cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been away for a while

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Folks, I've been away from the forum for a long time...a few years now. Life got in the way big time. It still is...but I've pretty well decided it's time to take a new direction. DH thinks the ship has sailed on RVing...towing a trailer etc. Just get a good traveling vehicle and stay in cabins or hotels. I want a truck...but we're looking at Traverse and Tahoe too.

My question is... how old is too old to RV? What special steps do you have to take? Do you stay in dedicated senior parks??

What say you?
cts
15 REPLIES 15

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
We've considered renting a Class C to see how we like it. Since I started this post...now I have popped up with medical issues! Best laid plans... anyway, having options and suggestions helps a lot. thanks! cts

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Truck is great but consider renting a Class-C for a couple nights and see if that would be easier for driving, setting up etc.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
We're 67. WLToo has Parkinson's, so I drive the Forza. He can still do most other things, occasionally with a little help from me, while I can still do pretty much all the stuff I've done. We'll keep the Forza until it's either no longer fun, or he can't maneuver around it anymore.

There are still so many places in the US and Canada we've not seen. Yet.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

Jaybird
Explorer
Explorer
We keep our RV (Class A) in Monterey,CA and drive the Jeep over. Much cheaper on gas than in the Class A.
32' Fleetwood Southwind,
Chevrolet HHR with Stowmaster
"Wrong side of the fence for the rest of the State of California"

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Kellem... we are doing our best to stay healthy!! We want to see more of our own country too. It's beautiful out there!

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
60 here and took a different approach because of China flu.

Wife and I have always enjoyed camping, actually started in a tent 37 years ago.
We also love the tropics and every year visited various islands.

Well fast forward and with every single tropical destination be canceled we went out and bought a 30ft trailer and 2500 truck....and that's the name of that tune.

We're going to travel and see more of our own country with trailer until we're to old.

We've owned 2 small trailers and would rather rent cabins than go backwards.

Stay healthy folks.

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
We are both 0ver 78 years old now and have had about everything in RV's, Boats, Travel, and properties you can imagine. Life's been fabulous to us. One major thing we have learned is not fun at all to have had the largest RV's (2-4 at any time), Boats (big power and sailboats), Travel much of the world (got very boring) and also 16 cruises done, owned many properties (both developed and undeveloped) and having 6 vehicles. It's simply foolish, so expensive, and makes you a work-a-holic keeping track of everything and keeping everything up to the standards we require. Not a question of being able to financially affording it at al as we sure could and then some. We still question why we did some of the things we did or owned.

Much smarter starting about 10 years ago as we downsized so much and it's like a huge weight off our shoulders now. Just a 29' Carriage 5th wheel we love and a very nice large Lance truck camper that's excellent, 2-3 vehicles, 2 boats under 20' long, and only travel in the USA and Canada. The 5th wheel and the Lance have plenty of room for just the 2 of us and are so easy to RV with, camp, and maintain.

About the only thing we can say is we have been there (repeatedly) and done that (repeatedly) and are still doing much of the same type things but only in North America for the last about 10 years and it's the best by far! We both have the same thoughts as to: why did we torture ourselves for so many years??? Memories are golden and forever but in reality they happen at great expense and take a toll on your health and so glad we saw the light!!!

We are not done yet but sure are taking different approaches to doing much more relaxing trips instead of got to be there on any type of schedule. Never any reservations done as we are foot loose and fancy free when traveling anywhere anytime covid virus or not being in vogue and taking proper preventions. Camping and being totally truly self-contained means you are not under any mandates or must find an RV CG with hookups. Both RV's have lots of batteries and 1500 - 2500 watts of inverters and also have a generator too. Easy to live just like at home for a week or more whenever and where ever happens.

We would NEVER return to the live of needing a huge RV or boat to use as we have learned the real facts of sensibility!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
It all depends on your abilities. Like another poster said some people are very capable at a older age and some are very frail at a much younger age. It's up to you to judge your abilities.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah - I'm torn. I REALLY don't want to get Covid (there's too much we don't know about it and any long-time consequences) - yet I'm getting mighty sick of hanging around the house. But I also can't imagine not camping for a year or so - Michigan is such a beautiful state in the fall. With the TT, I figure I can be relatively safe, and yet "go somewhere" even if it just involves sitting under my awning admiring some different scenery.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Covid has changed everything. DH and I tried to take a fantastic trip in 2015. Our first stop was a NICE hotel in Colorado Springs. DH managed to walk through a fresh cloud of germs that someone had coughed up in a hallway. I heard and saw the man coughing without covering, but couldn't get DH's attention fast enough. In less than 48 hours he had come down with the beginnings of pink eye AND a sinus infection! We limped into our second destination to find a clinic. Had to put goo in his eyes for 3 days before we could start home. So...we were in a hotel while I tended him. In the mountains we couldn't enjoy. In spite of all precautions... I got it from him.

At least now... it seems that the hotels and more people are taking infection more seriously. But... like a lot of seniors...I'm pretty leery of hotels these days.

DH is going to have double hernia surgery soon, and needs a cpap, so we aren't going anywhere till at least October. What ever we do... it has to be easy to do.

Thank you everyone for the advice and stories. It's good to know steps to take to get back on the road! CTS

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be honest - after we bought a condo in FL to enjoy for Snowbirding, we sold our 5th wheel; and bought a Transit T-250 mid-roof cargo van that I converted into a "steel tent" with a nice bed, a portapotty, fantastic fan, and small sink. We took some fun sightseeing trips, and if we encountered weather that was too hot/cold/rainy, we simply stayed in hotels. Worked great.
Enter Covid - now I'm not so keen on sharing a hotel room; or using the campground facilities that had been our "missing bathroom" for the Transit. Well, the Transit is going to get sold because this week I bought a small TT - I suspect our camping experiences will be weekends spent site-camping with our adult kids who also own RVs. I really want to be self-contained while the virus is raging....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
How old is too old? .....How's your overall health? Your eyesight? Your reaction time? Your physical ability to do things necessary to carry out the lifestyle? Your true love and comfort level of driving something really big rather than the ease and maneuverability of a regular vehicle?

I know people that are 65 and, frankly, too 'old' to even drive due to limitations. I also know people in their mid-80's that could run circles around me. Not all seniors are created equal!!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
I am 65, the wife and DH is 76 and there has certainly been a slow down. However, the last few campers that we have purchased I made sure that I would be comfortable driving our truck, towing, setting up and tearing down. Presently we own a truck camper, which I LOVE, him not so much and a 21 foot travel trailer. A few years ago we had a 32 foot 5th wheel and sure am glad that thing is gone! Get something you are comfortable with or can get comfortable with. Life is short enough.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I will be 77 next month and still traveling by myself with my cocker spaniel. I am currently pulling a 23' travel trailer and find it is a little harder to set up and break down then it used to be a few years back. A small Class B would suit me better at this point. But, I am hoping I still have 3 or 4 more years at least.

I stay in regular campgrounds, a lot Passport America or Corps of Engineer and also have Thousand Trails Zone Pass.