cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Biggish dog in pick up truck?

Vagabond_Homesc
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, newbies here. We are researching trucks and travel trailers as we'd like to do some long term travelling within the next year or two. We have two boys (8 and 5) plus one 60lb Goldendoodle. As we look at pick up trucks with extended cabs we realize we might have a problem with where to comfortably put our dog.
Those of you with pick-ups and large dogs. Where do you put your dog when the 2nd row is already occupied? We live in Texas and there is no way we can put him in the bed during summer.
We thought about looking at larger SUVs but that seems it would limit our trailer options.
32 REPLIES 32

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
we had a extended cab and now a crew cab, what I did is built a woden suport to bridge the gap from the back seat to the middle arm rest of the front seat so the dog could be in the middle of the back seat laying strait ahead with his head between the front pasengers. (I have a 88 Lb Lab) it gives lots of room even for two adults and the dog in the back.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
Johno02 wrote:
Generally big dogs travel better in crates, as they do not have to fight to retain their balance in a moving vehicle. As they do not have hands to grip with, motions, expecially quick or hard stops, can cause them to fall or have to scrabble to keep their balance. In our motor home, our two, (50 and 80 pounds) wantyed their crates back on the back bed, usually with the doors open, where they could lay down, curl up, and be safe. They liked the security of the smaller space.

No dog should ever be in a crate!

Hmmmm. Must be a cat person, because it's obvious that knowledge of dogs is minimal :C
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

marcel
Explorer
Explorer
We had our two similar aged kids in the backseat of our 1999 Chevy 2500 HD extended cab: you know, the one with the assisted-suicide door for the back seating. Our Chesapeake Bay Retriever would sit on the seat between the kids. We never heard any complaints that the kids were encroaching on each other's space. Instead, we heard groans that the dog was crushing them. Much quieter drive! :^)

We did upgrade to a full crew cab and a 4WD diesel with the Allison when the second very big dog adopted us (Tibetan mastiff mix?) and we challenged the old gasser with some nasty grades that it failed on. Solved a bunch of problems with that upgrade!
Burlet Clan: Karen & Marcel
Jacob: Lab/Akita, Lola: Boxer/Pit
"White Zin": Chevy Silverado 2500HD High Country
"Dalai Lama - One With Everything": Arctic Fox 27-5L

blt2ski
pitch wrote:
Johno02 wrote:
Generally big dogs travel better in crates, as they do not have to fight to retain their balance in a moving vehicle. As they do not have hands to grip with, motions, expecially quick or hard stops, can cause them to fall or have to scrabble to keep their balance. In our motor home, our two, (50 and 80 pounds) wantyed their crates back on the back bed, usually with the doors open, where they could lay down, curl up, and be safe. They liked the security of the smaller space.

As I said earlier, there is not right or wrong, only what the dog feels is correct......

With that said, if you have to plane travel, unless you have a tiny lap dog, you WILL be required to crate your dog to go on a plane in most cases. My sister who has one that has finished 2nd at Westminster, flies her sheepdogs all around the states, and sometimes other parts of the world in a crate frequently.
You can choose how you want to travel, Many of us will choose preferably a tied down one over a loose crate vs no crate and loose!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did I mention I used to cuddle Cleo, a couple hundred pounds of Rottweiler Tow Yard Dog. She's not mine

I now keep house with about 25 pounds of Kitty Cat. Ok, so he's old enough to vote. (I wonder if I should register him) but Maine Coons (one gene Just one Gene off from a Wild Lynx) are nice and cuddly cats Especially the toms>
Alex is an altered Tom)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to be impressed with how much room a crew cab full sized truck has, go to a construction site and see how many ....uh, 'day workers' get crammed into one.

(and i am in no way deriding anyone who busts his butt to Work. my total disdain is for those that wont work)

John_Burke
Explorer
Explorer
I take 3 grand kids, two yellow labs and too much gear. I pull my travel trailer with a one ton long wheel base van. It works great, have space to spare.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a Class A

BTW, it being hot in Texas is not why you don't put a dog in a pickup bed. Never, ever, EVER let a dog ride in a pickup bed.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
pitch wrote:

There are two schools of thought on that. I share yours.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at vans?

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
Johno02 wrote:

Err what? Our youngest dog loves his crate. We keep it closed (without him in it) during the day when we're home otherwise he'll drag all his blankets out and run around the yard with them, but at night or when we need to leave the house, as soon as we open the door, he hops off the couch and curls up in there.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

pitch wrote:
Johno02 wrote:

every one of my dogs were crate trained... Heck, at 7, the oldest will sometimes go and curl up in the crate when the door is open.... NOW, traveling down the highway in a crate in the bed of the truck is a different story..We don't do that, never have, never will.
Nor will they ever travel while in the crate in the trailer...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Prob plenty of room to ride in front passenger floor as well once the human passenger is comfy. It's a pretty safe spot w plenty of cool air available.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell