cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

House Batteries

kemer
Explorer
Explorer
I want to clarify something. I have my 2014 Winnebago parked long term for the summer at my cabin. I have it plugged into shore power(50amp). I throw the disconnect for the chassis battery so as to not drain it from smoke detectors, etc. It's my understanding that when plugged into shore power, it will keep the house batteries charged. Correct? I had an issue earlier when I was going to run generator. I disconnected from shore power and the panel inside showed there was no voltage in the house batteries. Tried to start generator but wouldn't start. Didn't have power to even run lights in the coach. House battery fluids are good and batteries are only a couple years old. Suggestions?
11 REPLIES 11

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Trik-l-Start is an excellent piece of kit.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
kemer wrote:
I disconnect the chassis battery. I have a switch for both the house and chassis battery. I had an issue with the chassis battery draining. Talked to Winnebago, they said the chassis is not being charged when using shore power. I bought a trik-l-charge and need it install it. My switch for the house batteries(2) is turned on.
Good to go

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
still, you need to keep distilled water in the batteries.
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

kemer
Explorer
Explorer
I disconnect the chassis battery. I have a switch for both the house and chassis battery. I had an issue with the chassis battery draining. Talked to Winnebago, they said the chassis is not being charged when using shore power. I bought a trik-l-charge and need it install it. My switch for the house batteries(2) is turned on.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If I turn off the oem disconnect my house batteries do not charge from the converter.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
kemer wrote:
I want to clarify something. I have my 2014 Winnebago parked long term for the summer at my cabin. I have it plugged into shore power(50amp). I throw the disconnect for the chassis battery so as to not drain it from smoke detectors, etc. It's my understanding that when plugged into shore power, it will keep the house batteries charged. Correct?
Did you mean chassis battery or house battery? Most do not come with chassis battery disconnect switch.

As long as you are plugged in I recommend you keep the battery switches set to the on or in-use position. This allows the converter to maintain a float charge on the house battery.

Chassis battery may still become discharged to maintain the engine computer memory etc. Some RVs are equipped with a relay to also float charge the chassis battery but not all have this feature. Best to verify the battery voltage after a week and see if it falls below 13.0 volts indicating no float charge. You can add a small Trik-L-Start brand battery combiner to combine the float charge of the house battery to the chassis battery during storage.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Smoke detectors are house devices and on the house system
The generator is on the house system as well
When you "THrow the chassis Disconnect" are you really doing the house disconnecct?

On a 2014 I would hope they used a BIRD type Isolator (BiDirectional Relay Device) that charges all batteries from either the alternator or the converter but withot the assistance of my volt meter I can't be sure.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
You are
Plugged into shore power
Why would the smoke detectors drag down the batteries,

If I use the disconnect for my house batteries, they do NOT charge

There is always something connected to the batteries that is not on the disconnect
To be completely disconnected you must physically remove the negative ground cable from the batteries
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Not the best answer but it will depend on the way the disconnect it wired. Most likely though is if you disconnect the batteries there will be no charging of the batteries.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
when I disconnect my house battery's they are disconnected while they do not charge but they aren't discharging either. inless a bad cell drags them down. At lease that what my meter saying maybe your are different get a meter and check for your self don't take everyone else word remember ever coach is different.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
You are correct, your converter or inverter/charger SHOULD charge the house bank when on shore power or generator (basically any source of 120 VAC). This assumes that there is no disconnect switch between your house bank and converter or inverter/charger that is in the off position. Some coaches have this switch, others wire the charging device direct to the battery.

SO, start by verifying that you do have 120 VAC to your charging device (BTW, let us know what it is-- converter or inverter/charger and model if you know it). Check breakers/fuses to it.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/