Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy a 2020 Ram diesel?

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Two questions for the Ram fans:

1. If the worst happens, can I put an older junk yard, say 2010 and up, Cummins in the new trucks? No emissions testing where I live, and my first Cummins was in a 1971 Ford dump, I know that one would not fit.

2. What is the best forum for the Ram diesels?

Thanks for the help.
36 REPLIES 36

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Someone please explain why we are not hearing of newer Ford's having pump issues?

Ford assumed GM's actions of just silently fixing them???? And quit blaming the users????

Or not enough miles on the newer ones:

"While supplying high-pressure fuel is an injection pump's job, the CP4 does so with a high probability of failing (typically around the 100,000-mile mark) and leaving owners with a need to overhaul their truck's entire fuel system, at a cost that can be anywhere between $8,000 and $10,000."

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/what-is-cp4-failure

Bosch refuses to pay Edgebrock to use their cam follower patent.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I’m sure there’s the odd issue just like the cp4 rams.
I don’t troll Powerstroke forums, so don’t know....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Someone please explain why we are not hearing of newer Ford's having pump issues?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

Cummins has a much longer relationship with Bosch than Ford does.

I don't think that is entirely true. What many people do not know is that Bosch also makes fuel systems for gasoline engines as well as many other parts such as sensors, spark plugs, and so one. If I am not mistaken, there were many Bosch made parts on 80 and 90 model Fords. In fact, I believe Bosch made the injectors in my old Ford 4.9L(300) inline 6.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
thomas201 wrote:
The OP here. Steady down, read only the words on the page, don't plug in your own thoughts and read between the lines. I am looking for a long term relationship with a truck. I come from a mining and oilfield background so 5 years and 100k are not big intervals. It will be kept bone stock, but in case of a major failure, rod through the side, oil pump failure, whatever; what junkyard/rebuilt engines are bolt ins? I include all the electronics in the transplant.

Still, what is a good Ram truck website??? Equal to the Ford Truck forums?

5 years from now there will be junkyard 2019 and 2020 engines.
You’re missing the point. If you have to ask, it’s too complicated, electronically. Different components , diff IP, diff ECM TCMBCM etc.
Maybe possible but you’re not going to get answers as no one is swapping out the year old engines with junkyard motors.

Cumminsforum

Don't worry... Stellantis will make it better!

Nothing will make the CP4-2 better! I would bet that the Denso pump goes on the RAM before Ford does. Chris

Cummins has a much longer relationship with Bosch than Ford does.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
thomas201 wrote:
The OP here. Steady down, read only the words on the page, don't plug in your own thoughts and read between the lines. I am looking for a long term relationship with a truck. I come from a mining and oilfield background so 5 years and 100k are not big intervals. It will be kept bone stock, but in case of a major failure, rod through the side, oil pump failure, whatever; what junkyard/rebuilt engines are bolt ins? I include all the electronics in the transplant.

You’re missing the point. If you have to ask, it’s too complicated, electronically. Different components , diff IP, diff ECM TCMBCM etc.
Maybe possible but you’re not going to get answers as no one is swapping out the year old engines with junkyard motors.

Cumminsforum

Nothing will make the CP4-2 better! I would bet that the Denso pump goes on the RAM before Ford does. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ROFL
Whatever I suppose. Chrysler has been changing hands for a while. Idk better or worse, nor do I care about things I have no control over.
But back to the OP, who ghosted the thread...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
thomas201 wrote:

Cumminsforum

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Get a nice 18 or older with low miles and add a MaxCare warranty.

This. The 2018 and down has the CP3 high pressure fuel pump which is much superior to the CP4 used in the 2019 and up. I knew it was just a matter of time until these issues started cropping up. I will be keeping my 2013 until death do us part.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get a nice 18 or older with low miles and add a MaxCare warranty.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

mlh
Explorer
Explorer
I get where you are coming from with that question. I am the current owner of a 2019 2500 CTD with 15,000 miles. It left my family on the side of the road for three hours waiting on a tow truck and another two hours waiting on a friend to drive that far to pick up the camper. It is still sitting in the shop because the injector pump is backordered until October or November. FCA can't get a loaner or rental due to issues with the Coronavirus. FCA will not replace it or buy it back. I can not wait that long for a vehicle so I am pretty much forced to trade it in at the dealership where it sits and take my lumps. I am still waiting on an answer as to whether they are helping me any financially with purchase assistance dollars. I am going to a 2020 3500 CTD, and am concerned that this could happen again. I read a quote on one of the forums ..."the pump failures are not a big problem, unless it happens to you, then its a REALLY big problem."
2021 Ram 2500 Crew, 6.4, 4x4
2022 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 287BH
B and W patriot 18k slider.

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
thomas201 wrote:
Two questions for the Ram fans:

1. If the worst happens, can I put an older junk yard, say 2010 and up, Cummins in the new trucks? No emissions testing where I live, and my first Cummins was in a 1971 Ford dump, I know that one would not fit.

2. What is the best forum for the Ram diesels?

Thanks for the help.

Highly unlikely you'll integrate a '10 engine with a '20 chassis. Even if you get the engine itself to run, mating it to the newer transmission control modules, and chassis control modules (say, for traction and stability control systems), may be next to impossible.

You may have better luck finding an ISB / transmission package made for RVs. They're made to integrate with independent chassis builders. Of course, you'll likely have to run custom gauge clusters.

Conclusion, just not worth it to think / plan that far ahead...

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
If 5 yrs/100K is nothing, I'd just buy an extended factory warranty from the manufacturer.

If you don't use it, good! To the poster that felt his extended warranty was a waste of money, that's like saying I wasted money on car insurance because I never had a bad accident -- good!! Same goes for health insurance. Funny how we look at some things.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
thomas201 wrote:
Thank you to Cummins12V98 and rjstractor for the website:)

See you there!