cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enclosed underbelly

Ejraste
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, my next question on finding the right first travel trailer. Do I need to get a trailer that is 4 season and has enclosed underbelly? We don’t plan on actually doing any deep winter camping (at least no plans to at this point). I just wanted to see opinion’s on mostly the enclosed underbelly. I don’t want to pass up on a really good deal if the trailer maybe doesn’t have the enclosed and heated underbelly. Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
ours has an enclosed underbelly. Here's my opinion on the reason and marketing of enclosed underbellies. Reason for it has almost nothing to to with winter camping, it's primarily done because it's easier to build the trailer. Instead of wiring etc in the roof and paying attention to plumbing, the put the floor on the frame, flip the trailer frame over, run all the wiring and plumbing etc and don't do much for attachment, then put on the covering, flip the frame right side up and finish building.

So....... then the mktg dept was told come up with an ad campain. They came up with the 3 or 4 season idea with heated underbelly. In most cases the heat is the radiant heat from the ducting, no direct heat vent.

In my case the ducting was not great along with a few things I wanted to do so I pulled the covering, did the upgrades, which would have been much harder with an open underbelly due to access to some wiring etc that would have been in the ceiling, closed it back up and on two of the heat ducts drilled a 1/2" hole in the side of the vent in the floor to get heat underneath.

Yes, I like the enclosed underbelly but for many many people there is not a real advantage.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just finished two 4hr days installing Strong Arms...figure it would have been about 2hr if I had direct access to the frame.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
MSchu wrote:
We have an enclosed underbelly on our trailer, and it has made it tough to get at and replace things like the converter and water pump. But we have been surprised with temps in the teens at night (way below the forecast low) when camping at higher elevations in February and March and it was nice to have everything protected. And there were days of towing in 28-30° for a few hours before it warmed up. For me it's worth a few extra hours of work every year or two.

Was under the impression that water pumps could be readily accessible from inside of trailer.....not ?

MSchu
Explorer
Explorer
We have an enclosed underbelly on our trailer, and it has made it tough to get at and replace things like the converter and water pump. But we have been surprised with temps in the teens at night (way below the forecast low) when camping at higher elevations in February and March and it was nice to have everything protected. And there were days of towing in 28-30° for a few hours before it warmed up. For me it's worth a few extra hours of work every year or two.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
My 2010 Dutchmen has an enclosed belly but it is simply a plastic heavy tarp type material.

It is of standard construction and will usually be good for a couple of days at 28 degrees. It would do more if we ran the furnace but we get by with a space heater.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Danoo
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

I've had both enclosed and open. I, by far, preferred the enclosed belly. The floors were always comfortable.

What he said!
Dan
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD QC SB 4x4
2020 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 22FQS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I've had both enclosed and open. I, by far, preferred the enclosed belly. The floors were always comfortable.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I'll reiterate on previous post regarding mice.

I live in the mountains where mice are prevalent and had a serious issue with them overtaking our previous trailer until I finally won that war.

Our current trailer with enclosed underbelly made for quick work finding where foam needed to be sprayed.

We also leave trailer completely stocked with food year around with both slides out.....not a single mouse.

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^"shortcomings"^^^^ lololol I like it!
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Its a great thing for the manufacturer to keep the shortcomings out of sight such as crushed ducts, wiring that is stretched too tight and looks like a rats nest or ran on top of joists with subfloor over top of it, missed or improperly installed insulation, etc. When I had to pull the coroplast down to reinforce the frame at the leveler attachment points on our Grand Design, we found all sorts of **** workmanship along with enough hardware to stock a small store, enough wiring and plumbing scrap to fill a bucket, and enough sawdust to line a couple of hamster cages, and two empty Coca Cola cans.

Keep mice out? Good luck with that, better buy a case of blow foam and tape and get to work.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I wouldn't agree that it keeps mice out...The underbelly isn't typically sealed up well enough. Mice can get thru really tiny holes.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Ejraste wrote:
Ok so what it seems like Is that I shouldn’t go out of my way and turn down any good deals just because it doesn’t have the enclosed underbelly.

Yup! Mine has an enclosed bottem. Good for keeping stuff out. But i havent removed it yet, i have no clue where my tanks are, what goes where, etc. If i need to work on it , it will be a pita. As for the rest, i agree no such thing as a 4 season camper. If its cold stuff will freeze. Unless your down south!
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Ejraste
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so what it seems like Is that I shouldn’t go out of my way and turn down any good deals just because it doesn’t have the enclosed underbelly.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Pros and cons with everything,
Definitely not a deal breaker.

Our trailer is 4 season but still must be winterized and wouldn't trust it camping below freezing.

Does keep the floors warm and discourages mice from entering trailer.