Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Buy a 2020 Ram diesel?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Buy a 2020 Ram diesel?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomas201 wrote:

The OP here. Steady down, read only the words on the page, don't plug in your own thoughts and read between the lines. I am looking for a long term relationship with a truck. I come from a mining and oilfield background so 5 years and 100k are not big intervals. It will be kept bone stock, but in case of a major failure, rod through the side, oil pump failure, whatever; what junkyard/rebuilt engines are bolt ins? I include all the electronics in the transplant.

Still, what is a good Ram truck website??? Equal to the Ford Truck forums?

5 years from now there will be junkyard 2019 and 2020 engines.
You’re missing the point. If you have to ask, it’s too complicated, electronically. Different components , diff IP, diff ECM TCMBCM etc.
Maybe possible but you’re not going to get answers as no one is swapping out the year old engines with junkyard motors.

Cumminsforum

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomas201 wrote:

The OP here. Steady down, read only the words on the page, don't plug in your own thoughts and read between the lines. I am looking for a long term relationship with a truck. I come from a mining and oilfield background so 5 years and 100k are not big intervals. It will be kept bone stock, but in case of a major failure, rod through the side, oil pump failure, whatever; what junkyard/rebuilt engines are bolt ins? I include all the electronics in the transplant.

Makes sense. I think most agree that the truck will likely turn to dust and crumble before the engine fails, but you never know. Turbo Diesel Register seems to be a popular site for Ram Cummins owners.

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/20 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you to Cummins12V98 and rjstractor for the website[emoticon]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomas201 wrote:

Thank you to Cummins12V98 and rjstractor for the website[emoticon]

See you there!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/20 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If 5 yrs/100K is nothing, I'd just buy an extended factory warranty from the manufacturer.

If you don't use it, good! To the poster that felt his extended warranty was a waste of money, that's like saying I wasted money on car insurance because I never had a bad accident -- good!! Same goes for health insurance. Funny how we look at some things.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 12:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomas201 wrote:

Two questions for the Ram fans:

1. If the worst happens, can I put an older junk yard, say 2010 and up, Cummins in the new trucks? No emissions testing where I live, and my first Cummins was in a 1971 Ford dump, I know that one would not fit.

2. What is the best forum for the Ram diesels?

Thanks for the help.

Highly unlikely you'll integrate a '10 engine with a '20 chassis. Even if you get the engine itself to run, mating it to the newer transmission control modules, and chassis control modules (say, for traction and stability control systems), may be next to impossible.

You may have better luck finding an ISB / transmission package made for RVs. They're made to integrate with independent chassis builders. Of course, you'll likely have to run custom gauge clusters.

Conclusion, just not worth it to think / plan that far ahead...

mlh

Walker, Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/20 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get where you are coming from with that question. I am the current owner of a 2019 2500 CTD with 15,000 miles. It left my family on the side of the road for three hours waiting on a tow truck and another two hours waiting on a friend to drive that far to pick up the camper. It is still sitting in the shop because the injector pump is backordered until October or November. FCA can't get a loaner or rental due to issues with the Coronavirus. FCA will not replace it or buy it back. I can not wait that long for a vehicle so I am pretty much forced to trade it in at the dealership where it sits and take my lumps. I am still waiting on an answer as to whether they are helping me any financially with purchase assistance dollars. I am going to a 2020 3500 CTD, and am concerned that this could happen again. I read a quote on one of the forums ..."the pump failures are not a big problem, unless it happens to you, then its a REALLY big problem."

2018 Ram 2500 crew, 4x4, 6.4L, 3.73
2019 Puma 29QBSS
Equalizer weight distribution and sway control

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a nice 18 or older with low miles and add a MaxCare warranty.

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Get a nice 18 or older with low miles and add a MaxCare warranty.

This. The 2018 and down has the CP3 high pressure fuel pump which is much superior to the CP4 used in the 2019 and up. I knew it was just a matter of time until these issues started cropping up. I will be keeping my 2013 until death do us part.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

thomas201 wrote:

5 years from now there will be junkyard 2019 and 2020 engines.
You’re missing the point. If you have to ask, it’s too complicated, electronically. Different components , diff IP, diff ECM TCMBCM etc.
Maybe possible but you’re not going to get answers as no one is swapping out the year old engines with junkyard motors.

Cumminsforum

Don't worry... Stellantis will make it better!

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Buy a 2020 Ram diesel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.