Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Enclosed underbelly
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Enclosed underbelly

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/20 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ejraste wrote:

Ok so what it seems like Is that I shouldn’t go out of my way and turn down any good deals just because it doesn’t have the enclosed underbelly.

Yup! Mine has an enclosed bottem. Good for keeping stuff out. But i havent removed it yet, i have no clue where my tanks are, what goes where, etc. If i need to work on it , it will be a pita. As for the rest, i agree no such thing as a 4 season camper. If its cold stuff will freeze. Unless your down south!

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't agree that it keeps mice out...The underbelly isn't typically sealed up well enough. Mice can get thru really tiny holes.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its a great thing for the manufacturer to keep the shortcomings out of sight such as crushed ducts, wiring that is stretched too tight and looks like a rats nest or ran on top of joists with subfloor over top of it, missed or improperly installed insulation, etc. When I had to pull the coroplast down to reinforce the frame at the leveler attachment points on our Grand Design, we found all sorts of **** workmanship along with enough hardware to stock a small store, enough wiring and plumbing scrap to fill a bucket, and enough sawdust to line a couple of hamster cages, and two empty Coca Cola cans.

Keep mice out? Good luck with that, better buy a case of blow foam and tape and get to work.

mooky stinks

Cicero,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^"shortcomings"^^^^ lololol I like it!

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll reiterate on previous post regarding mice.

I live in the mountains where mice are prevalent and had a serious issue with them overtaking our previous trailer until I finally won that war.

Our current trailer with enclosed underbelly made for quick work finding where foam needed to be sprayed.

We also leave trailer completely stocked with food year around with both slides out.....not a single mouse.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I've had both enclosed and open. I, by far, preferred the enclosed belly. The floors were always comfortable.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Danoo

Califorina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/20 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

I've had both enclosed and open. I, by far, preferred the enclosed belly. The floors were always comfortable.

What he said!

Dan
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD QC SB 4x4
2020 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 22FQS

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/20 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2010 Dutchmen has an enclosed belly but it is simply a plastic heavy tarp type material.

It is of standard construction and will usually be good for a couple of days at 28 degrees. It would do more if we ran the furnace but we get by with a space heater.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

MSchu

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have an enclosed underbelly on our trailer, and it has made it tough to get at and replace things like the converter and water pump. But we have been surprised with temps in the teens at night (way below the forecast low) when camping at higher elevations in February and March and it was nice to have everything protected. And there were days of towing in 28-30° for a few hours before it warmed up. For me it's worth a few extra hours of work every year or two.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MSchu wrote:

We have an enclosed underbelly on our trailer, and it has made it tough to get at and replace things like the converter and water pump. But we have been surprised with temps in the teens at night (way below the forecast low) when camping at higher elevations in February and March and it was nice to have everything protected. And there were days of towing in 28-30° for a few hours before it warmed up. For me it's worth a few extra hours of work every year or two.

Was under the impression that water pumps could be readily accessible from inside of trailer.....not ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Enclosed underbelly
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.