Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: First time tower - multiple questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> First time tower - multiple questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a good plan.
I use Milenco Aero mirrors.
When setting up the WDH, follow the instructions in your Durango manual.
My brake controller is above my right knee. Works for me.
Make sure trailer tires are at max inflation.
If you have P metric tires on the Durango, max inflate them, also.
Enjoy.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One item...does the 610lb include anything else in the truck?

Throw a cooler, firewood, bikes for the kids, etc... in the truck, that comes off the payload also. That could easily drag your payload down to a 500lb hitch weight and now you are looking at around a 4500lb trailer (4500lb loaded).

If you can stay at 720, you are probably good for around a 6500lb GVWR trailer (not UVW)

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Raife

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After my calculations, my plan was to put everything I can in the trailer. Exceptions would be a small cooler for snacks/drinks and small backpacks for the kids (tablets, kindles, some books, small toys).

My Durango manual just says I need a WDH for anything more than 5,000lbs - but nothing about hooking it up.

I will look at some of those mirror suggestions.

Good advice on the electronic brake...

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The limiting factor of your vehicle is rear suspension, by a good margin. Unless the Citadel has air leveling. Find the limits of that, it’s the real limitation.
Drivetrain, equal to a Ram 1500 and almost a 2500 gasser. Zero power concerns.
Wheelbase is decent for the size trailers you’re looking to rent.
Add ons, I wouldnt go overboard. Any brake controller will work fine. More expensive means more convenient. Cheap ones stop the trailer fine. I have a couple I’d give you one if you were closer.
Mirror extensions. Personally I wouldn’t buy any but they will be helpful.
WDH will come with camper you rent? Idk but can’t imagine buying one for a couple trips. If so get a cheap one.

I’d figure out how much the rear suspension can carry and see if it’s going to be too soft.
Do you have friends with trailers to hook up for reference or load up the back of the suv and see how she handles some weight?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raife wrote:

My Durango manual just says I need a WDH for anything more than 5,000lbs - but nothing about hooking it up.

WD Hitches are different from one to the next, so the manual wouldn't cover it much. Each style is set up differently, and each set-up is different depending on the pairing of trailer and truck. I've adjusted my WDH 4 times since getting a new truck, and still don't think it's quite dialed in.

I have never rented, so I can't speak to this, but I do think this is a major question in the rental equation. Do they provide you with a hitch? Do they set it up and adjust it for you? WD hitches are extremely expensive - so buying one for a couple of rentals might be cost prohibitive. That said, if you are towing any type of box trailer, you will need it (not only foe the distribution, but for the sway control).

If this becomes a hurdle, you might be better off trying to rent a large pop-up. Any one of those would fit well within the capacities of your truck and would likely not call for weight distribution or sway control.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just to give an example of setting up my old Equal-i-zer WD hitch with built-in sway control, one had to park on the level, unhook, measure the height of the trailer tongue when TT is level, measure height of receiver, assemble hitch to proper height, set tilt of hitch with washers to get the right amount of downward pressure on the bars per the measurements, attach L brackets, and so on. It wasn't difficult but it took over an hour when doing it the first time.

However, a simple WD hitch without sway control is simpler and quicker to set up. Attach brackets to trailer frame, tighten the chains and see if the rig is level. If not, adjust the number of chain links. It can be paired with a sway bar, which helps some but isn't as good as built-in sway control.

Without knowing what the rental comes with, just be aware enough to note what kind he's providing and how he's setting it up. If it's the kind with sway control built in but he's not measuring or taking your receiver height into account, the setup could easily be putting the wrong amount of downward pressure on the bars and thus be ineffective for anti-sway (or else raising your truck's rear end too much).

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Raife

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I clarified with the owner that the WDH has sway bars. I will observe how he does/doesn't adjust the WDH.

Thank you.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 04:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

has intergrated anti sway or friction sway bars? either way not hard to set up but takes a bit of time and some wrenching to do properly especially since your durango will likely sit lower than most tow vehicles so he will likely need to adjust the shank setup not just the spring tension

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My advice is to take all this advice with a large amount of skepticism. Here is an example of faulty advice, "tighten the chains and see if the rig is level. If not, adjust the number of chain links." Links are used to adjust the amount of weight distribution, not to level the trailer.

Not picking on anyone in particular, but we are not going to be chasing that thing down the road or replacing a transmission if you forgot to install a transmission cooler that is usually included in "Tow Packages". Keep asking questions and keep questioning Internet answers.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve used the 3M dual lock fasteners that came with my brake controller for years. It works great and took years before the adhesive failed and seconds to replace it when it did.

It’s 2 strips of something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Reclosable-F........words=3m+dual+lock&qid=1595522096&sr=8-5

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> First time tower - multiple questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.