StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
JaxDad wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
charlestonsouthern wrote:
Noteven, agree that the article was vague and your question was a valid one. Your question also leads to the point that the national boundaries in that area (to include some of the islands) have been in dispute for years; it has been a long, long time since my college years, but I think since before Canada was its own country. Since both the US and Canada have agreed to disagree on certain boundaries (rather than shoot at each other), the RCMP gave them (probably commercial vessels making money) low fines and said "just go away."

there is no disput on the boarder and has never been since proabably during the colonial times, but it was a funny read.

Steve

What’s funny to me is that you live out there and still don’t know about it.

Discussion of Canada US border disputes.

no what is funny is you said there are island ownerships in dispute, there isnt, there will always be water way disputes where theyere isnt the 300 miles between the countrys land masses. but the west coast ones are all fishing disputes due to the salmon runs. Personaly I think they should make it so any disputed waters niether party can enter untill it is resolved. then things will get hammered out fast.

international water rights are disputed all over the world, nothing new and will go on for ever I imagin.

Steve

Actually it was charlestonsouthern not me that mentioned an Island, of which there certainly IS one in dispute between the US & Canada, it is discussed in the article I posted.

Clicky-clikey for Machias Seal Island

ah ok sorry haha. Im not that familier with the east coast, spent my 20 years in the Navy on the west coast.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

EEWally
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to buy property in the "disputed" area, what does the title insurance company say?
1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
Noteven, agree that the article was vague and your question was a valid one. Your question also leads to the point that the national boundaries in that area (to include some of the islands) have been in dispute for years; it has been a long, long time since my college years, but I think since before Canada was its own country. Since both the US and Canada have agreed to disagree on certain boundaries (rather than shoot at each other), the RCMP gave them (probably commercial vessels making money) low fines and said "just go away."

there is no disput on the boarder and has never been since proabably during the colonial times, but it was a funny read.

Steve

no what is funny is you said there are island ownerships in dispute, there isnt, there will always be water way disputes where theyere isnt the 300 miles between the countrys land masses. but the west coast ones are all fishing disputes due to the salmon runs. Personaly I think they should make it so any disputed waters niether party can enter untill it is resolved. then things will get hammered out fast.

international water rights are disputed all over the world, nothing new and will go on for ever I imagin.

Steve

Actually it was charlestonsouthern not me that mentioned an Island, of which there certainly IS one in dispute between the US & Canada, it is discussed in the article I posted.

Clicky-clikey for Machias Seal Island

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
JaxDad wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:

Steve

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I can understand if someone is using a boat to get on land in Canada and lied about it, as maybe the first boat did?

But a whale watching boat? Don't those boats usually go out off shore? If the boat doesn't come onto Canadian land, I don't see the issue. Maybe it was really close to shore?

I am also thinking maybe the boat owner's / captains were not cooperating with the Canadian officials.

Odd story.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:

Steve

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy, I'll give you some key words so that you may do your own work; that was the same criteria I had for my students --

Pacific-Northwest American-Canadian Border Dispute
Boundary Bay
strait of Georgia
49th Parallel
Bending of the 49th Parallel
Particular years of dispute discussion 1792, 1846, 1858, 1973, 1987 etc.

This is just one primary dispute; there are other smaller ones. Do you keep your old unbridged Canadian history book around the house? These national waters disputes are nothing new--they happen with most all countries except island countries.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Noteven, agree that the article was vague and your question was a valid one. Your question also leads to the point that the national boundaries in that area (to include some of the islands) have been in dispute for years; it has been a long, long time since my college years, but I think since before Canada was its own country. Since both the US and Canada have agreed to disagree on certain boundaries (rather than shoot at each other), the RCMP gave them (probably commercial vessels making money) low fines and said "just go away." Believe me, those passengers on those vessels were not poor people, and those fines were a drop in the bucket. And seizing assets would be something they would turn over to someone they knew in the State Department. Yes, I wish the article had much more detail.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
They not only ignored the rules, they lied about their intent.

Frankly, under the circumstances, $1000 is not near a heavy enough fine.

the fine is the small part, you also face a ban from entering canada. if this happens if you realy want to go to alaska your flying or taking a boat.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
So did they make land fall in Canada or come in contact with anyone resident in Canada?

The article is not clear why the RCMP were in contact with them...

Boat one....They entered Canada and claimed they were on their way to Alaska. They weren't.

Boat two..was a whale watching vessel. Suffered the same fate.

Gary
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
So did they make land fall in Canada or come in contact with anyone resident in Canada?

The article is not clear why the RCMP were in contact with them...

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Take the boat.

I agree, impound the boat or RV (whichever the case) for 30 days. Then the guilty party has to make arrangements to have it returned to them after 30 days plus impound charges.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Take the boat.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.