cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

flat towing a toad

fla_hobo
Explorer
Explorer
We have just purchased a motor home and are doing a lot of research on which vehicles are the easiest and best to tow flat behind.

We are wanting a suv type as its not so low to the ground & better fuel mileage.

Please wed like to learn form the experts on the road not what the salesmen say.

We have been Rvers full time for over 20 years with a 40' 5th.

2001 Holiday Rambler
Fla Hobo & Sweetpea
Mikie the Parrot
07 BIG SKY
04 BIG HORSE
24 REPLIES 24

COOLCHAS11
Explorer
Explorer
A little late with a reply, but we tow a 2019 Nissan Sentra (manual transmission) and enjoy everything about it.

rking81157
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Thor Ace 30.1 and flat tow a 2016 Equinox. I have not had any problems at all. I use Blue OX Baseplate and tow bar.

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
Because of the change in transmission, the last model year a Honda can be towed is a 2014. 2015 and any newer Honda cannot be safely towed. Over the past 20 years we have towed a 2000 Honda Accord, a 2001 Honda Odyssey and (2) 2014 Honda CRVs. I hope you find something that works as well for you. Happy travels
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
Here are Motorhome Magazine's Dinghy Guides. You can check out which cars are towable with which features. Many years available.
https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides

Before making your final decision to purchase a particular vehicle, make sure to look in the vehicle's owners manual under "recreational towing", not road service towing.

We love our Suzuki Grand Vitara. It's a relatively small SUV.

as stated, check the owner's manual for recreational towing or towing behind a motorhome. use the 3rd party references only as a starting point.
bumpy

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok I will give you some advice and my expierence
First Motor homes come in basically two flavors. Gas and Diesel
TYPICALLY (And I'm sure exceptios exist)
A gasser has a hitch rated 5,000/500 (Towed weight/tongue weight) and this is only with a LEVEL hitch (if you use a drop or rise adapter this goes DOWN!! big time. same for Diesel hitches) and the rig may not be able to tow that much (Will give that calc later this post)

Diesels typically twice that on the hitch receiver rating (10,000/1,000)

IN both cases you need to know the maximum CGVW (Combined Gross Vehicle Weight) for the RV and the Gross weight (Actual not rated) of the Motor home The most you can tow is the lesser of the hitch rating or Max CGVW - GVW In my case 4,000 pounds.

MOST jeeps are more than 4000 pounds at leat the 4wheel drive models.

Next.. Pospective toweds come in 4 or 5 flavors
1 hook up and tow.. Generally Jeep 4x4 with MANUAL transfer cases fit this. so do many Stick Shift cars. However beware the exceptions. A few Auto tranny cars fit. FMCA and others publish annual "What you can tow" guides

2: Hook up and tow but.. Special instructions (like every couple hours pull over and start engine run it through the gears (don't move just cycle the gears) and then tow for a couple more hours) That's an example.

3a: Modify and tow Add a Lubrication pump to the transmission system (my current towed has this) Tow in neutral Electric odometer does not rack up miles.

3b: Modify by addition of an axle lock or driver shaft disconnect (My first towed) the axle lock is a collar behind usually the passenger side wheel the technology is based on the old Locking hubs on Jeeps.. Works very well Unlocked the wheel turns free the other wheel turns the differential but the tranny is in park. Does not rack up miles

Drive shaft disconnect is for rear wheel. more or less same idea.

SOME cars: No can tow. Some you need to do special stuff if you trailer them
(Used to work for a towing company all flat bed trucks so know this stuff).

THe FMCA or other towing guides are good.

Alas the old Remco Towing web page seems to be history (It had a page where you could input your prospect and get advice.. their products of course)

You also need a supplemental brake system, tow bar and lights
I favor the Ready Brake with ready stop as the brake system
The Add-a-lamp light system (Comes with teh Remoco lube pump or at least did mine. though Add-a-lamp is another company's name for it)
With Ready Brake the Ready Brute tow bar might be best but I use a blue ox (long story)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fla_hobo
Explorer
Explorer
I guess i need to update our profile also.
Fla Hobo & Sweetpea
Mikie the Parrot
07 BIG SKY
04 BIG HORSE

fla_hobo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your in put.

We have drove a HHR and like it other than I felt it was to low for me.

Its looking like we maybe going with a equinox. Like the HHR but would like something a little newer than a 2011
Fla Hobo & Sweetpea
Mikie the Parrot
07 BIG SKY
04 BIG HORSE

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
If you can find a 2011 HHR, it is an ideal toad. light, easy to connect and disconnect, fun to drive. But for some stupid reason, they quit making them.

The reason they stopped making them was that sales plummeted. The 2011 model year sold less than half of what the 2010 model year sold. "Unique" vehicles usually run their course (like the PT Cruiser), and American buyers move on to something else. That being said, I fully agree that finding a 2011 or even a 2010 with decent mileage would make an excellent 4-down toad.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Remco

Remco tells you what is towable, etc.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
jorbill2or wrote:
The Chevy Equinox is a very popular suv toad. I see a lot of them . Both front wheel drive and all wheel drive Models can still be towed 4 down. Priced more reasonably.

X 2 The Equinox makes a great toad, easy to setup, easy to tow, weighs 3900lbs to 4200lbs depending on model.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Here are Motorhome Magazine's Dinghy Guides. You can check out which cars are towable with which features. Many years available.
https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides

Before making your final decision to purchase a particular vehicle, make sure to look in the vehicle's owners manual under "recreational towing", not road service towing.

We love our Suzuki Grand Vitara. It's a relatively small SUV.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
What is the motorhomeโ€™s maximum tow weight?

Absolutely the correct starting place.

Choosing a great toad that exceeds your coach's hitch OR GCWR would be the wrong choice.

So, after consulting your owners manual or coach manufacturer, let us know so we do not suggest a 5,200 pound toad if you have a 4,000 pound limit.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 13 Explorer. Very easy to tow. Just put the trans in N and your all set. No fuses to pull or anything.
A Ford Edge is just as easy!
Also
Look into a Jeep Cherokee with the proper T-case (it will have a N position). Iโ€™m sure there are others but these are what I know.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

sundancer268
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the RoadMaster or Blue Ox WEB Sites and see what vehicles they make Base Plates for and then you will know if what you want to tow is even towable. Not all versions of a vehicle are towable due to different engine/transmission/transfer case combinations installed. When I purchased my 2019 Jeep Cherokee I had to be very careful when I ordered to get a version with the Active Drive II or it was not towable. The Chevy Equinox was also on the list that I could tow without exceeding my hitch capacity. Unfortunately I could not order it the way I wanted it with out other junk I would not have in a car of mine. The Jeep also was not exactly what I wanted but the best I could do given my weight limits and the need for AWD/4WD. I really wanted a Toyota/Honda or Subaru but none of the new ones with an Automatic are towable. Good luck in your quest and I understand that Ford now has some vehicles that are towable that were not available when I ordered in January 2019.
U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One