cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane smell after traveling

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
We leave our propane on for frig when we travel to destination.
We noticed it smells for a while after we get there.
When we get there and use the propane it doesnt smell when we use it.
Not sure if its a leak ,anyone else have this problem
10 REPLIES 10

Flan
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure it isnโ€™t sewer gas from a dry trap
Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We had a problem with left steer axle wheel seal leaking. Of course when we were moving and afterwards. Sulfur in the lube.
We looked high and low for a propane leak.
They found it where we stored it. A small puddle of lube on the floor ofstorage building Had it towed wheels up to Freightliner and repaired new brakes and drum too.
Not saying this is your particular problem but might just check it on front and back.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm disturbed the propane leak alarm isn't going off.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a mild propane smell for quite awhile. Plus, whenever I shut the propane off for a day and then turned it back on the lines would already be empty and need bleeding. After quite a bit of sniffing around (Both figurative and actually) I discovered the regulator for the stove burners was leaking just a bit. I replaced it, the smell went away and now I can go for a week or more without needing to bleed the lines after I shut the gas off.

Use your nose as a detection device and see if you can find where the smell is coming from

John_Wayne
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a oven does it have a pilot light? and if so is it turned off.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Are you inside or outside when you smell the propane? How long are you on the road? If under two hours you might try turning off the propane bottles for a trip or two and see if you still get the smell. You might actually be getting odor from one of the waste tanks.

Just what I was thinking.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
mines on all the time never smelled pp. you have a leak, its telling you so.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
If you are smelling propane then there is definitely a leak somewhere. It could even be the valve at the bottles. soapy water should help you find the leak.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Are you inside or outside when you smell the propane? How long are you on the road? If under two hours you might try turning off the propane bottles for a trip or two and see if you still get the smell. You might actually be getting odor from one of the waste tanks.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Check the hoses and the diaphragm for leaks. You may need a new changeover assembly because they are making them so cheap now they won't last long. Try the bubble test to see if you can visually see any leaks. If you smell it, it is probably leaking. (This assumes you smell it outside the trailer after you stop).
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK