Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning a Dutch Oven after use

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!

When I use my Dutch oven with charcoal the outside of the oven is covered in soot. I clean the inside by just wiping it out with a towel.

I try wiping the outside but it really doesn't remove the soot. How do you clean the outside?

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
12 REPLIES 12

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
As far as the ashes on the lid I just rinse them off with the garden hose and nylon brush.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Soot only happens with a smokey burn. Should not be a issue with charcoal or coals. What I have build up on top of oven is ash. Best thing is a dry stiff brush. Once wet, it is hard to clean.
A friend that likes to keep his oven looking new will coat the top of lid for when it is stored, but washes it off before he puts coals on.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Using liquid soap on the outside of cast iron when cooking over wood is what our Scout troops have done forever. Makes cleanup real easy.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I've read about the trick of coating the outside of the pot with dish soap prior to the cooking, to keep soot from sticking. I guess as long as the lid is on, that can't affect the food cooking inside.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I clean my cast iron with a chain mail scrubber. Amazon. It works really well. No soap on the cooking surface. Dawn on the outside.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I cook with wood. The ash comes right off.
There is plenty of folklore about DOs. Once they have been used awhile it is no big deal to use water and even some soap on them. The important thing is that have to be dry.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
On the rare occasion that I use my cast iron on an open fire, I clean the outside with soap and water. If it is a real sooty mess, I pick up a handful of sand and scrub the outside with that. After using the sand and water, I switch to soap and water to clean off the dirt. Nothing like a hand powered sand blaster to get rid of greasy soot.

I also use soap on the inside of my cast iron pans and ovens. They are very old and well seasoned and I have never ruined the seasoning of the pans. I do not soak the pans in soapy water, I just add soap and water, scrub, and rinse.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
That's weird, mine never get sooty on the outside. I typically use name brand charcoal (Kingsford) the cheaper brands end to burn out too quickly.

I would use soap on the outside to clean the soot. But then again I use soap on the inside as well. I've never bought into the no soap thing and my coating is fine. Just don't use the green scrubbing side of the dish sponge when washing.

OP Here

The lid is the worst from having the charcoal sitting on it.

Thinking that a quick rinse of the lid in hot water and then dry it really well might be enough. I'm also thinking to just wipe the outside with a damp paper towel and also make sure to dry it really well.

I don't use soap unless I'm planning on reseasoning the oven again. The inside must be seasoned okay because nothing really sticks to it and I can usally get it clean by wiping it out.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
That's weird, mine never get sooty on the outside. I typically use name brand charcoal (Kingsford) the cheaper brands end to burn out too quickly.

I would use soap on the outside to clean the soot. But then again I use soap on the inside as well. I've never bought into the no soap thing and my coating is fine. Just don't use the green scrubbing side of the dish sponge when washing.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

1995brave
Explorer II
Explorer II
When i was in the Boy Scouts, we would put soap on the outside of the pots and pans that we used over the open fire and they would clean right up.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious to what others will have to say about it, but if it was me, I'd find a cardboard box that fits the oven and store it without bothering to get the soot off.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been using iron pots for 40 years. First you knock the dust off. You can rinse it with water if you want, as long as you dry it off immediately. Will not hurt a thing.