cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AC went out after getting unplugged?

B_B_Upch
Explorer
Explorer
Hello again. Hoping to get some more help. It's been a while. So I plugged my rv into my 30 amp plug at the house & turned on the front AC to see if it would cool & get things ready for summer.. while it was running. My buddy & I went to check the 50 to 30 plugs(I had to replace the 30) to see if they were getting hot. They were fine but after I put them down it got unplugged & my AC went off.. so before I plugged it back in I walked inside & turned off the thermostat. We gave it a few minutes & I walked back out plugged the rv back in & when I went to turn the AC on nothing happens... the thermostat comes on but neither ac units come on.. no hum.. no fan ... nothing.. I checked the fuse at the breaker inside & it looks good. Any suggestions on what or where to look? Thanks
25 REPLIES 25

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Aim for a continuous load of 80%. That is 24 amps or 2880 watts, on a 30 amp service.

As voltage drops, the air conditioner will draw more and more amps.

Do some measuring. If the voltage is lower than 108 don't run the air conditioner. Consider adding an autoformer.

I hope you used deoxit on the wiring at the breaker.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
B.B.Upch wrote:
Ok guys I got it fixed.. did some wiring at the breaker & now my ac is back to working thanks... still have another issue that needs help.

Where my 50 amp cord plugs into my 30 amp cord got hot & melted last time. So I replaced the end & the plugs. I was told that it was because my wires at my plug where reversed & that i had cross polarity.... so this time I made sure that my wires lined up correctly.. my TV has been plugged in for 4 days now with 1 ac running & nothing else & my 30 amp cord is black again where it plugs into my adapter... what would cause this?

Because you are overloaded on the circuit. You need to get a digital meter and see what your line voltage is at the RV when you have the AC running. Doug

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Oops! double post!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Loose connection, Can't be you replaced both connectors?
Did you cut the cables back to get good clean copper conductor? If not redo!
Did you replace the adapter?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

B_B_Upch
Explorer
Explorer
Ok guys I got it fixed.. did some wiring at the breaker & now my ac is back to working thanks... still have another issue that needs help.

Where my 50 amp cord plugs into my 30 amp cord got hot & melted last time. So I replaced the end & the plugs. I was told that it was because my wires at my plug where reversed & that i had cross polarity.... so this time I made sure that my wires lined up correctly.. my TV has been plugged in for 4 days now with 1 ac running & nothing else & my 30 amp cord is black again where it plugs into my adapter... what would cause this?

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Does the system work on fan like suggested by Doug?

Look at all the breakers, are they all lined up perfectly? Or is one breaker slightly out of line. Flip all the breakers off. They should be solidly in the off position.

If any breaker has a sort of spongy feeling when pushing to off you need to push harder until it clicks solidly to off. Then turn all the breakers back on and test again.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
what about the house breaker, I was plugged in at home.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Go up on the roof and pull the AC cover off. Check the start capacitor to see if it blew out. If you don't know how to check one, do a Google search. If you're still not comfortable, call an AC tech. Chuck

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
B.B.Upch wrote:
Ok so my lights are working & my micro wave is working but my ac is still not coming on.. also my slide out is not working but not sure that is caused by same problem.. I only have 1 house battery on right now. Not sure that matters. Its been a while since i used the slide out

You slide out does not use any 120 volts to operate. It is 12 volt. At this point, you are just wasting time until you remove the 120 Breaker panel cover and actually use a voltmeter to see if ALL the 120 breakers have 120 volts. Your M/W "may" appear to be operating because it may be on an Inverter Circuit and your Inverter is ON. I am leaning towards a burnt out transfer box because you stated you have your 50 amp coach on adapted 50 to 30 and doing that over time will cause a Transfer box to heat up and burn out the contacs. Once you test the breakers in the 120 breaker panel, that will narrow down if your Transfer box is bad. Doug

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Is the battery charged?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

B_B_Upch
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so I checked the fuse box inside the rv next to the breakers & they all tested good (both sides of fuses). I will try to post a picture. How do I check voltage at the AC unit?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
YOu said the slidout is not working but the lights are. That's strange
Most RV's the Lights are 12 volt and of course so it is the slide.
A list of other things 12 volt
A/C control
Furnace
Water pump
Refrigerator control
Water heater control
Fans (other than A/C)

Check your 12 volt fuse panel. Best way is a test light Ground the clip then probe the small square "Window" on the blade fuse Bright/Bright = Good
On the house panel dark/dark is major problem
Bright/dark or dark/bright = blown fuse .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

B_B_Upch
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks guys I will double check again... I switch the breaker off & on a couple of times. And still nothing. No sound of any kind in cool mode or fan mode.
I will break put the bolt meter tomorrow & see if i can find the power to the AC units.
I think it has an inverter but not sure where it is. It has a power box at the outside plug & a breaker box inside the rv under the fridge. I think it has a breaker box under the hood as well. But the AC breaker is inside & I checked it & the fuses to it as well

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
turn the A/C breaker hard off then hard on.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.