cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stone Mountain park

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about going to Stone Mountain park , reading different reviews about the rv park . Seems some love it ,others hate it , would like some feedback from someone that has been there, which area is better

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS
10 REPLIES 10

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Stone Mountain in the winter and enjoyed it. We won 2 nights free stay in a raffle at the Tampa RV show years ago. We went in January. The park was probably 1/3 to 1/2 full. I can't remember which loop we were in. The site was in the 300s, along the lake. We did the snow activities which weren't very exciting and we hiked some of the trails. We did take the gondola up the mountain. I doubt we've ever go back, but we did enjoy our time there.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to Stone Mountain as a destination, then the park is OK at best. Stone Mountain itself as a destination is marginal at best. If you need a park for an overnight, then there are better, cheaper, and more convenient options. During COVID, I would call first as many of the so called "attractions" may be closed.

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
Overall the park is very nice and as said the sites near the office are the best. Best is only because a lot of the site are far from level, so much so that there is a giant bin of leveling blocks up near the office to help if you don't have enough with you. I have stayed there twice and enjoyed it both times, other than the aggravation of paying a park entry fee even though you are staying in the campground.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I go back to when the area was just a mountain and the way to see it was to pull over in the parking area beside the mountain and walk to the top. The State bought the area and made it a park years ago. The whole area is now urban with a 4 lane limited access highway into the park.
There was a murder of a security guard there a few years back that was never solved. It is just an extension of Atlanta. We are not proud of what our capitol city has become. I just don't go back any more unless it is a 'have to'.
So go if you want to see it, the mountain is quite a site, but if you are looking for a 'camping' experience there are much better and more genuine areas further north and south than the park
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't go anywhere close to Atl now. The mayor lets the thugs take over portions of the city and they are armed and don't allow white folks. One hot spot is where they burned the Wendys down.
mayor has told police to leave them alone and does not support police. I think she has high political hopes.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
I went in the mid 90's and really enjoyed it.
Today it's a different environment and I might want to think twice before going again.
BLM Stone Mountain
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
We enjoyed a stop there as part of one of our trips to Florida. We had a site on the lake and it was very nice. For such a large campground, it was pretty quiet, but we were there during the "off season". I could see how it may be a bit different during prime time. Hiking up the mountain, or taking the cable car is a must. I'd stop there again!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
It kinda depends on what you like in a campground. It is in an urban area, and not the best of areas. The park Is touristy, and has little rides, and gift shops, not real outdoorsy activities.
If you are coming through ATL and want to stop for a night or 2, itโ€™d be fine, but definitely would not be a destination for me.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice park. Best sites are loop close to office.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed there as an overnight on our way to Disney. Pulled in at 12:00 in the afternoon. I took a nap and my wife and kids walked around. When I got up. We walked around. It was a nice place and a great setting. I would definitely stay again.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!