Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Generator vapor locking
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Generator vapor locking

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/20 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems Doug is on to something. If its heat related I would think it would do it while you are parked as well. I would assume the compartment would still heat up when parked and there is zero air flow.
More importantly it happens if you shove or shake it manually which is not heat related. I don't think you can shove the genset it into vapor lock?
It appears from Doug's post the oil switch is a known issue.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

full-timer

Where we park it, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/20 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A new fuel pump fixed the exact problem on mine also.

An Indian and a Gypsy

Joe and Nancy
2002 34 foot Georgetown double slide Ford V-10
towing 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Down

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/20 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

full-timer wrote:

A new fuel pump fixed the exact problem on mine also.

I like the fuel pump idea next I think it's just easier to bypass/eliminate the oil switch first.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those than think fuel pump------There is a set amount of fuel in the Carb fuel bowl. The Pump does NOT supply continous fuel to the carb. There is a Float with a needle jet. The bowl continues to fill and the Needle valve shuts off excess flow. So, if the fuel pump was the issue, that would NOT cause an instantainous killing of the Genset. If the fuel pump was bad , then the Genset would kill at anytime. A "BUMP" would, if anything, cause a Pump to start running not kill it. Also, OIL problem(Switch) and viscosity will yield the Genset starting right back up when it dies. DOES THE GENSET START RIGHT BACK UP AFTER IT DIES? If so, you problem is not fuel supply or Vapor lock. I still state to replace the Oil pressure switch. That is a LOT cheaper than a fuel pump. DO NOT, install a regular automotive similar fuel pump. Those run at a higher PSI than an Onan pump. Doug

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It very well could be a fuel pump. If it were weak Pump) and electric pumps are known to work at slower speeds when they get hot) would Cause the issue I’m having. I can’t see it being an oil issue only at hotter temps. I will try the pump first. If not then I’ll do an oil switch. If it were an oil switch issue it should give a code on why it shut down. I never get a code. There is no code to be set for low fuel flow. So if it died due to low fuel it wouldn’t set a code.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

It very well could be a fuel pump. If it were weak Pump) and electric pumps are known to work at slower speeds when they get hot) would Cause the issue I’m having. I can’t see it being an oil issue only at hotter temps. I will try the pump first. If not then I’ll do an oil switch. If it were an oil switch issue it should give a code on why it shut down. I never get a code. There is no code to be set for low fuel flow. So if it died due to low fuel it wouldn’t set a code.

OIL gets THINNER as it gets hot. You have not answered my questions but you seem willing to spend money. What Weight Oil is in the Genset? Does it start right back up after it kills? Doug

PS. NOTE that none of these state kill of engine.
Seven Fuel Pump Warning Signs
Engine Sputters at High Speeds. ...
Rising Temperature. ...
Fuel Pressure Gauge. ...
Loss of Power When the Vehicle Is Under Stress. ...
Surging. ...
Decreased Gas Mileage. ...
Engine Will Not Start.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Watch this video. Doug
I am giving you 41 years working on Onan Gensets. I did NOT base my advice on this video. I found it looking up codes for the Genset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqu2U_PGgj8

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/20 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

It's your money so do what you want.

If it were my money I'd start with the oil switch as Doug suggested. Pretty cheap and easy to try, and 100% makes sense as to what is happening, as he explained.

With that said, we once owned a Ford powered MH that would die when it got hot - it was the fuel pump. The big difference is that one wouldn't immediately re-start and run well. Sometimes it would re-start and limp, sometimes it wouldn't re-start until it had cooled.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No I haven’t checked the fuel pressure. But since it is a low psi electric pump it’s max pressure will only be about 7 psi. So if it’s weak it will run slower. Not enough to die but not enough to keep the float bowl full. And yes it always starts right back up, but it needs to crank about 5-7 seconds before it starts. Like it has to fill the bowl. The oil I’m running is 20W50 IIRC. The RV is in storage right now. The 7 signs you listed are for vehicle engines, not a generator. I will watch the video. Thanks.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

It's your money so do what you want.

If it were my money I'd start with the oil switch as Doug suggested. Pretty cheap and easy to try, and 100% makes sense as to what is happening, as he explained.

With that said, we once owned a Ford powered MH that would die when it got hot - it was the fuel pump. The big difference is that one wouldn't immediately re-start and run well. Sometimes it would re-start and limp, sometimes it wouldn't re-start until it had cooled.

You guys are aware this is the Generator engine right? The generator runs In completely different parameters than the vehicle engine.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Generator vapor locking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.