cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mechanical Mystery...

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Chevy Silverado EC 1500 5.3L LT3 over 350kmiles. Passenger heated seat started getting wonky about a year ago. Local dealer thought it was the seating elements going out...so we replaced them a month ago. Still acting wonky...but hard to track down the problem.

Wonk Factor: Heat will work fine for an hour...and then quit. Hit the button to restart and maybe it works for another 15 minutes. Hit it again and the light flashes and goes right back off. This will happen several times untill I get tired of pushing buttons.

Took it back to the dealer and they "can't reproduce the issue". It worked fine all day yesterday. Today...back to full wonk mode. But. Learned something new. IF no one is sitting in the seat...it will work perfectly and stay on. It appears to only malfunction if someone is sitting in the seat. :h

Dealer wonders if it's a grounding issue...maybe it thinks it's shorting out and quits..but maybe it's grounding out instead.

To be fair...this truck has been known to exhibit some passive aggressive tendencies at times. I'm "Driver 1" and it will forget my settings. It never forgets DH's "Driver 2" settings...and has been known to toss some of D2 info onto D1. His country stations kick my classical to the curb.

It's a puzzle. Anyone ever see this before? The seats..DH is probably messing with my settings!;)

CTS
30 REPLIES 30

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
BTW, there can be 10-50 even 70 modulates in a car depending on what kind of car it is and trim level!
This is part of the revolution that Tesla is changing in the automotive world. All these control modules are consolidated into the main computer where programming can be better integrated and even upgraded as needed with no dealer visit.

Who the f cares?
Donโ€™t you guys ever get tired of jerking off Elon Musk?
This thread is about someone on a budget with their old pickup truck....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
BTW, there can be 10-50 even 70 modulates in a car depending on what kind of car it is and trim level!
This is part of the revolution that Tesla is changing in the automotive world. All these control modules are consolidated into the main computer where programming can be better integrated and even upgraded as needed with no dealer visit.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ How far back? Lol
Well 90s will have less electronics than 2000s and 80s less than that, and so on.
You are 1000% missing the point. Stuff wears out.
Going back in time will just give you a different set of headaches and good luck with power seas and seat heaters in a pickup, lol.
I have an 86 Chevy 3/4 ton. Last year before there were any computers, to speak of.
It has power windows (new), cruise/int wipers (new mf stalk), AC (rebuilt) and everything works, but everything requires work on it. Itโ€™s OLD.

Iโ€™d say this is amusing, but can tell that youโ€™re concerned about these things and for that I am empathetic. But newer vehicle, lower miles = better. That is what you need to know.

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
How far back do you have to go to get away from so much computer stuff? I'd still like power seats. Had an Equinox loaner with manual seats....need to see the chiropractor now LOL!

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Well...this truck isn't exactly a spring chicken. 2004 with 350k plus miles. The new control head on the ac is apparently working. The mechanic is hoping it's the last one...but..he's getting quite an education.

We will get a newer vehicle...but oh boy so many more bells and whistles to go wrong.

Ben... I see you have vehicles going back to 1980! Wowza! cts

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
When these highly integrated computer controlled systems work, they are wonderful...until any 'one' thing becomes marginal

Then the whole system can flake out and most mechanics just change out components and sub-systems...until the cost is so high as Kevin states and/or they create even more problems so they go in circles trying to find whatever it is

Sometimes it is best if the offending component or sub-system completely fails and they fix it before that takes down other components or sub-systems

One reason I'm not in a hurry to get another newer TV
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
CTS, youโ€™re chasing dimes and tripping over dollars. Step back and re assess unless you just like bowing money.
BTW, control head isnโ€™t an actual part. Although it could be the control module for the hvac
It pains me to see this, as you seem like nice people who donโ€™t know much about cars. Youโ€™re digging aN expensive hole with this truck.
Itโ€™s done, move on.
If all this stuff didnโ€™t fail, old cars with a gazillion miles would be worth more. This is why theyโ€™re not.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
This is what makes some newer car get totaled. They becom to expensive to repair. Trying to diagnose it alone would make them not worth repairing. I've seen perfectly good running cars sent to the junk yard because there was an issue that cost more to fix than the car was worth.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Mystery deepens... Check engine light came on. And the seat warmer worked for a full day. Dealer cleared the code and the seat quit working. Code was for an O2 sensor. Then the AC which had been frosty cold suddenly quite working. Blower worked...but no cool air. Not hot..just not cool. Back to the dealer. A "control head" was determined to be the problem. But. The new CH only got the drivers side to work untill it was "reprogrammed".

Control Heads...Control Modules...out of curiosity, how many of these things are lurking in a 2004 truck? Could it be that all of these "controllers" are failing? cts

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
covetsthesun wrote:
It's 68 degrees this morning here... and a seat warmer feels good on old bones. I've used the heated seats nearly year round...except on 90 degree days. The truck battery was replaced around 18 months ago. The passenger seat elements had been playing games for a year before being replaced a month ago. The new ones are doing the same thing, so it shouldn't be the problem. I'm going to have mech check pull the switch and look for corrosion. The dealer is concerned with a ground wire problem.
Any other ideas I can give them? cts

Man 68 sounds nice. We werenโ€™t able to evacuate this year. Our mornings are 78-&2. Enjoy!!!!

Oh I do enjoy the cooler mornings! It's 85 right now and the humidity is darn near 100%! You'd be right at home!:B

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
covetsthesun wrote:
It's 68 degrees this morning here... and a seat warmer feels good on old bones. I've used the heated seats nearly year round...except on 90 degree days. The truck battery was replaced around 18 months ago. The passenger seat elements had been playing games for a year before being replaced a month ago. The new ones are doing the same thing, so it shouldn't be the problem. I'm going to have mech check pull the switch and look for corrosion. The dealer is concerned with a ground wire problem.
Any other ideas I can give them? cts

Man 68 sounds nice. We werenโ€™t able to evacuate this year. Our mornings are 78-&2. Enjoy!!!!

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone...I gave our mechanic all the ideas. Next time the truck's at the dealership he's going to spend quality time tracing things. It's become a mission with a few of the mechanics.

It has over 350k well maintained miles....and we are getting a newer truck or suburban. But, the old girl still has grit and will help keep the miles down on the newer vehicle.

This Chevy dealership has treated us very well over the years. GM would be proud of them. Anyone know what the mileage record is for a truck?? cts

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
This is a chronic problem on early 2000's GM products. You need to go to a GM/Chevy forum and do some searching.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
If you were close to Tx Id sugest to see Scotty Kilmer or just hit his site on YT and ask.

Even simpler solution is to put your pants on when driving ! :B

Ive been in minus 30 winters and never needed seat heater,simply wear thermal underwear.