Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tailgate Bike Pad - any experience?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tailgate Bike Pad - any experience?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/20 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone have any experience with tailgate bike pads? I'm considering one for our F150, but I worry a bit about damage to the back of the tailgate from the bike tires. If anyone has used one, I'd be interested to know your experience.

Home Skillet

Pearland Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/20 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have several friend that use them.
They love them and no damage at all to the vehicle.

2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/20 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I mountain bike as well, and have seen guys use them. It’s funny that u posted this because I’m starting my research on them to see what works best. Hopefully more will chime in.

A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not just mount them in the bed. I’ve seen those tailgate pads. Seems like a beginning to a problem! I mean now the bike starts out half way out of the bed!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just install a 2X6 in the front of the bed of the truck, attach a couple of skewer mounts to the 2x.

DougE

New Braunfels, Texas USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/20 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pictures, people!

2005 Leisure Sprinter Class B/2015 Honda CTX700

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

Just install a 2X6 in the front of the bed of the truck, attach a couple of skewer mounts to the 2x.
That works great for road bikes, but you do have to store the wheels somewhere. But mountain bike tires are getting bigger, and removing the wheel isn't as straight forward as on a road bike. Something that allows you to carry without the hassle of front wheel removal is a real advantage.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/20 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Geo*Boy wrote:

That works great for road bikes, but you do have to store the wheels somewhere. But mountain bike tires are getting bigger, and removing the wheel isn't as straight forward as on a road bike. Something that allows you to carry without the hassle of front wheel removal is a real advantage.

Exactly. These aren't high end bikes - these are family bikes being taken on camping trips or to local paths. Fork mount racks aren't a good option for these, and wheel mount racks inside the bed become a space (lengths) issue on a short bed truck. I don't want to spend $500+ on a rail system, so these mats look like a good alternative for the periodic use I have. I simply want to make sure they sufficiently protect the paint on the tailgate exterior.

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/20 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep I looked into building my own system our of PVC pipe. Only issue that I have is the tool box being mounted right where the homemade rack would go, hence the problem. I’ve seen several guys make their own , and others used the tailgate pad to haul up to 4 bikes. The pads are nice and your bikes don’t fall out either, despite how it looks. Yes the bike tires are getting larger for sure. I ride full suspension Giant and older model but plan to upgrade in year or so and keep this one as a back up. That bike pad system keeps all bikes upright without getting damaged supposedly. I’m still searching out ideas as well, I can pretty much build most things easily so I’m sure to come up with an option that works out if I don’t go the tailgate pad route either.

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a friend who uses one and loves it. No damage thus far that I can see. He did have a concern about the bikes coming out or moving around on rough roads, so he runs a strap through the bikes to the tie down loops in the bed. I've been behind him on some pretty rough roads and haven't seen the bikes move or shift.

If you get one and have disc brakes, make sure you turn the bars so the brake rotor faces out. He did bend a rotor because he had it on with the rotor facing in.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tailgate Bike Pad - any experience?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.