cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lost continuity between battery and starter solenoid

kindasorta
Explorer
Explorer
Need help... I have a 2019 Gulf Stream 6237LE - The onan generator will not start .. Power cable (hot) has lost continuity between the battery and the starter solenoid. Battery is new (even thought the unit only has 30 hours operation) Verified the loss by using a jumper cable between the two original cable ends (battery post and solenoid). Any ideas?

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
What type of TEST EQUIPMENT are you diagnosing with?

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
Given the age, I don't think the wire breaking somewhere is likely. I agree with removing and cleaning each connection. I'll be surprised if this doesn't solve the problem.

kindasorta
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Really now, how hard can this be to find the problem ?? Copper eating varmitt ? Leave the jumper connected, its fixed !!!
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
My generator sometimes has a dirty connection where the battery cable lug connects at the generator starter solenoid. Literally just took a tap on the lug to move it enough that it had connection again.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Was at a mall (Strip type) the other day (well months ago) and some folks where working on a Pick up no start.. Grabbed the volt meter and started poking around One end of the main battery cable had 12 volts the other end zero. bad cable or bad lug don't know which . Split before they fixed it.

My suggestion is a test light over a voltmeter (Easier to read) start at the battery or at the generator and work toward the other end. Problem exists between dark and light.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
If it worked using a jumper cable it has to be a bad connection somewhere. When this happened to me, it was a bad connection at a self resetting circuit breaker.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

kindasorta
Explorer
Explorer
The last trip - 3 days ago it worked. It has been sitting for 3 days, went out to start it today and it wouldn't start. Started trying to trace the issue .. nothing helped so replaced the battery just in case it was the battery. Not the battery and it is hooked back up correctly

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
IF the Genset worked BEFORE you replaced the battery. You have either missed installing a cable to the battery or you have misconnected the cables at the battery. Doug