Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Truck stops and RVs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Truck stops and RVs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
jls

canastota, ny

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/20 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Other than Flying J, Is there any truck stop chains with amenities (dump stations, parking spaces, fuel discounts,) or general welcome to RVers?

John and Pam
2018 Thor Chateau 22E
Ford Chassis
C90T Suzuki Motorcycle
#9 TO THE FRONT

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Loves.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

CarnationSailor

Carnation,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I routinely stop for diesel at all kinds of truck stops, and have found them all to be welcoming to RVer's. I haven't found any other than Pilot/Flying J that offer discounts; however, it seems the Pilot/Flying J prices have risen so much that I can beat their discounted prices at many other truck stops.

Parking spaces are generally not an issue, but I don't know about dump stations as I have never wanted to dump at a truck stop.

I prefer truck stops because there is plenty of room to get in and out; however, be aware that the diesel pumps and area around them will most likely be an oily mess. Just something I put up with.

2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CarnationSailor wrote:

I prefer truck stops because there is plenty of room to get in and out; however, be aware that the diesel pumps and area around them will most likely be an oily mess. Just something I put up with.

I agree. The truck stops are pretty messy, but I love the convenience of getting in and out so easily. I also love the DEF at the pump.

I've always been welcomed, as long as I don't take too long at the pumps and pull up out of the way when I'm done.

I also enjoy seeing the working folks who are bringing so many of our goods to market. They've always been polite and welcoming to me, as long as I don't slow them down.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

NMDriver2

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of the TA truck stops have dump stations and my visa gives me 5% back on each dollar spent so for $2.5 fuel I get a 12 cent discount regardless of the brand. The cash discount at most truck stops will also save you a few cents.

Turret Class traveler

lhenry8113

Cypress or Lake Arrowhead, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Pilot" truck stops have dump stations, fuel, stores-some have small eatery-most have take out foods like Subway. Usually see them in western U.S.

2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE
Mustang Hollow Campground, Mathis, TX. Corpus Christi-Lake Corpus Christi

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/20 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We find Fly'n Js have the most maneuver room, and most have an RV island with both gas and diesel. No gas in the truck lanes. Pilots unless very new seem to have the least room. We like Loves most of which have plenty of room and McDonalds. We also like Speedways that have truck lanes because they usually are not busy and the pumps turn on with any credit card. Be aware that many truck lanes will not turn on the pumps without a dedicated fuel card. You'll have walk into the fuel desk to give them a credit card. However, this may have changed lately--we haven't used truck lanes other than speedway for some time.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dump stations:
https://www.rvdumps.com/

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/20 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on what you are looking for.. Campground I move to tomorrow is across from a brand new LOVES they have RV parking.. (Don't know about dump) I have been to one that did though. Same for T/A some do some do not.

I have also been to a flying J that did NOT have RV parking.. and I'm about to pay for that.

If you must park among the trucks and your RV has slideouts and is designed so you gotta slide one (or more) out try to park so the slides extend OUT of the lot over grass so the trucks can't knock 'em off.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mavericks, Chevron, Speedway, Shell from circle k - I've found dumps at various locations. Sanidumps.com or iOverlander app. We have a collection of fuel discount cards, and our credit card gives cash back on transactions as well.

PartyOf5: Us 2 & 3 pre-teens trying to connect, learn, appreciate creation & the Creator. 5 yrs, 50k

May you find Peace in all that you endeavor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Truck stops and RVs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.