Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Advance on Travel Trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Advance on Travel Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
HNTucker

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, I’m new to the RV world. I have a grand Jeep Cherokee 2011 with the V6 engine with tow package. I have settled on two very different travel trailers. One is 1100 pounds dry weight 13 feet in length and the other is 1800 dry weight and will likely be 2800 pounds max when fully loaded 17 feet in length. I have zero interest or ability to upgrade my vehicle at this point. It will be myself and the dog crew traveling.

Question 1: Will the larger trailer put too much stress on my vehicle over time at that weight

Question 2: I heard that smaller trailers are actually harder to back up , so would the larger trailer actually be easier to navigate

And Lastly Question 3: Would boondocking be reasonable with either length?

Any advice is welcomed

Thanks in advance

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is not enough length difference in those two to matter at all when backing.

I can’t comment on if your suv will be ok towing it or not, but soon enough you will get some advice on that.

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Either trailer would be fine with your vehicle, but...
You’ll likely need a trailer brake controller and 7 pin connector with the larger one. The smaller trailer likely does not have trailer brakes and a four pin connector for lights is all that is needed. Most, if not all, states do not require trailer brakes under 2000# GVWR and many don’t require them until 3000# GVWR. A Weight distributing hitch would be nice for the larger trailer if it squatted your SUV much, not needed with the smaller one.
I towed a 3877 GVWR TT with a V6 Ford Explorer V6 with tow package. Engine was a little weak on steep or long hills But elsewise fine towing that. I did use a weight distributing hitch.
Smaller length single axle trailers are easier to jackknife when backing. Just expect it and go easy and slow while backing.
I own a small 2000# 4x4x8.5’ cargo trailer & it is real easy to jackknife. My previous 2995# GVWR (on 3500# axle, no brakes) 10x6x6’ cargo trailer was also easy to jackknife.
Just don’t be in a hurry when backing up. Like the Shootist said, “slow is smooth, and smooth is fast”. That also applies when backing a trailer. Take your time and the end result will actually be faster than pulling forward a lot to straighten out, with less frustration.

* This post was edited 07/23/20 08:56pm by Boomerweps *

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

Lwiddis

near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/20 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Within reason, longer the TT the easier it will be to backup.
What’s the Jeep’s max payload and what’s the weight you’ll be carrying in it?
Max time boondocking is determined by the amount of fresh water and holding tank capacity. What size tanks do these two have?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds as if you might be looking at Scamps or Casitas, considering the sizes and weights you propose. Did I guess correctly? [emoticon]

The longer trailer punches just about the same hole in the air as the shorter one, so you shouldn't have any difficulty with either one. The 3.6L V6 has enough power to do the job. With the old 5-speed auto, you probably have an overdrive lockout that you'll want to engage while towing to avoid excessive torque converter heat in the tranny.

Backing either trailer is a matter of practice. The shorter one will swing to the side a tad faster than the longer trailer, but not a huge difference.

As for boondocking, size is not much of an issue. But if your fresh water tank is small, you may need to carry extra water (jerry cans work well) depending on how long you want to be in one spot. Pay attention to ground clearance if you plan to boondock along rough forest roads.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can go up another 1000 or so dry and have absolutely no issues.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

HNTucker

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great, thank you for the replies! Again I’m new, and I’m looking at the happier camper[emoticon] it allows me to gut the inside for bikes, kayaks , and pets if needed . It seemed to be even lighter with slightly more versatility than the scamps/casitas for my needs.

I’ll have to look up the overdrive lock out and see what you mean. Send any links you think may be helpful[emoticon]

Thanks!

Lwiddis

near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/20 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The other TT “usables” are electricity and propane. A bottle of propane lasts a long time if you don’t use the heater and electricity can be generated....hopefully by a quiet solar system.

HNTucker

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeeps Max payload is 2030
Fresh water And grey tank on the little guy- 5 gallons
Fresh water And gray on the big guy- 17 gallons
No black water tank

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/20 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HNTucker wrote:

Jeeps Max payload is 2030
Fresh water And grey tank on the little guy- 5 gallons
Fresh water And gray on the big guy- 17 gallons
No black water tank

I'd love to see proof of an actual Jeep with 2030lbs of payload capacity.[emoticon]

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Advance on Travel Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.