cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walt Disney/Universal since Covid re-opening

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone been to either of these two Florida parks since the re-opening?

What are the crowds like?

Is it hard to get tickets?

Are all of the rides in all the parks open, or are there many that are still closed due to social distancing?
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation
20 REPLIES 20

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Either stay home or take the kids to a nice state park. Sure, it's not 'Disney', but it's not a foolish decision either. Wait this thing out, and just use common sense. It's not like we're waiting for a storm to pass -- this is MUCH more serious, regardless of some of the information we're being fed (or not being fed).
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Well, Universal cancelled Halloween Horror Nights today. One more event gone for the Fall. Even less reason to go to the Orlando area for the parks.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tough call by Disney to open-up in the midst of Florida's outbreak.

Disney's focus is primarily kids. Got to wonder how many kids have the discipline to not touch their face during an entire day of boarding rides and entering/departing various venues? No doubt Disney disinfects as much as possible during the course of a day, but it's still a calculated risk for the kids, and their family.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, latest on the disboards, is some loops are closed, pool reached max capacity the other day, so no more allowed in. Only movies 4 nights a week, no chip and dale or campfire beforehand. Trails end closed, but they are letting people eat take out there? We will see. Next year is looking much better!
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

dedmiston
djsamuel wrote:
I do feel bad for the company and especially the workers; many of whom I know. It is a bad situation and they are doing their best; but it is tough.

It's horrible. With the parks, studios, and cruise lines all closed, many tens of thousands of people are out of work.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
A1ARealtorRick wrote:

We've probably been to WDW close to 100 times since 1971 (plus we lived in the Orlando area a number of years, which made it easier to go). Many times have we enjoyed the full Disney experience, and loved it every time.

I realize the changes that needed to be made, and I agree fully with every one of them -- however it sounds like the Disney experience just doesn't exist.

If it were me, I'd wait it out rather than be sorely disappointed.

Just my opinion.

Agree 100%. It is one thing when it takes less than half an hour to get in, but to spend the money and time to come from a distance is just not worth it right now (in my opinion). Hopefully things will return to normal by next year.

I do feel bad for the company and especially the workers; many of whom I know. It is a bad situation and they are doing their best; but it is tough.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the feedback so far. General consensus seems to be to wait till things play out a little. Kinda what I was thinking, plus beating the heat isn't an option in Orlando during the summer.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
djsamuel wrote:
We live nearby and we've been over to Disney Springs and the hotels. My wife retired from Disney but we haven't had the chance to get into the parks but know people who have. From what we've seen, Disney has done a really good job at making it as safe as possible. To get into the parks, Disney Springs, or even ride the monorail, you have to get your temperature taken. There are also barriers in the monorail and you get a section to yourself. At restaurants, there are no menus, just a QR code you scan with your phone and the menu pops up. If you don't have a phone to do that, they have throw away paper menus. Tables are separated a lot, and the use of masks is strictly enforced. People were using drinking something as an excuse for walking around without a mask. They would get a Starbucks, and just walk around holding it. Disney changed the rules to require anybody eating or drinking to do so while stationary and stopped in a designated socially distanced location. They are increasing enforcement as well.

There are no character meet and greets and character meals are not the same or are not open. Those restaurants still offering character meals only have the characters walking through, not stopping for pictures.

Buffets are either closed or have converted to family style serving. Trails End at Fort Wilderness is still closed with no timeline for reopening at the moment.

Also, remember that to get into a park you have to make an advanced reservation just to get in. In addition, there is no park hopping allowed; only one park per day.

Personally, if I was coming a distance and about to drop a lot of money, I think I'd wait a year for all of this to hopefully return to normal.

We've probably been to WDW close to 100 times since 1971 (plus we lived in the Orlando area a number of years, which made it easier to go). Many times have we enjoyed the full Disney experience, and loved it every time.

I realize the changes that needed to be made, and I agree fully with every one of them -- however it sounds like the Disney experience just doesn't exist.

If it were me, I'd wait it out rather than be sorely disappointed.

Just my opinion.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
We have two weeks reserved in February and we are in a wait and see mode.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
We live nearby and we've been over to Disney Springs and the hotels. My wife retired from Disney but we haven't had the chance to get into the parks but know people who have. From what we've seen, Disney has done a really good job at making it as safe as possible. To get into the parks, Disney Springs, or even ride the monorail, you have to get your temperature taken. There are also barriers in the monorail and you get a section to yourself. At restaurants, there are no menus, just a QR code you scan with your phone and the menu pops up. If you don't have a phone to do that, they have throw away paper menus. Tables are separated a lot, and the use of masks is strictly enforced. People were using drinking something as an excuse for walking around without a mask. They would get a Starbucks, and just walk around holding it. Disney changed the rules to require anybody eating or drinking to do so while stationary and stopped in a designated socially distanced location. They are increasing enforcement as well.

There are no character meet and greets and character meals are not the same or are not open. Those restaurants still offering character meals only have the characters walking through, not stopping for pictures.

Buffets are either closed or have converted to family style serving. Trails End at Fort Wilderness is still closed with no timeline for reopening at the moment.

Also, remember that to get into a park you have to make an advanced reservation just to get in. In addition, there is no park hopping allowed; only one park per day.

Personally, if I was coming a distance and about to drop a lot of money, I think I'd wait a year for all of this to hopefully return to normal.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Im glad i cancled my october trip this year. I might give it a go next year.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
We have reservations late Sept/early Oct. We are watching closely how things are progressing. Relatives and friends both tell us that the news is alarming but they have not been affected or know anyone that has been in their areas of Florida(panhandle and Orlando areas). Luckily with the way reservations are handled by Disney, we have until 5 days before we are to arrive to cancel without a charge.It might be enjoyable to visit the parks with such low crowds and waits.
Disney is the big player but Universal opened first and there have been no stories that it has had any problems. Universal has even kept their Halloween celebration(Horror Nights) on track where Disney cancelled theirs(Not So Scary Mickey Halloween).
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't been myself - but I'm active on a few different Disney boards. What's been reported above has generally been true (with the exception of Hollywood Studios, which has seen more crowding issues during its reopening). They are restricting park capacity to 25%, which means you have to have a park reservation prior to entry - availability of those is mixed at this point. You can only enter one park per day, health checks are done upon entry, and masks are required except when in a relaxation station or when eating/drinking. Even with eating and drinking, you have to be stationary to do so - you can't be walking around eating without a mask on. Many other precautions have been taken with distancing, plexiglass dividers, etc. No parades, but they are doing random 'cavalcades' with characters traveling through the streets.

Florida is a rough place to be right now, but Disney seems to be among the safer places you could be in that state.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
So far reports are small crowds and 15 min max wait times for rides. And masks for all, but they do have spots to take them off and relax a bit. I would think no characters meet's and no parades, but cant confirme that.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.