Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: truck/trailer sway
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> truck/trailer sway

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

No, you don’t need to re-weigh anything.
You have about 1000lb tongue weight and a 5700lb trailer.
Just do the math. It’s only addition and subtraction
Looks like about perfect loading for a half ton.
Carry on and don’t make it a rvnet science project.....the geezers here will be having you add the weight of every half rack of beer you pack and deduct if you’ve had a bowel movement since weighing the last time!

This X2!! I run my 1/2ton which has a GVWR of 7050 at 7000 give or take 100lbs or so. Weighted it twice once for weekend and for a week trip always hovers around 7000. Same with the trailer have a sure line tongue weight scale always 15-17% tongue weight. Love how rock steady it tows.
Don't need to measure down to the ounce.

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/20 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your front axle has more weight with the WDS than it does with no trailer attached. That shouldn't happen. You need to reduce the WDS tension some. Yes, I know it isn't a LOT more, but it shouldn't be more, at all.

You reduce tongue weight by shifting where you load stuff in/on the trailer. Move stuff from in front of the trailer axles to behind the trailer axles.

According to those weights, your tongue weight is 1040#, but 15% of the trailer weight is 700#. So, 700# should be the max for tongue weight. After you get the tongue weight where it needs to be, be sure you aren't using WDS to put more weight on the front axle than the truck has with no trailer.

* This post was edited 07/30/20 08:03pm by Bobbo *

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have returned the TV's front axle weight almost to normal without anything hooked up...20 lbs (3,040 vs 3,020) Better than many...

Check your TV's manual on that, as the old rule of thumb of even drop is no more because the OEMs have all changed their suspensions so much

Some say to return to within XXX lbs of unhooked weight

Some say to return the front height to +/- XX inches of unhooked height

I try to NOT ever say 'you are good for it', but the finished setup orientation and reference your manual. What works for me, is not like a one size fits all sock

Have seen folks run in circles dialing in this, changing that, etc because it worked for someone else's TV

allkidd wrote:

Now I believe that I have all the proper weights:

With WDS engaged:
Front axle truck 3040
Drive axle 3080
Trailer 4760

Wthout WDS:
Front truck 2680
Drive 3540
Trailer 4640

Truckonly:
steer Axle 3020
Drive 2160

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/20 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hate to say it, hes pretty good on weight. And i still say lt tires will help some. But in the end its a bigger TT and there will be some assosiations that come with that. You could get lt tires, bigger suspention in the back but it will still be work. Just the way it is. ( i still think the tires will help a lot). The guys that say they have a half ton pick up and tow 6000lbs TT and dont feel it are not atually telling the whole story.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 10:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

allkidd wrote:

According to a calculator I found online, my tongue weight is 18%. I think everybody agrees this is too high.

How do I bring this down?

As suggested, I increased my truck tire pressure to 50. For the short highway drive to the weight station, it seemed to help some but don't think it is the total solution.

Several have mentioned the equalizer as the best system. I might be interested in switching. My Blue Ox uses chains for connection and it is very difficult to get it as tight as the manufacturer recommends. I have to raise the hitch way high to get it latched on and off. Even at that it requires a lot of strength of which I'm not sure I will have enough of everyday.

I ran the Reese Dual Cam system on mine and was very happy with it. No sway and easy to hook up.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 11:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Question to the OP. What have you towed before?
It’s a trailer. Heavy tongue weight (expected. Load 1000lbs in the back and report back to us.
Or get over the fact that pulling a trailer doesn’t feel like driving a buick.
Sheesh
You’re good

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

I hate to say it, hes pretty good on weight. And i still say lt tires will help some. But in the end its a bigger TT and there will be some assosiations that come with that. You could get lt tires, bigger suspention in the back but it will still be work. Just the way it is. ( i still think the tires will help a lot). The guys that say they have a half ton pick up and tow 6000lbs TT and dont feel it are not atually telling the whole story.

Sounds like my trailer with my 1/2 ton. Do I feel it? yes the truck accelerates and slows longer than no trailer. Can I drive with one hand ? yes! Does it sway? NO! Does it suck push with semis passing? depends on their passing speed. Do I need a bigger truck? Nope!! It's a pleasure to tow. Could be because my 1/2 ton runs about 7000lbs (it's gross is 7050) and the camper is only 6500.

camperforlife

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK I haven't been on here in a while and I skimmed the replies. I had that squirrely feeling with my Blue Ox and just couldn't get it tuned in. I talked with Blue Ox several times and finally a tech at Blue Ox said in some rare tuck/trailer combos the trucks built in traction control/anti sway fought the Blue Ox set up. He suggested shutting off the traction control. I did it and now it's the best towing trailer that I've ever towed.

allkidd

Lee's Summit

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/20 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperforlife wrote:

OK I haven't been on here in a while and I skimmed the replies. I had that squirrely feeling with my Blue Ox and just couldn't get it tuned in. I talked with Blue Ox several times and finally a tech at Blue Ox said in some rare tuck/trailer combos the trucks built in traction control/anti sway fought the Blue Ox set up. He suggested shutting off the traction control. I did it and now it's the best towing trailer that I've ever towed.

I never thought of the traction control being a problem. I will give it a try...thanks!

lbrjet

Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your weights look good.

2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> truck/trailer sway
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.