Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Water hose threads...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Water hose threads...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
K3WE

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/20 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Objective here is humor.

I’ve read a lot of threads here- lots of blow-hards...You MUST use white RV hose- green ones are ‘poisonous’.

But as a kid, I drank from them.

Anyway- camping right now, with fancy new white hoses, and the water is ‘big time hose flavored” (eye roll).

Maybe we should use the right ones, but then again, maybe it’s mostly bologna.

Anyway, we’re filling a water jug for drinking directly from the faucet, just because it tastes better.

LOL

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/20 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When is the last time you sanitized the potable water system in the RV?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 03:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Strange you asked, I sanitize the RV system every spring after de-winterizing. Believe it our not I also let bleach run the length of the fresh water (white) hose.

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/20 04:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put a new inline filter on it and make sure its a driking water safe one.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K3WE wrote:

Objective here is humor.

I’ve read a lot of threads here- lots of blow-hards...You MUST use white RV hose- green ones are ‘poisonous’.

But as a kid, I drank from them.

There is a problem with many stories like this in that they forget to include "other factors"
As a "kid" I too drank from a standard garden hose. and since I worked the loft during bailing season with temps and humidity both pushing 100 throwing 80 pound bales of hay around I drank LOTS of water from the garden hose.

BUT we ran the hose till the water was cool.. thus it was fresh water.

On the RV the hose sits there full of water. If the hose is not "Potable water quality" chemicals from the host have hours to leach into the water instead of a second or two.

That is the error in the above story and why it is important to use a potable water hose. Color is not iportant (Unless you use color coded garden hoses) For example in my Rig are several hoses of different colors White-Silver.. OK
Black.. Well I use it with the macerator pump
Gray Gray tank #2 (Wash)

Get the picture.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first thought for this topic was the type of threads on a water hose. Here is more than you ever wanted to know about garden hose threads:
===================

The thread standard for garden hose connectors is known as "garden hose thread" (GHT), but its official designation is NH (NH stands for "National Hose" 3/4-11.5NH is for full form threads as produced by cutting material such as the brass spigot outlet or hose male or female end fitting found on more expensive hoses 3/4-11.5NHR is for thin-walled couplers produced by rolling thin material, usually brass, typically found on less expensive hoses 3/4-14NPSH is for female hose ends that mate a hose to a tapered pipe thread without a spigot). The standard was defined by NFPA 1963, "Standard for Fire Hose Connections", then later by ANSI-ASME B1.20.7, which is 1 1/16 inches (27 mm) diameter straight (non-tapered) thread with a pitch of 11.5 threads per inch (TPI). The female thread is abbreviated FHT (for "female hose thread"), and the male part is abbreviated MHT (for "male hose thread"). This fitting is used with 1/2-inch, 5/8-inch, and 3/4-inch hoses.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw the title, was going to tell you to count and measure your hose bib.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same as others....I was going to launch into "NHT" v. "NPT" v. "sweat" v. "copper" discussion, with a ancillary discussion of "hose barb" and "schedule sizing" thrown in for no extra charge. [emoticon]

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hate those cheap plastic replacement ends that you put on garden hoses. I usually end up Cross Threading them after a few uses.

I have learned to purcahse good hoses with good steel threads on the end and then take good care of them so they last for a long time.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been there done that, including bringing home a bear cub for a pet, and bobcat, and at age 4 or so picked up a rattlesnake but...i won't drink from an old water hose again, unless I have to. I got sick from drinking from a rubber water hose one time. Won't do any of them again,,probably.
Take that white hose and connect it from the faucet to your filter or rv without a filter and let the sun work on it for a few days while rving.
Then look inside the hose is it brown or green or both and is there any black?
if the water source has chlorine t can still have the brown stuff but less likely.
In line filters, if you have a lot of sediment or sulfur and iron etc after a day or two every time you open the tap, the filter loaded, it bypasses the media and you get a lug of mud like in Michigan with wells and lots or RVers on a weekend or in south Ga and La and elsewhere that delightful taste of sulfur and iron. Good filters are as large as you can get. get all the nasties and minerals and stop up firt because they do the job...but it is cheaper to buy the inline little or now a bit larger filters. You won't one that tell you to change it or one that won't let wter though...when it is clogged up with all the garbage you want to not drink or wash in and needs replacing,...not one with a spring that lets the water and junk bypass, into your glass, when the media is clogged.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Water hose threads...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.