Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Reality check - 2006 Chevy 2500
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Reality check - 2006 Chevy 2500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

FlatBroke wrote:

Veebyes wrote:

Apparently 2006 was a good model year for the Silverado. 220,000 miles on my 3500 dually, most of them pulling a heavy 5er, & we are still going strong. It gets what it likes, fresh oil every 3000 miles & almost an open checkbook when it comes to preventative maintenance.

Can I have your used oil? [emoticon]

Lets be fair now and I will flip ;you for the used oil. [emoticon]

Yeah I know, I have a very pampered truck. As a 2006 I feel like one of the old guys in the CG. Where have all of the others gone?

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Fisher Bill

Tigard

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/20 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Apparently 2006 was a good model year for the Silverado. 220,000 miles on my 3500 dually, most of them pulling a heavy 5er, & we are still going strong. It gets what it likes, fresh oil every 3000 miles & almost an open checkbook when it comes to preventative maintenance.

X2, but even though the 6.6 diesel can run several hundred thousand miles the components don't have that long to live, eventually things like starters, brake boosters and other things will fail but like mentioned before, keep them maintained and they'll rum for a million miles.

Is your 2006 a gasser or Diesel?

2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisher Bill wrote:

Veebyes wrote:

X2, but even though the 6.6 diesel can run several hundred thousand miles the components don't have that long to live, eventually things like starters, brake boosters and other things will fail but like mentioned before, keep them maintained and they'll rum for a million miles.

Is your 2006 a gasser or Diesel?

The Isusu diesel. Isusu has a pretty good reputation in the marine application where an engine pretty much spends it's entire life going uphill. The water resistance never eases up. The faster you want to go, the more resistance. No such thing as cruising at a low RPM never mind a downhill grade.

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/20 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

S4cruiser wrote:

First post and diving in head first...

We are in the very early discussions with DW’s parents on a 5er. A key point is whether we use my current truck as the TV or need to upgrade (equals more money). I’ve had my 2500 for almost 12 years and it’s been rock solid. It’s the extd cab short bed 4x4 with D/A and only 120k miles.

I’ve done a considerable amount of towing with a 24’ car trailer and it handles that load just fine.

I know one of my limiting factors is the GVWR of 9200lbs and as a result are considering 5er’s on the lighter side. One model we like based on the floor plan of two separate bedrooms spaces is the Cougar 32bhs - https://www.keystonerv.com/fifth-wheels/cougar-half-ton/floorplans/32bhs-fifth-wheel/ This is something we would plan to leave at a specific campsite/location for a while vs towing it around every weekend.

I know there is no substitute for hooking it up and hitting the scales...but for those with more experience then me (everyone here)...is something like the above model / weight going to be doable and an enjoyable tow or should I be looking to nut-up and price in upgrading to a DRW truck?

First poster:

For your subject - try the Tow Vehicle forum (here) as well as the Toy Hauler Forum. There will be brand "loyalists" in/on each - "mine is best", etc. Sooooooo....go to any of the......

*Brand* specific forums for gas and/or diesel. Internet search will bring up several for whatever brand you want info on!

Usually sections for year/s, engines, and trannys, etc.

Check what *owners* are saying and check the "help" sections for folks with problems.

Roll on!

~

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Reality check - 2006 Chevy 2500
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.