cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Celebrating 50 years while beating the heat...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
My bride and I just returned yesterday from a great 9 day trip up to the White Mountains where we celebrated our 50th anniversary. {Yes, we got married when we were 12... we didn't want to but had to} :S

We'd planned a an elegant party for 25 of our closest friends and relatives last January but of course had to cancel to keep everyone safe. Instead we sat beneath our awning drinking a nice bottle of 2008 Dom Perignon {courtesy of my very generous BIL}. Filet Mignon accompanied by a nice baked potato with the works and Cheese Cake for dessert rounded out a great night.

We started out at the Heber RV Resort which is a nice facility about 30 miles west of show Low. The sites are a bit tight/close together but the amenities are very nice. We tow our cargo trailer hauling my motorcycle so we could ride the many great roads found in the White mountains. In six day of riding we logged 750+ miles over some of the most awesome bike roads in America.

After 4 days In Heber we moved 100 miles east to the Rainbow campground at Big Lake located at 9,150'. Here is a shot of our site at Rainbow:

Just 20 miles down a very twisty road from our site we reached the Devil's Highway {formerly AZ 666 but folks kept stealing the signs so AZ Dept of Transportation rebadged it AZ 191 - seriously, Google it}. We had ridden the DH from south to north a couple of years ago and the incoming Monsoon thunderstorms limited our rides to the northern half but it is still widely regarded as the finest motorcycle road in America... Over 1,100 curves in less than 120 miles and at least one quarter of those curves are first gear events. :E Most of the DH takes place at or well above 7 - 8000' and the views are nothing short of awesome. This was taken at the Blue Vista near the midpoint and one of the highest portions of the DH:

We had Elk wandering through the campground and the Black Bears are seen on a regular basis. Afternoons usually brought spectacular Monsoon thunderstorms and we usually get up to Rainbow a couple of times a summer as when you are 9,150' the heat of Tucson is all but forgotten.

Anywhere in Arizona {and probably most of the ret of the country} requires reservations this summer as all of the campgrounds are full or nearly so but we had no problems keeping our distance as did most of our fellow campers. Most of the sites at Rainbow are huge and very well dispersed. Out riding it is just my bride and I and we would pack a nice lunch for the longer rides as we do not eat anything that I have not prepared {that has been true for 4.5 months now but fortunately I love to cook}.

:B
12 REPLIES 12

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desert Captain wrote:
My bride and I just returned yesterday from a great 9 day trip up to the White Mountains where we celebrated our 50th anniversary. {Yes, we got married when we were 12... we didn't want to but had to} :S

We'd planned a an elegant party for 25 of our closest friends and relatives last January but of course had to cancel to keep everyone safe. Instead we sat beneath our awning drinking a nice bottle of 2008 Dom Perignon {courtesy of my very generous BIL}. Filet Mignon accompanied by a nice baked potato with the works and Cheese Cake for dessert rounded out a great night.

We started out at the Heber RV Resort which is a nice facility about 30 miles west of show Low. The sites are a bit tight/close together but the amenities are very nice. We tow our cargo trailer hauling my motorcycle so we could ride the many great roads found in the White mountains. In six day of riding we logged 750+ miles over some of the most awesome bike roads in America.

After 4 days In Heber we moved 100 miles east to the Rainbow campground at Big Lake located at 9,150'. Here is a shot of our site at Rainbow:

Just 20 miles down a very twisty road from our site we reached the Devil's Highway {formerly AZ 666 but folks kept stealing the signs so AZ Dept of Transportation rebadged it AZ 191 - seriously, Google it}. We had ridden the DH from south to north a couple of years ago and the incoming Monsoon thunderstorms limited our rides to the northern half but it is still widely regarded as the finest motorcycle road in America... Over 1,100 curves in less than 120 miles and at least one quarter of those curves are first gear events. :E Most of the DH takes place at or well above 7 - 8000' and the views are nothing short of awesome. This was taken at the Blue Vista near the midpoint and one of the highest portions of the DH:

We had Elk wandering through the campground and the Black Bears are seen on a regular basis. Afternoons usually brought spectacular Monsoon thunderstorms and we usually get up to Rainbow a couple of times a summer as when you are 9,150' the heat of Tucson is all but forgotten.

Anywhere in Arizona {and probably most of the ret of the country} requires reservations this summer as all of the campgrounds are full or nearly so but we had no problems keeping our distance as did most of our fellow campers. Most of the sites at Rainbow are huge and very well dispersed. Out riding it is just my bride and I and we would pack a nice lunch for the longer rides as we do not eat anything that I have not prepared {that has been true for 4.5 months now but fortunately I love to cook}.

:B

DC ... congrats on 50 years together ... unfortunately IMHO that's getting rarer and rarer these days!!

The DW and myself hit 50 years last spring but had to skip celebrating much due to her fresh knee operation back then. We were going to make it up this spring with a drycamping and fishing trip to the lake ... but alas we're having to postpone that now to due to you-know-what. We're just enjoying our stick house shaded by it's redwoods and oaks.

We're keeping the Class C on hookups in the back yard to maintain it's batteries and run it's ventilation fan -> I did install a new high power warm LED outside light on it, though.

P.S. No heat here at 1800 feet altitude along the coast. Nearly every morning coastal fog kisses our property and then dissipates around noon. The afternoons wind up with clear blue skies and temps in the high 70's to low 80's. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
ronfisherman wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
Congrats on 50, we're at 54, I was intently reading your story when halfway through the first part, I realized you weren't talking about the White Mountains in NH. Still a great story, we'll be waiting to hear about the 75th. :W

:B I thought the same thing. Until I relaized post was by Desert Captain.

Mr and Mrs Desert Captain, Congratulation on 50 years and many more.
Going to the White Mtns in NH next week it will be 52 years for us in Dec. Congratulations, not many make it that long.

ronfisherman
bukhrn wrote:
Congrats on 50, we're at 54, I was intently reading your story when halfway through the first part, I realized you weren't talking about the White Mountains in NH. Still a great story, we'll be waiting to hear about the 75th. :W

:B I thought the same thing. Until I relaized post was by Desert Captain.

Mr and Mrs Desert Captain, Congratulation on 50 years and many more.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats, but putting it perspective, if youโ€™ve made it through 50 years of โ€˜marital blissโ€™ ..... a little heat wave is NOTHING!!! LOL.

Sqdancecaller
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! We celebrated our 50th in Feb.
2013 Thor Chateau 32 ft.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations Desert Captain on your 50th Anniversary. That has become a rare celebration in our society. You found a great way to celebrate. Good for you.

We recently celebrated our 42nd. But we were 20 years old, not 12 ๐Ÿ˜‰ That would make you and us the same age ;);)

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your celebratory trip report! Congratulations! We would much rather do what you did for our anniversary than have a party ๐Ÿ™‚

We've been on 191 from Springerville down to Hannagan Meadow, but never south of there. Gotta do it someday!
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats!
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats !!!!!

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful event.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
12 years old, that was you guys on the news back then ?

Congrats guys, God bless .

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Great narrative, photos and congratulations on 50!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad