Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Excessive Heat in Fifth Wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Excessive Heat in Fifth Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leave the fan in the ON position.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The trailer you have is poorly insulated to start with. If your two units are checking with the outlet air 18 to 20 degF colder than the inlet, the unit si a fine and you need to find shade.

DO NOT use an infrared temp gun to measure air temperature. They only measure the temperature from a solid surface.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/20 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may also want to check the voltage coming into the fifthwheel. If everybody in the park is running two or three A/C units you may be getting low voltage and therefore poor performance from your units.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On a prior trailer I found cool air leakage into the roof assembly at each duct outlet. I pulled each down and added foil tape to seal off.

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/20 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A long reply, but stay with me.

In 16 we left Yosemite in mid July to return to Florida by the southern route. Bartow, Tucson, Bisbee, Sonoma, etc. You get the idea. 35 foot fiver with 15K BTU ducted in the main area and 13K non-ducted in the bedroom. Double paine tinted windows. White roof and slide toppers on all three slides. The desert in July is not your friend.

In Tucson we went to Home Depot and got two rolls of Reflectix brand insulation foil and some blue painter's tape. This stuff is like aluminum foil bubble wrap and is also available, I think, at Camping World.

Cover the inside of every window you can reach. (That makes seeing out a little difficult, but heat comming in is the problem.) Cover skylights and vents also.

That made about a 15 degree difference in 105 degree heat. It is never going to get "cold" inside, but it was far better than 88.

Good luck.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

amxpress

Clayton, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/20 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Open the closet in your bedroom. Remove the shoe storage box mounted on the wall, it's secured by screws. Take a look inside the area behind the closet which is your front cap. You might see a few strips of fiberglass insulation. If you install additional installation inside the front cap, you can make a huge difference in the temperature inside the bedroom and trailer. If you keep the shades closed that's about the best you're going to get. We had a Columbus 320RS and when staying in Boulder City in August, it got over 100 degrees outside. Both units were kicking out max but couldn't get inside down below the low 80's. We did have a small fan we moved around inside.
When we arrived back home, I discovered the area behind the front cap barely had insulation!
After getting insulation from Lowes and spray adhesive, I increased the insulation and it really helped, especially in the bedroom at night.

2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 long bed
2021 Airstream Bambi 22FB
Equal-i-zer hitch
Prodigy P2
Champion 3500 genny
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

jsteward1976

McKinney, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/20 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

What is the temperature of the air blowing out your AC vents?

I’m not sure. I didn’t have a temp gun with me. It did not feel that cold when I put my hand in front of it. I’m getting a temp gun to test it.

jsteward1976

McKinney, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/20 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

jsteward1976 wrote:

This is a 4 part question. I have a Columbus Palamino 5th wheel and went camping this week in Texas. The temperature was only 91, but I was in full sun. I have 2 A/C units. A 15,000 btu Ducted Air Conditioning - Living Room and a 13,500 btu Ducted Air Conditioning - Bedroom, but my trailer got up to 88 degrees inside. I even had the fan on and window shades down.

1.) Is this normal being in full sun?
2.) If I tinted the windows would it help alleviate the heat coming in?
3.) I’ve seen the awnings that go over the slides. Are those worth it to help keep the heat out?
4.) The trailer is a mid bunk. The 2nd bedroom got up to 95 degrees. There was barely any air coming out of the air vent. I took the cover off and felt around but did not feel any obstruction. Is this normal for a 2nd bedroom to not get good airflow?

Thanks - Jeff

Is this a new trailer? Have you run the AC's in the past with no issues? A little more info could help us help you.

Yes, I bought it 8 months ago. I took it out last month, but the temps were only in the low 80’s. The mid bunk are was still warm and never cooled off.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/20 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

Do you by chance have slide toppers? They would help as well.

This makes a big difference in direct sunlight! place your hand on the slide cieling on a sunny day it will be very warm. We added slide toppers and it made a big difference. Also check the seal of the vents both at the A/C unit and the outlets. Use the foil duct tape.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Ron Nielson

Berryton, KS

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One very useful tool to have to help evaluate and fix your HVAC problem is a simple USB borescope. This is a small device which has a camera and light on on end, a cable (you decide which length but 20 ft or so works fine)which plugs into a USB port of your laptop computer. There is generic USB camera software available for free if you don't get it with your borescope, and that should cost in the neighborhood of $20.

Now with the borescope, you can remove one of your vents and with your borescope attached/taped to a stiffener ( a length of 14 ga elec wire will do, or coat hanger, etc), probe the ducts of your trailer. You will likely find that there are holes or voids in the duct that let your cool air escape into the attic above the ceiling. How you patch the hole depends on where it is, access, etc. But I have done this on several trailers and found problems on each of them. After the first vent, go to the next vent, and the next, and the next until as much of your system has been scoped as possible and repaired.

You will be surprised at what a difference this makes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Excessive Heat in Fifth Wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.