Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Toad damage from road debris.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Toad damage from road debris.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at the windshield with the sun from an angle sometimes. We have had three different tows over the years and the all had tiny little chips where sand and debris had struck them. The Wrangler seems to be the worst, but it has been towed the greatest distance - that and the windshield is the most vertical. I think that is just part of the experience of RVing with a tow.

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeep Wrangler windshields are notorious for getting sand blasted even without being towed. I spoke with one guy that used a winter snow shield on his Jeep to protect it, had to cut it modify it but said it worked well.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IB853347201 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

Next time some one asks about some kind of toad protection from dirt and debris kicking up. Don’t say I’ve been doing it for X amount of years with no damage. Just got back from our Rocky Mountain trip. All highways or primary roads, no gravel roads. My windshield has so many small rock chips (very small) that weren’t there before the trip!
Next time I’ll just follow my own judgement and get some kind of flap at the rear of the MH or something between the Mh and toad!

Sorry to hear of your toad damage on your recent trip. I assume based on your profile that you have been traveling by MH for at least 8 years? Is this the first time you took a toad? Or is this the first time you had damage?
I hate to be the one to say it but...Here goes...we've been traveling by MH with a toad, all across Canada and the US, North and South, primary and secondary Highways, for over 20 years. No shield or flap across the rear of our MH's and no rock chips or damage yet.

First long trip with the MH. Before this the longest was 3 hours. What’s worse is I just had the hail damage repaired on the car. So the car was perfect! I ran it though a car wash and that is where I seen the small chips in the windshield. I haven’t washed it by hand yet. I vertically hope there is no damage to the hood and fenders. But I’m not holding my breath.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started using a Protect-A-Tow between our coach and toad in 2008 after paying almost $1,000 for toad body and paint work after traveling on about 20 miles of gravel roads with a "grass skirt". We particularly like the ease of hooking it up and that it also protects the tow bar, safety cables, and wiring.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Toad damage from road debris.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.