Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Best Place to Sell Tow Vehicle
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Best Place to Sell Tow Vehicle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
4bearhug

midwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not trying to break any rules but just want get some informed opinions on the best place to list a tow vehicle for sale with the least amount of hassle. I've used Craigslist in the past with some success but also had a fair amount of scammers. I've also used Cars.com and Autotraders with mixed results. Autotraders has really jacked up their rates. Are there other sites that I should be considering? It's a diesel truck so I didn't know if that made any difference.

chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy!

Escapees forum has a “RVs, Tows, and Toads for Sale”

Escapees forum “RVs, Tows, and Toads for sale”

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

riven1950

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I've used Craigslist in the past with some success but also had a fair amount of scammers. I've also used Cars.com and Autotraders with mixed results.

Those are the 3 I used for my last F150 and a car recently. Both sold in less than 2 weeks. Last buyer said he used all 3 to find the vehicle. BTW I think cars.com was free with just a few pics. I just told people to email for more pics and they did. Ebay is possible. Never sold there but bought a car and boat off Ebay.

Good luck

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of your buying a new one,sometimes its better to trade it in. Get the values , then figure on the tax savings, and the hassle selling it. Then see if its worth it for you.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

4bearhug

midwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

Of your buying a new one,sometimes its better to trade it in. Get the values , then figure on the tax savings, and the hassle selling it. Then see if its worth it for you.

Yes, that is always an option, but it appears that dealers pricing so low that it's not an option for me. I did an appraisal at all three of the popular online sites and the dealer offers were way below the trade in numbers I got. This is a low mileage diesel truck and I would hear "we can't give you more cause we will struggle to sell that here". I think the dealers just get enough people that just don't want the hassle of selling it so they just try to really fleece you on the trade in. May not be everyone, but not seeing any reasonable offers yet. YMMV

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Craigslist seems to be the necessary evil in my experience (other than the worse evil of trading in, that is). I find a descriptive well written ad it key to selling anything on Craigslist. I know as a shopper I'm pretty put off when all someone takes time to do is write two sentences. With RVs and trucks I've had great luck by writing accurate, descriptive ads that let people get to know the vehicle and your care/use of it.

Dealing with scammers? Well, that's kind of part of life anywhere these days. Google is your friend. Start entering phone numbers and email addresses of everyone you deal with. This can quickly let you know if their story adds up. I've also told people I expect to see a copy of their driver's license upon first contact and I'm happy to share mine. Of course, people don't have to share that if they don't want to it's a HUGE red flag if they refuse for some reason.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When selling anything through Craigslist, I always set up a location away from my home to show the item. If selling something that may be a high theft item, I have the perspective buyer meet me at the Sheriff's Department. They allow transactions in the parking lot in front of their building. I have had a couple of people refuse to meet me there. That was a huge red flag about the buyer. I showed a family my 2017 TT in a WalMart parking lot. They talked it over and put a deposit of $50 on it right there. I delivered it to the guys business the next day at noon and got the rest of my cash.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

riven1950

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/20 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

When selling anything through Craigslist, I always set up a location away from my home to show the item.

I started doing that but quickly became frustrated with the number of people who don't show up, no call, just wasting my time and gas. Now they come to me. We live in a pretty safe area and I sometimes have my .380 in my back pocket. Never invite them inside.

Good luck

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/20 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4bearhug wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

Yes, that is always an option, but it appears that dealers pricing so low that it's not an option for me. I did an appraisal at all three of the popular online sites and the dealer offers were way below the trade in numbers I got. This is a low mileage diesel truck and I would hear "we can't give you more cause we will struggle to sell that here". I think the dealers just get enough people that just don't want the hassle of selling it so they just try to really fleece you on the trade in. May not be everyone, but not seeing any reasonable offers yet. YMMV

Its also a negotiation with them. They offered me 16,000 on my old truck. I told them 17k or im not buying the new one, after some back and forth they gave me the 17k. So , after tax savings of 6 percent was like getting 18,500 for the truck. I could have sold it for 19, to 20. But figured 18500 was the low end of the private seller thing, and its no hassle. They tax number gets taken off the taxes for the new truck. But if the numbers dont work, they dont work. Good luck with selling it.

Vvvv1010

San Antonio, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/20 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Facebook Marketplace” is a great place to post your tow vehicle. You will need a login account to post your vehicle. Google first if you don’t have an account just to get a feel for it.

2011 Jayco Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2011 Ford F250 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Two 10'0 Kayaks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Best Place to Sell Tow Vehicle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.