cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back Up Camera

Pop-A-Top
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to find a wireless middle of the road priced back up camera for my 5th wheel. I and 82 years old and we don't go camping but a few times a year so would like to keep the price down and still have a good camera....Thanks for any help you can give...
Retired Army 1976
2010 Chev Silverado 1500...4X4....3.42 Axle
2010 Pima 253FBS 5th Wheel
1986 Rockwood MH..36'...Chev 454

Do Not Corner Anything Meaner Than You..
8 REPLIES 8

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
I got this a couple of weeks back:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Reverse-Vehicles-Waterproof-Andriod/dp/B084TJRMLY/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Podofo+Wireless+Backup+Camera&qid=1596156807&sr=8-4

Works quite well, surprisingly, just have to extend the antenna as it drops the WiFi connection sometimes.
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xQzLwgtb88
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
Just a note: we have had rear observation cameras (more frequent sampling and better resolution than a "backup" camera) on both of our fivers. I find them to be of minimal use when backing into sites. That operation goes much smoother with my wife back there on the phone or with a walkie-talkie. The cameras do serve some purpose confirming when it's safe to pull back over after passing a semi on a hill, etc.

Rob

Rob, I agree with you. Mine is a Voyager I've had about 5 or 6 years. It even has sound. It just does not have the clarity or wide angle I'd prefer in comparison to the what my truck has. On the rare occasion I'm by myself, I defiantly rely on it a bit more.
There's nothing better than a good spotter with agreed upon hand signals who knows how/where to stand so that you can alwasy see them in your mirrors. Now with the bluetooh in the truck we just use our phone, too.
I'm often amused at the flailing, waving ups and motions people will exhibit when helping someone back up. Simple concise direction from the spotter - left, right, stop. That's it.
Save your money and get a new grill, larger TV or some nice comfy fireside chairs. Safe travels.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Following is a reply and follow up I made to a similar question on this forum. Cost was in the $175 range.

I installed this one from Amazon during the off season for my 31 ft. trailer. It works great sitting underneath the carport. Looking forward to the first tow next week. It is wireless and was an easy install. The field of view looks sufficient to cover some blind spots. Maybe I'll check back in a week. AMTIFO FHD 1080P Digital Wireless Backup Camera,Hitch Camera with 7'' DVR Monitor Support Split/Quard Screen for Pickups,Trucks,Trailers,RV,5th Wheels High-Speed Observation System

I promised a follow up, here it is. I built an adapter so the monitor mounts to my rear view mirror. The resolution of the monitor is very good however the brightness could be better especially when wearing sunglasses. I had a full signal all the time and there was no pixelation or frame freezing with the unit (up to 70 mph). Everything seemed reduced in size, a magnification feature would have been helpful. I could tell a vehicle was behind me and they would be in the camera view well into the point where my mirrors picked it up. I towed in the rain; the camera lens did not clear well and was pretty much useless. Once the rain stopped, the lens quickly cleared. Our site was a pull through so I did not use the camera for backing.

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
I rely on my rear camera more to verify that there is not an obstruction behind me when backing and as a rearview "mirror" while driving. I rely on my side mirrors to guide me when backing up.

I have the wireless Tadi Brothers but the wiring "harness" is cumbersome. Maybe the newer ones are better??
magic43

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a note: we have had rear observation cameras (more frequent sampling and better resolution than a "backup" camera) on both of our fivers. I find them to be of minimal use when backing into sites. That operation goes much smoother with my wife back there on the phone or with a walkie-talkie. The cameras do serve some purpose confirming when it's safe to pull back over after passing a semi on a hill, etc.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a Haloview Observation and Backup camera for $340 but they sell less expensive camera and monitor systems. Go to amazon and search for Haloview and you'll see a bunch of options
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

GASMAN6674
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a unit from Tadi Brothers and have been very happy with it.
Got two cameras and a seven inch monitor for under $500 ( sorry dont remember exactly) camera for the TV was plug and play for my furrion premiere.
And I use the second one as a hitch cam.
Jim & Debbie England
Do you have Gas? Propane Exceptional Energy
2015 F350 CCLB 6.2L/4:30 Vermilion Red
2020 Cougar 364BHLGone but not forgotten 2012 Ridgeline 34RLT fifth wheel/2012 V27FK V-Cross TT