cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hydrogen Peroxide

Road_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Can hydrogen peroxide be used to purify or sanitise my fresh water system. I read somewhere the it does not have a lingering presence like bleach does and does not take as much rinsing like bleach does! Any body use this! Road Dog
14 REPLIES 14

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using the 20~25% H2O2 from the hot tub place for years. That reminds me, I'm out. It works great and we have never had a problem and I don't need to rinse the system forever so that the drinking water doesn't taste like a public swimming pool.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Ironically......this topic is in the General RVโ€™ing section of this forum! How many people consumed โ€œcontaminatedโ€ campground water prior to the sign being placed! My thoughts are that a properly maintained/treated RV fresh water systems posses no more risk, than assuming the water supply you connect to is โ€œSAFEโ€! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
For those using peroxide, how many gallons of 3% peroxide do you use to treat/sanitize your RV fresh tank and complete water system?

To those that oppose or fear the use of chlorine in your RV fresh tank, most municipalities use chlorine in their city water systems to treat/sanitize their potable water! If used in the proper concentrations โ€œa very low, approximately 1ppm, chlorine residual remains in the potable waterโ€..... it is perfectly safe for human/pet consumption. The โ€œonlyโ€™ persons at risk are the water treatment employees that are using the chlorine in extremely high concentrations!

Provided the chlorine bleach, used to treat/sanitize your RV water system, is household bleach โ€œwithoutโ€ the chemicals used to give it an artificial โ€œfreshโ€ scent...it will be a safe and perfectly acceptable means of treating/sanitizing your RV water system! JMO. - memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
We use household bleach (no โ€œfruitโ€ flavors ;)), each year prior to use. We โ€œDOโ€ use our onboard fresh water......and have since the beginning of our Rvโ€™ing ( early 1970โ€™s). If your system is cleaned and you put quality water in the tank...there is absolutely โ€œnoโ€ logical reason not to use that water for drinking/cooking! I guess if your RV only sees campground use .....then perhaps using the campground water is great. However, thereโ€™s is always the possibility that campground water may not be up to EPA standards, or as โ€œsanitaryโ€ as your fresh tank water! Useless you know the quality of the campground water....itโ€™s a โ€œroll of the diceโ€! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
If Hydrogen peroxide used under "normal" conditions works for sanitizing your fresh water systems, your system didn't need sanitizing in the first place.
bumpy

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œ H2o2 is a great sanitizer and it's perfectly safe. โ€

Not at the concentrations needed for water purification. 35-50% hydrogen peroxide is a VERY STRONG oxidizer (stronger than chlorine bleach). It can react violently in contact with some organics. 50% can intensify a fire, 70% can actually cause a fire or explosion. You better know what youโ€™re doing if you plan to use any concentration higher than the grocery or drug store version. Even if it says โ€œfood gradeโ€ on it.

In order to use 3% h2o2 for DISINFECTION, it needs to be used at full strength (undiluted) and remain in contact with the surface for at least 30 minutes. Also, and this is important, the surfaces should be CLEANED first before using h2o2. Since most RV fresh water tanks canโ€™t be cleaned internally, and canโ€™t be completely drained of water, using 3% h2o2 for disinfection will be ineffective. IMHO, of course.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bleach is a very caustic chemical. Not only is it poison, it's harmful to your pulmonary system and it's harmful to septic systems (not your on board tanks, but the system you dump into). H2o2 is a great sanitizer and it's perfectly safe.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
They sell higher concentrations of H2O2 at water treatment stores. The local water softener place sells 35% food grade for $60 per gallon. It is NOT inexpensive. In our area, it is used to remove sulphur smell from well water. Chlorine is much cheaper, but it has its own set of issues.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
For water treatment, concentrations of 35-50 % hydrogen peroxide are used.

The H2O2 you can buy in the grocery or drug store is about 3%, then will be further diluted when you put in in your fresh water tank.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We use Baquacil in our swimming pool, not chlorine, it is hydrogen peroxide not bleach.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Everything you would want to know..and then some...

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=hydroen+perocxide+to+treat+water

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
It would certainly be available option than bleach, I don't know that it kills all germs but it would kill some. I'll follow the thread to see what you learn, thanks
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Bleach is the standard and I DO drink the water in my fresh tank.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jgellis586
Explorer
Explorer
I used hydrogen peroxide for many years works fine and does not leave lingering smell.
I would maybe rinse once and that was it. I never drank the water from my on board water.