cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reno, NV to Medford, OR

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Middle of next week I plan to do a leg of a longer trip involving Reno to Medford. Was going to go up to Susanville, then take 44 to Old Station then 89 to I-5. BUT, I just found out online that there is a fire near Susanville which is causing the closure of 44.

So if 44 is still closed the day I travel this leg, I'm thinking of an alternate route...for which I would like comments.

How about 395 north (including Standish cutoff to avoid Susanville) to Alturas, then 299 west to 139 (39 in Oregon), then take Hwy 140 west over to Medford. I actually think I did this route one year, but want additional confirmation that all roads included make up a good RV route.

Or any other suggestions?
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara
7 REPLIES 7

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I take the Standish cutoff and go up through Alturas, Lakeview, OR and Silver Lake on the way to Seattle. Great road.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody for your replies. I'm confident in my options now. And I will check CalTrans and ODOT websites along the way.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are on the right track. I drive those roads all the time. Some of the best back roads on the West Coast. Avoid the interstates. Mt Shasta to Medford is not bad on I-5.

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
J herb wrote:
Janss wrote:
Middle of next week I plan to do a leg of a longer trip involving Reno to Medford. Was going to go up to Susanville, then take 44 to Old Station then 89 to I-5. BUT, I just found out online that there is a fire near Susanville which is causing the closure of 44.

So if 44 is still closed the day I travel this leg, I'm thinking of an alternate route...for which I would like comments.

How about 395 north (including Standish cutoff to avoid Susanville) to Alturas, then 299 west to 139 (39 in Oregon), then take Hwy 140 west over to Medford. I actually think I did this route one year, but want additional confirmation that all roads included make up a good RV route.

That is a good two lane road and we have taken it many a times, in fact I like it way better than Susanville to I-5
Their is a nice rest area just before you get to Standish turn off.

Update, their are two fires one near Canby,Ca. Hwy. 299 and one at Lava Beds NM. Hwy. 39 so you may need to take 80 to Sacramento,Ca. than I 5 to Medford as was posted after my first posting.

What ever way you take get on line to check out the fires as they can start at anytime this time of the year.
Here in Medford we will be 100 to 104 from Sunday to Tuesday than in the 90s
Good luck with your trip and safe travels.
J herb

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
44 Susanville to Old Station is now open. Hwy 36 Susanville to Westwood still closed.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:

Because of the unpredictable of fires in the areas you are wanting to travel, I would suggest you consider I-80 from Reno to I-5 in Sacramento then north on I-5 to Medford.

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:

That is a good two lane road and we have taken it many a times, in fact I like it way better than Susanville to I-5
Their is a nice rest area just before you get to Standish turn off.
J herb