Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tesla Model X Towing 5,000-lb Camper: 600-Mile Road Trip
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Model X Towing 5,000-lb Camper: 600-Mile Road Trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/20 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

qtla9111 wrote:

Funny how this thread isn't getting the response like the Tesla Semi thread. I guess it's because we now know that a Tesla can indeed tow a travel trailer albeit not quite yet like a fossil fuel powered vehicle. It won't be long.
Yes the journalism to sensationalize an EV running out of power has become a bore. The likes of Broder from the NYT and even the TFL guys deliberately coming up short just does not tell the real truth. Sure EVs have limitations however it is far more realistic to focus on the capabilities than demonstrating certain downfall and failure.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

Where did they dump the kid???? She is in the first leg and then gone!!!

It’s in the narrative. They dumped her at grandmas house for the night. [emoticon]

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/20 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

qtla9111 wrote:

Funny how this thread isn't getting the response like the Tesla Semi thread. I guess it's because we now know that a Tesla can indeed tow a travel trailer albeit not quite yet like a fossil fuel powered vehicle. It won't be long.

I dont see this happining anytime soon. All manafatures have diffrent charging stations. So , they will be propatary to there brand. Until its streamlined and they have the ability to charge all electric vehicals along with the infrastructure to do it, i dont see people racing to get electric TVs.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/20 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

qtla9111 wrote:

I dont see this happining anytime soon. All manafatures have diffrent charging stations. So , they will be propatary to there brand. Until its streamlined and they have the ability to charge all electric vehicals along with the infrastructure to do it, i dont see people racing to get electric TVs.

Sort of. Other than Tesla no manufacturer has their own charging standard. Tesla did theirs because at the time there was no standard that came anywhere close to the 250 KW that Tesla wanted. Chademo was on 50 kw and CCS didn’t exist.

Now every EV truck being developed is CCS compatible. Tesla is still TESLA but has adapters that make their vehicles compatible with CCS or Chademo depending on the region of the world you live. All public stations have both CCS and Chademo plugs. Some dealerships have only CCS or Chademo but these are not considered public stations and in fact are mostly locked up after hours. Many don’t work at all.

So no. Proprietary charging is not an obstacle to EV growth. The amount of fast charging stations still is but that is changing fast.

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/20 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did some math and for the first 510 miles of their trip they used 400 kWh of electricity. Average cost of electricity in USA is $0.1331 per kWh.
That works out to a cost of $0.103 per mile.

I have a 2012 Outback with the 3.6R engine. I tow a small utility trailer which probably weighs a little less than the one towed in this article. But after close to 10,000 miles of towing and hand calculated mpg I got an overall mpg of 22 mpg towing.

At $2.25 which is the price in my area right now my cost is $0.102 per mile.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/20 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RCMAN46 wrote:

I did some math and for the first 510 miles of their trip they used 400 kWh of electricity. Average cost of electricity in USA is $0.1331 per kWh.

I have a 2012 Outback with the 3.6R engine. I tow a small utility trailer which probably weighs a little less than the one towed in this article. But after close to 10,000 miles of towing and hand calculated mpg I got an overall mpg of 22 mpg towing.

That’s a stout little car. Towing 4000 ponds at 22 mpg. Impressive. What is the mileage when not towing?

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/20 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

RCMAN46 wrote:

That’s a stout little car. Towing 4000 ponds at 22 mpg. Impressive. What is the mileage when not towing?

My statement a little less was misleading. The trailer I tow comes in at 2500 lbs so about 1/2 of the Tesla. Towing is at 65 mph but most of my non towing is at 75-80 mph at 28 mpg. Speed makes a big difference as we find towing our 12,000 lb 5th wheels.

The major item when towing is wind resistance. My current 5th wheel is about 3000 lbs heavier than the previous but the mpg is very close to the same towing at the same speeds with the same diesel pick-up. The old trailer had a flat front the new one is more curved for wind resistance.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/20 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RCMAN46 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

RCMAN46 wrote:

My statement a little less was misleading. The trailer I tow comes in at 2500 lbs so about 1/2 of the Tesla. Towing is at 65 mph but most of my non towing is at 75-80 mph at 28 mpg. Speed makes a big difference as we find towing our 12,000 lb 5th wheels.

The major item when towing is wind resistance. My current 5th wheel is about 3000 lbs heavier than the previous but the mpg is very close to the same towing at the same speeds with the same diesel pick-up. The old trailer had a flat front the new one is more curved for wind resistance.

Still. 28 mpg at 75 - 80 mpg in an outback with a 6 cylinder motor is great.

* This post was edited 07/25/20 02:30pm by Reisender *

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/20 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did my post as I was impressed with the Tesla.

I compared it to my Outback to show the Tesla was getting about the equivalent of 22 mpg towing a 5000 lb trailer at 60-70 mph average.

Not sure if a diesel pick-up will do any better with a 5000 lb trailer.

Range is the major problem but as they put in larger batteries the economy will suffer due to the extra weight. Unlike diesel or gas the weight does not decrease as the miles add up on a trip.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/20 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RCMAN46 wrote:

I did my post as I was impressed with the Tesla.

I compared it to my Outback to show the Tesla was getting about the equivalent of 22 mpg towing a 5000 lb trailer at 60-70 mph average.

Not sure if a diesel pick-up will do any better with a 5000 lb trailer.

Range is the major problem but as they put in larger batteries the economy will suffer due to the extra weight. Unlike diesel or gas the weight does not decrease as the miles add up on a trip.

I’m not up on the science much but I think diesel does inherently better because there is more energy in a gallon of diesel than a gallon of gas. Our Ford dualiy powerstroke got better mileage than out GMC 3/4 ton gasser 350.

Yep. Range costs weight on EV’s. Kind of a vicious circle. It will be interesting to see the specs on the various manufacturers of E-trucks as they come out. I think they’ll be heavy. Our model 3 Tesla is almost 4000 pounds for a 5 passenger car. Crazy fast though so you get something in the tradeoff. Zero to sixty in 4 seconds flat. Woohoo. [emoticon]. Model 3’s are extremely limited in towing though. 900 ish kg or about 2000 pounds. Model Y is better suited to towing at 3500 pounds. Also has a hatchback so lots of room like your outback. I’m not in love with the looks of the model Y though. And wife wanted a sport sedan soooo. She picked the colours. Now she’s a Tesla freak. [emoticon]. She's even making Tesla rock jewelry. Meh. Happy wife...............

[image]

[image]

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Model X Towing 5,000-lb Camper: 600-Mile Road Trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.