cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toad damage from road debris.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Next time some one asks about some kind of toad protection from dirt and debris kicking up. Don’t say I’ve been doing it for X amount of years with no damage. Just got back from our Rocky Mountain trip. All highways or primary roads, no gravel roads. My windshield has so many small rock chips (very small) that weren’t there before the trip!

Next time I’ll just follow my own judgement and get some kind of flap at the rear of the MH or something between the MhHand toad!

Anyone that is reading this and new to towing, get some kind of toad protection!!!! And yes I have the mud flaps behind the rear wheels that everyone says is all you need!!

Ughhhh!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
13 REPLIES 13

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We started using a Protect-A-Tow between our coach and toad in 2008 after paying almost $1,000 for toad body and paint work after traveling on about 20 miles of gravel roads with a "grass skirt". We particularly like the ease of hooking it up and that it also protects the tow bar, safety cables, and wiring.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
IB853347201 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Next time some one asks about some kind of toad protection from dirt and debris kicking up. Don’t say I’ve been doing it for X amount of years with no damage. Just got back from our Rocky Mountain trip. All highways or primary roads, no gravel roads. My windshield has so many small rock chips (very small) that weren’t there before the trip!
Next time I’ll just follow my own judgement and get some kind of flap at the rear of the MH or something between the Mh and toad!

Sorry to hear of your toad damage on your recent trip. I assume based on your profile that you have been traveling by MH for at least 8 years? Is this the first time you took a toad? Or is this the first time you had damage?
I hate to be the one to say it but...Here goes...we've been traveling by MH with a toad, all across Canada and the US, North and South, primary and secondary Highways, for over 20 years. No shield or flap across the rear of our MH's and no rock chips or damage yet.

First long trip with the MH. Before this the longest was 3 hours. What’s worse is I just had the hail damage repaired on the car. So the car was perfect! I ran it though a car wash and that is where I seen the small chips in the windshield. I haven’t washed it by hand yet. I vertically hope there is no damage to the hood and fenders. But I’m not holding my breath.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Y-Guy
Jeep Wrangler windshields are notorious for getting sand blasted even without being towed. I spoke with one guy that used a winter snow shield on his Jeep to protect it, had to cut it modify it but said it worked well.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at the windshield with the sun from an angle sometimes. We have had three different tows over the years and the all had tiny little chips where sand and debris had struck them. The Wrangler seems to be the worst, but it has been towed the greatest distance - that and the windshield is the most vertical. I think that is just part of the experience of RVing with a tow.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
dodge guy wrote:
Next time I’ll just follow my own judgement and get some kind of flap at the rear of the MH or something between the Mh and toad!

Sorry to hear of your toad damage on your recent trip. I assume based on your profile that you have been traveling by MH for at least 8 years? Is this the first time you took a toad? Or is this the first time you had damage?
I hate to be the one to say it but...Here goes...we've been traveling by MH with a toad, all across Canada and the US, North and South, primary and secondary Highways, for over 20 years. No shield or flap across the rear of our MH's and no rock chips or damage yet.
2010 Suncruiser

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
been towing 4 down for 20 years with multiple toads and no protection.... never had any damage.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
Never was a question for me, used a Protect A Tow from day one.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
A shopping cart hit our toad 2 years ago. Stuff happens but we still tow four down.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
One popular couple put a board on the front of their toad for their trip to Alaska. Don't know how they attached it, however.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
A!A that nay be true. I have never flat towed in my life behind the motor home. I either use a dolly, most of the time, or an open or enclosed trailer. Don't remember any damage. Getting ready to roll out next week up to TN and DW wants to take the new Honda SUV so thats what will be on the dolly.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
We had the full-width flap on the back of our most recent motorhome (Winnebago Journey) and NEVER had even a chip on our toad(s). I attribute it to the fact that we used a dolly and didn't flat tow. Depending on the trip, we had 3 vehicles that could and did become the toad. Apparently with the front end farther off the ground, any debris went underneath, and not into, the toad.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
From reading on here seems people take off the big flap in the back. It’s been said it kicks the rocks up. I still have mine on and have no intention of taking it off.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
We have the brush type guard at the rear of the coach, plus smaller mud guards behind each rear wheel. Yes we do have some small marks on the toad, but the brush type guard seems to deflect most, so damage is limited.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.