cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Understanding GVWR

Heybro
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of getting the Nash 24M, which has a Dry weight of 6023 lbs, and a GVWR of 9200 lbs. Hitch weight of 595lbs. So 3177 lbs of payload is a lot.

If i loaded it up to reach close to that GVWR then I couldn't safely tow it, but I dont feel as if I can ever realistically load over 3000 lbs into my trailer. It's only going to be me living in it and I don't have that many things. Is it still safe to tow? My vehicle has a towing capacity of 9200 lbs and my payload on my truck is 1270lbs. So 200(my weight) + 595(tongue weight) + 100(wdm hitch) = 895. 1270-895 = 375 lbs of available cargo.

Did I do that right? And is 375 lbs enough for cargo? I don't plan on driving it a lot. Mostly going to be at an RV park living there. Also, that cargo will only be a concern when towing. I can manage only having 375 lbs of cargo when towing.
Please educate me if it doesn't seem safe for my truck.
22 REPLIES 22

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
It appears to me that the OP has made up his mind and he's just looking for confirmation that it's the right truck/trailer combo.

Reminds me of a fellow engineer who asked a question but didn't like the answer then said, "I believe you but are you sure?" :S

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Poof!
Terry, you give the mod a reacharound to remove my post for you.
Sorry, bud, just trying to help other members who may not understand your hypocrisy and actually believe you.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mike134 wrote:
Gosh you folks bring a lot of **** in your campers. Wife and I can camp for a week and starting out loaded with clothing, groceries and "usual" camp stuff the camper weights 700lbs more than when it left the factory. What are you bringing to add 1500-2000 lbs?

Agree as to just camping. you really don't need all that stuff. Mine gets lighter every year. However. He is going to be living in it. Not camping. If you are living in a RV. You will have a lot more weight than just camping.. We camp and don't carry 1000LB. But if we lived in it. We would have everything we owned.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And for the towing newbs, trailer weight is a smaller part of the equation than you'd think. Much smaller in some cases.
Length, axle placement, weight distribution, frontal area, together, IMO, make up about 90% of the towing equation (within reason).
something to consider, that they don't teach in rvnet weight cop skool!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

I think SOME folks on here ASSUME that everyone tows with FULL black tank... Full fresh water tank...Full grey tanks...

In 30+ years of camping, I can count on 1 hand how many times I towed with ANY fluids onboard... BUT I do use full service campgrounds almost 100% of the time... Dry camping is not easily accessible here on the NE coast..

Your results may vary !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Well, my TT CC is only 694#. So it's easy to overload the TT when SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) stocks it out like a vacation cottage with stuff for grandkids and visitors. Forget hauling water.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Ejraste
Explorer
Explorer
Mike134 wrote:
Gosh you folks bring a lot of **** in your campers. Wife and I can camp for a week and starting out loaded with clothing, groceries and "usual" camp stuff the camper weights 700lbs more than when it left the factory. What are you bringing to add 1500-2000 lbs?

Yeah, I wondered the same thing. The TT im looking at has CC of 1900 lbs, but i don't see how I'll ever add that much in there. The only way is if you lived there or took long road trips and needed full water tanks and so forth.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that 750-800 is realistic.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
I'm more optimistic and realistic than most of the previous posters. The tongue weight given by the manufacturer is set by the such things as the configuration of the equipment in the trailer and the distance from the hitch point to the axles. Unless you load your things in the trailer very oddly, the tongue weight percentage will remain very close to the same, loaded or unloaded. Even if the batteries and propane are not included in the dry weight which is rare these days, that weight is distributed between the axles and the tongue and not all on the tongue.

If you load 1000 pounds in the trailer (which is quite alot for one; my wife and I add less that 1000 pounds not including water), 10 percent tongue weight will put you right at 700 pounds. Adding in the other weights you listed will reduce your available payload to 270 pounds.

I don't see a problem with these numbers.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:
Please educate me if it doesn't seem safe for my truck.

Maybe I missed it but not knowing what your truck brand....GVWR....RAWR is we have no idea if your numbers are are safe or unsafe.
Your truck or tow vehicle may have more or maybe less available actual payload than your figuring with. Tell us what it is for a better idea what numbers your using.

I use any trailer types dry weights and its GVWR when looking at safe weights for a particular truck. And your right about thinking you will never load some/all trailers up to its GVWR.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thing is you asked for opinions, and you got them. You need more truck
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, it really is unfortunate that the RV industry uses dry weight to push more trailers on the uninformed/unsuspecting buyer.

Our 4 trailers that we've owned scale weighed much closer to GVWR of trailer and no where near the dry weight or UVW.....and ofcourse tongue weight followed suit.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Heybro wrote:
CharlesinGA wrote:
Your hitch weight is unrealistic. Optimum is 13% of the trailer weight. So if you take the dry weight (which you will never see) and multiply by .13 you get 783 lbs. If you use the max gross weight, its 1196 lbs.

Figure about 110 lbs for propane, take the water capacity and multiply by 8 lbs per gallon, then take all the cookware, grill, dump hose, potable water hose, power cord, etc and clothes and personal stuff, extra shoes, etc, it adds up fast.

A realistic tongue weight is more like 950 to 1000 lbs for your situataion. Simply put, your truck is no where close to being capable of doing this.

You need to gas up the truck and go to a scale and spend the $12 or so and weigh it, then you can have some real numbers to work with. Towing capacity is calculated by the manufacturers using a flat bed trailer loaded with (take your pick) bricks/railroad iron/lead/etc and is not representative of towing a big box down the road that reacts to wind and buffeting of trucks. Its simply what the engine, transmission, and rear axle are capable of pulling, and the brakes are capable of stopping, without breaking the first time you tow.

Charles

Charles

Well the 595 lb dry hitch weight is what it says on the manufacturer website which would put the tongue weight around 9.8% of the dry trailer weight. Are you suggesting that they have incorrect numbers posted?

Also, I dont see how you came up with the tongue weight at 900 to 1000 lbs for my situation. How do you figure that? It realistically seems like It would be around 750-800 lbs for my loaded tongue weight.

You aren't understanding that brochure/website "dry" numbers are fictional and are based on a stripped-down version of the trailer. No batteries, no factory options, no dealer add-ons and no water and no cargo.
That's why 10%-13% of GVWR is used for a ballpark loaded tongue weight. And 20% of GVWR for 5th wheel pin weight.
There's a lot of deceptive information in the RV Industry, like so-called 1/2 ton towable 5th Wheels.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes