cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needles Hwy, Height Restriction.

VanDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
Tunnel width and height restrictions on Needles Highway, Black Hills South Dakota. I have read most of the posts here and on other web pages about width restrictions, but none really address the height restrictions completely.

There are a few web posts out there that say that they have made it through the Needles Tunnels with a Class C and claim the lowest tunnel height of 11' 3".

I have rode through the Black Hills on my Harley many many many times, but never in an RV. Those familiar with the Black Hills they give you a paper map as you enter them. This Map lists the lowest tunnel height as 9'8".

My Class B with all the stuff on top is 9'10".

I've seen the videos of the tour buses going through and called the companies and asked the height of their buses, but they haven't measured them and didn't know.

Can anyone confirm that they have made it through ALL of the Needles Highway Tunnels with an RV that is 9'10" or higher?
17 REPLIES 17

dedmiston
That's good to hear. I'm glad it all worked out OK.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

VanDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE to earlier post: I finished the trip through the Black Hills, including both the Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road. My Class B Airstream Interstate Lounge (Mercedes Sprinter Base) has a height of 9'10" with all the stuff on top (AC, Winegard...)

I easily cleared the height of all tunnels with no problems.

I had no issues with width as sprinters are narrow and easily fit through all the tunnels.

I hope this helps future travelers.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We worked in CSP a couple of summers. Watching that bus come through the tunnel is pretty cool, but the bus in the video is the most un-damaged I have ever seen. That driver knows his stuff! The buses from the 07 and 09 were scrapped and gouged from the rocks.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

dedmiston
Ed_Gee wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Here is a portion of information from one website. Same site has photos showing how the walls taper in toward the top. Needles Highway

Walls do not 'taper' in these tunnels on this road. Here is a view of bus entering from other end. Figure it out for yourselves.:

Best view of Needles highway tunnel situation

This seemed pretty confrontational to me too.

Since you invited us to "figure it out for ourselves", I see a road with no stripes and walls that taper in. Whether they taper or not, they look like they do in the video.

I'm glad you posted a link to that video though. The video speaks for itself and obviates any need for arguing over fog lines or tapering.

Here's a link to the video again. I think it should address any questions anyone might have and it also seems to me to be an argument-ender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN5VpqMnPUk

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
Wadcutter wrote:
enblethen wrote:
If you are not aware, fog line is the edge of the normal lane of travel. It is not always a strip on the road!

I am very aware what a fog line is. More so than you obviously are aware. In my career I measured a lot of roadways and diagrammed a lot of crashes where fog lines are included.
Just to clarify since it seems you aren't totally aware what a fog line is it's not the center stripe on the road. Not always, not ever.
So have you been thru the tunnels on the Needles Highway? Where did you see these fog lines? Same place you seen the angled tunnels?

Why so confrontational? He never said the stripe went down the center of the road (although he did misspell "stripe").

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
If you are not aware, fog line is the edge of the normal lane of travel. It is not always a strip on the road!

I am very aware what a fog line is. More so than you obviously are aware. In my career I measured a lot of roadways and diagrammed a lot of crashes where fog lines are included.
Just to clarify since it seems you aren't totally aware what a fog line is it's not the center stripe on the road. Not always, not ever.
So have you been thru the tunnels on the Needles Highway? Where did you see these fog lines? Same place you seen the angled tunnels?
Camped in every state

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
The tunnels are curved on the top. Height at fog line which is the low point,
For some of the rigs I would also concerned about width.

Fog Line? What fog line? Have you been there? There are no fog lines at the tunnels on Needles.
Most of the tunnels are squared at the top. Granted, a few have some varying heights due to the formation of the rocks but what was cut thru by man is squared.
Camped in every state

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Here is a portion of information from one website. Same site has photos showing how the walls taper in toward the top. Needles Highway

Walls do not 'taper' in these tunnels on this road. Here is a view of bus entering from other end. Figure it out for yourselves.:

Best view of Needles highway tunnel situation
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

dedmiston
Here's a thread from last month with more info for you.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We were just on it in June and I didn't pay too close attention to the height, sorry. I did note that while online it says max width is 8'4", the signs there said 8', and there are plenty of warning signs before you get right in front of the tunnel, so you can turn around if needed. I don't recall feeling like the tunnel was excessively low or anything. We went through in a friend's F250 with a slight lift on it.

To be honest though, I'd probably do what the suggestion above said, which is rent a car for the day. The road itself is narrow and very twisty, and if I were driving, I'd enjoy it a lot more with a car, vs a truck or a van.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have a look at google street view for those tunnels and the warning signs as you enter the roads.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
From a guy who was a NPS Ranger at Mt. Rushmore many years ago as a young man: I have traversed the Needles Hwy in my tow vehicle no problem.

IF I was camped in that area in a Class A or B I would seriously consider renting a car in Rapid City for the day I wanted to explore the Needles Hwy and the Iron Mountain Road. You will enjoy the experience a lot more.

There will be plenty of folks trying to explore those “Model T” Hwys in their rigs, and with a rental are you’ll be able to zip around them. The big rigs form inevitable back-ups and clog-points on the Needles Hwy. That awesome, skinny little highway wasn’t designed for today’s big rigs.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!