cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front mounted Generator

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I did this on a full-size truck with a flat hitch, but on the mid-size truck the hitch tray was too low so I bought a 8 inch rise/10 inch drop hitch for receiver and put the gen tray on the riser hitch. Now I have ground clearance for any steep drives or off-road camping.
It is solid, I can stand on the tray, so plenty strong for the generator.
On the other truck I ran a heavy electrical cord through the truck frame so there was always power routed, no cords on the ground, or tangles... I will add the cord to this one soon.

Side view new tray.

Front view. Gen has a water-proof cover for travel, not pictured.

just need touch up paint.
I added the "handles" bc I was able to forceably pull the gen out sideways, so the handles are making the sides taller to prevent theft, and also make great balanced handles as the tray itself is heavy.

The generator is a Ryobi 2200, and will run a 9200 A/C unit just fine. It will run the AC for 10.5-11.5 hours on a tank.

Here are the original build pics of old design. I kept the tray since the locking mechanism is pretty involved to remake.

Grandfathers old rusty metal from who knos where or when...

under side, painted

under

lock mech

padded steel strap to lock it in. Tight, snug fit. I have a custom water-proof cover for it also.
7 REPLIES 7

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
I like it!

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
No issues with rad while towing a trailer up mountains, so the air is getting in there. This is a small set-up so is nowhere near maxing out the cooling capacity anyway. Very small generator, so very small area is being covered. The air has to go somewhere and most of it flows back around the back side and into the rad.
The bumper blocks the rad anyway across the middle, so the gen is not really blocking that much more. It is far enough out to let air flow around it. The rad is set way back from the bumper inside too.
Not ideal for a really big gen on an old truck with poor air flow to begin with.
I would not have done this if cooling were an issue, but thanks

Pianatuna, the E vans have cooling challenges as it is, they are near maxed out for cooling off the showroom floor. I have friend with E series class A and when he puts anything up front he over-heats, he overheats often no matter what...

I can't really tell any mpg difference, it might even be better, but on long drives I can just put gen inside

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I did a front mount on the RV E-450. I had heating problems so moved it to the back.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent workmanship.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder about air flow to the radiator

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900