Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Generator vapor locking
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Generator vapor locking

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Digisonic

Ocala

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey everyone, I'm a new RVer here in 2021. I have a 2008 Fleetwood Fiesta. I've been reading tons of people having this issue of the generator shutting down only while driving. IT could take anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours in hot Southern weather. I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. It is NOT that. It seems to be poor air ventilation. A Fleetwood Class A owner with the same Marqui Gold 5500 Onan generator on the FMA website back in 2015 had Ancira RV in Texas install an air ducting kit with an air vent on the Generator door. It seems now Ancira and even the Fleetwood dealers know nothing about this kit that was supposedly gotten from Fleetwood. I can't get though to Fleetwood. I just get stuck in their phone system recording loops. Does anyone know about this air duct kit, have a part number, know where and how to get this kit?

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I forgot all about this thread. Well I installed a new fuel pump and it was doing the same thing. We took a trip down to FL in mid October and the generator ran an entire day without issues. Yes it was in the 60’s outside. So what I did this year was install a set of stainless vents in the lower part of the generator door. This will feed cooler outside air to the generator air intake and expel the hot exhaust (not the actual exhaust!) I have upper vents ordered as well to vent the compartment. I forgot to mention that I put my little outside temp gauge in the compartment last year and the temps were near 200 deg. Seems a bit hot for an air cooled generator. So my thinking is the fuel is boiling in the carb and when it gets jarred it moves the air bubbles and the engine sucks in no fuel. I tried disconnecting the oil switch and no fix. I did try a new one and same results.

I feel confident this will fix it. The front vents are faced forward and the rear ones to the back to remove the hot air.

[image]

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Gonefshin

Morehead City NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/21 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those with the Onan 4000 generator, they make a vent to install in the compartment door especially for it. It separates the cooling air from the hot exhaust air from underneath the rv. Works great.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Generator vapor locking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.