if not aligned they may leak. I have some older ones that have tighter tolerances.
Amazon has a variety but I haven't
tried any of them except the ones that look the same as those from CW.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I added quick connect garden hose fittings to my low point drains. I can connect an outdoor sink for outside hot and cold water cleaning or an on demand water heater in lieu of the onboard water heater or a city water in through the cold water low point.

There is a small plastic 90ยฐ garden hose elbow quick connect available. It might work for you but hasn't for me on the city water inlet for closing the hatch after disconnecting. I bought them at one of my local trailer dealers. It was only the male hose thd x male garden hose quick connect fitting. Camping World has them as a set. Hose saver with quick connect.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I have QDs on everything. Just easier to hook up and then break down later. Fresh water hose, connect the ends when stored to keep critters out. I also have a water filter that is used occasionally, QDs make it easier to connect however we need at the time. But use the brass ones with o-rings. I carry a couble of spare sets, the ends occasionally get damaged and are hard to use.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
^^X2 Get the ones with the rubber o-rings. A light coating of silicone grease will keep the o-rings sealing well. Used QDs a lot when we used to take many shorter trips each year. Not so much anymore as we either boondock or stay at our winter location for 6 months.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
From my experience if you get the brass ones you want the one 's with the rubber washer. The Harbor freight one's will start leaking over time if they are just brass to brass.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
kfp673: Sorry I don't have any links. I completed. my project after numerous runs to different rv parts stores. Sorry.

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Excellent, thanks all! I'll give it a shot!

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
yes money well spent.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been using these: Amazon We picked them up at a local store tho. We do not have a door over our fittings so we just use the male end on the water fill and tank flush fittings. They have a cap dangling on a short plastic tether than fits right over the end of the male quick connect. I need to order some more so I can put then on our extra hoses. I don't know if these are any better than other brand but they work.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I use these.Quick connects
I use a 5/8 rubber chair leg protector for the male ends to prevent debris and the like from entering. rubber leg tip They come in different colors

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
kfp673 wrote:

Thanks! Do you have a link to the one you used? I like the one iamichabod shared but want to review all.

Also, I noticed they make them in reverse where the male end would attach to the camper instead. Cant seem to find dimensions listed on any though so it's touch to tell which would fit better. click
Thanks again!

If you click on the small image just below the main image on the link you posted (and most of the other sites linked) you will find one of them has the dimensions of the adapters. Looks like they are all about 1.43 inches long. I use the same ones on all our hose fittings, both at home and on the camper. My camper has the male end attached to it and the female end on the hose. The other end has the male end attached to a female adapter on the water filter and then more similar fittings to the hose bib.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
IB853347201 wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I like This one the male end fits better and is shorter than the other types. It may fit behind your door.

I use quick disconnects on everything.

X2

X3... I went through several cheap plastic and brass plated QD's over the years that used a modified hose washer for the seal. Even the least amount of dirt or mineral buildup caused them to leak. The brass QD's linked use an independent O-ring as shown that seals well and can be sourced at most hardware stores if damaged. I have a small package of spare O-rings I found in the loose hardware section at an Ace Hardware, but I haven't needed to replace one yet.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I like This one the male end fits better and is shorter than the other types. It may fit behind your door.

I use quick disconnects on everything.

X2
2010 Suncruiser