cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Welding on a 1999 spartan chassis

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any precautions I should do before welding on my Dutch Star frame?
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS
14 REPLIES 14

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
All I could find in my manual was the Cummins engine manual says to disconnect both battery posts. No info about it in the Allison manual or anywhere else in the Spartan manual.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
I have welded on several of my RVs with a wire feed welder Not Stick, with batteries connected
And I have had welding done at a shop

Facts
Without a proper ground the welder cannot even strike an arc,
The danger is not usually welding amps traveling the wrong path
Any danger to electronics, is Magnetic field induction,EMF, welding to close to a sensor or IC that is sensitive

When welding heavy materials, like truck frames, I prefer stick. But that might be because mostly need to do it with portable.
And it is true, you can't strike an arc without a good ground, the attempt is what can cause damage. This is why I, if the job is going to require weld, change positions, weld, repeat, and chance the groudnd loose contact, I tack the ground clamp first.
The little I know about EMF, is the reason I say ground close to work.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
ON most of the frame I do not recommend welding. There is a reason for this. Sounds like you are welding on the rear end (That's one of the places where welding is acceptable)

I rather like the way SSS (Simpson and Son's Service) did the welding on my hitch.

On the workbench in the shop

Then they came out and BOLTED it to the frame rails (Existing bolt holes as the hitch was originally bolted there before it failed) Their rebulild is still rated at 5000 tow weight but easily 2000 hitch weight (The original was not that good and the Drop Hitch adapter torqued it right off the RV.. They over built when they put it back together)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I have had good luck majority of time welding on vehicle frames BUT there have been time it blew light bulbs. Do you play the lottery?

The safe way and not take the risk of damaging some electronic or electrical devise is to REMOVE the receiver and do any necessary fabrication and then replace the completed project. What is the time saved by not removing it worth?

MrWizard
I have welded on several of my RVs with a wire feed welder Not Stick, with batteries connected
And I have had welding done at a shop

Facts
Without a proper ground the welder cannot even strike an arc,
The danger is not usually welding amps traveling the wrong path
Any danger to electronics, is Magnetic field induction,EMF, welding to close to a sensor or IC that is sensitive
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Suspect we are seeing a mix of "Best Practices" as well as "What I got away with".

Choose which path you want to follow-- it is your coach/your decision.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
RLS7201 wrote:
I've stood in Tiffins' Red Bay weld shop and watched them weld on frames without them disconnecting any thing. Get your ground clamp close to the weld area and go for it.

Richard

I have laid under a truck in Gladstone Mo and welded a broken walking beam back together, and never disconnected anything. (walking beam is the part that mounts between axles, the spring mounts to it. Holds up that corner of truck) Told owner to dump load, go home and replace beam.
OTOH, a quick tack to hold a bracket on my old utility trailer burned out every lamp.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
I've stood in Tiffins' Red Bay weld shop and watched them weld on frames without them disconnecting any thing. Get your ground clamp close to the weld area and go for it.

Richard

Exactly, I doutb any manufacture disconnects anything before welding on the chassis. There is too much of a chance of forgetting to reconnect things as the build goes on.
Wildmanbaker

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Fire may be a bigger hazard than stray electrons. If you unplug things, make a list and a general location of the plugs for reconnecting. Take pictures, lots of pictures. Dielectric grease is you freind here. Remember, when you plug things back in, they may not come back like they should.
Good luck.
Wildmanbaker

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
I am purchasing a used cruiselift motorcycle lift/carrier for my Road king. I need to build a heavy hitch for it. I already have a very heavy duty 10000 lb hitch there but need to add a 2" reciever to each side of it. So welding is needed.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clamp ground close, but out of way. Use grinder to be sure clean connection. First arc, tack ground to frame. This will make sure the ground stays good, and the little amps don't go wandering around hunting a better path home.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Your chassis manual should say, but you also need to disconnect any computers, like the Allison ECU. Spartan will have the complete list.

Short answer is that PC boards do not like welding near them.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
battery disconnected, both positive and Neg. and cover so they do not touch anything. Any electrical device that is power near where you are welding. Use to have to disconnect Alt and Gen leads also many years ago. Also attach ground clamp for welder as close to welding spot. Sure someone will log in. Maybe Doug or Wolfe